Cowon Plenue M
Sep 3, 2015 at 4:17 AM Post #76 of 203
I have one of these babies on order (yup, looks like there's a global shortage). I'm having to wait until the end of the month :frowning2:

I came extremely close to choosing the P1 but the extra battery life was the cherry on top for me since there's not a whole heap of difference with the Burr Brown DACs. The lesser storage space is a bit of an annoyance but assuming the 200gb cards work in the M you're still looking at around 255gb which is ample for me (I'm also guessing I can use a microSD-to-SD adapter should I need any more storage.

Sep 10, 2015 at 6:56 AM Post #77 of 203
I have one of these babies on order (yup, looks like there's a global shortage). I'm having to wait until the end of the month :frowning2:

I came extremely close to choosing the P1 but the extra battery life was the cherry on top for me since there's not a whole heap of difference with the Burr Brown DACs. The lesser storage space is a bit of an annoyance but assuming the 200gb cards work in the M you're still looking at around 255gb which is ample for me (I'm also guessing I can use a microSD-to-SD adapter should I need any more storage.

Share us some thoughts :)

Oct 9, 2015 at 4:51 AM Post #79 of 203
Has anyone managed to locate any good cases for the Plenue (other than the Dignis, Cowon official and the Tuff Love)? I like the official case but at £50 I feel it's wee bit overpriced. Does anyone have one to confirm the build quality?

Thanks.

Oct 9, 2015 at 6:16 AM Post #80 of 203
  Has anyone managed to locate any good cases for the Plenue (other than the Dignis, Cowon official and the Tuff Love)? I like the official case but at £50 I feel it's wee bit overpriced. Does anyone have one to confirm the build quality?

Thanks.

I didint find many cases for cowon PM beside official cowon case and dignis, but i found a case for Blackberry that fits the player. Quite snug and good quality. I bought the official case for around $20 in my country.

Anyway, share us your thoughts about the player!

Oct 12, 2015 at 8:07 AM Post #81 of 203
EDITED/UPDATED

I finally took possession of my ‘M’ a few days ago, after waiting a month for them to come back into stock. Previously, I’d graduated from a modified iPod Gen 5 (took out the HD, replaced it with a CF card adaptor and Rockboxed it), then on to an iBasso DX90 via the DX50.

I love the DX90 it was the DAP that made me realise just how much better you can get your music to sound. I’d paired it with the Westone W40s and then recently moved to the NAD HP50s. The NADs are a fantastic set of cans for the money and outperform the more expensive W40s.

So, here I am after having shelled out nearly 500 clams for the next step up the ladder. It wasn’t easy justifying the expenditure, but I did in the end ;o)

After charging and powering up, the first step was to update the FW, which was nice and simple. The first thing to strike me was how slick and smooth the UI was. I’d coped with the DX90’s very dull (literally) and somewhat buggy UI for quite a while, so the snappy Plenue was like coming into the light after being in a dark room. I should also add the the unit itself is a thing of minimalist beauty. Hmmmm…milled aluminium…(said in a Homer Simpson voice).

Popping my 128gb card in I was also very impressed at the time it took to scan (around 90 seconds). A quick tour through the screens was straightforward and self-explanatory. The Jet effects looked very tasty but I was going to save that for a more prolonged listening session. I also tried my SD to microSd adaptor (something that I could never get to work properly on my DX90) and it easily and quickly read the 256gb card…woo-hoo! That meant I’d have a player with a potential storage of over 300gb. This was one of my main reasons for switching players. I’d looked at the Fiio X5 and its dual card slots. I’d also auditioned the Calyx and the Questyle but then when you start to look at this sort of stuff in more detail you start to want more bells and whistles, so the ‘M’ with its Burr-Brown 1975 and it’s 64gb on-board memory popped onto my radar (after lusting after the P1, but realising that the small compromises in the ‘M’ [less memory and moderately lower spec DAC] and its more parent-friendly price was better suited to my pocket).

So, the sound? I should point out I’m not an audiophile but am a musophile. I love my music, it keeps me sane in an insane world and because I do most of my listening on the move, this is where I choose to spend my money, cautiously. Although having said that my partner looks at me with my, now 3, redundant players and multiple sets of phones and rolls her eyes.

I listen to a complete spectrum of stuff; classical, jazz, rock, soul/funk, electronic, acoustic, you name it, if it’s got balls I’ll listen to it. With the DX90 I loved the soundstage it gave and (despite one or two FW updates knackering the sound-sig) the lovely warm, non-tiring sound. I’d never really used the EQ much because, to me, it never really improved the flat sound I was getting out of it.

Anyway, on to the ‘M’. I took a quick tour of some of my favourite HD tracks. First up, Tears For Fears “The Working Hour”, then Genesis “Back in NYC”, Daft Punk “Contact”, David Bowie “Golden Years”, Donny Hathaway “Live” aaaaaand Madre Dios! I knew people were saying it was a step up but for me it was like graduating from a point-and-shoot camera to my Nikon D700. The first thing I realised was the mid-range. Vocals popped out of the mix like they never had with the DX90. It took me by surprise at first. It’s a part of the sound that for me the DX90 had never excelled at but the ‘M’ brought it all into such sharp focus. On top of that there was the bass. On the DX90 bass was present but didn’t carry as much weight as it probably should have. I always thought it was a limitation in my cans (the HD50s) but the ‘M’ brought a clarity and speed that was entirely new to me and was extremely satisfying. Then the treble, the ‘M’ sprinkled just a little bit of fairy dust onto the top to set the whole sound off. My HP50s changed up a gear admirably to accommodate all of this extra information. I was stunned quite frankly and spent the next three hours with a stoopid grin on face. I usually measure playback of a system by its ability to cope with complex drums (i.e. Phil Collins virtuoso drumming on “Back in NYC” along with Omar Hakim ‘tearing **** up’ on Daft Punk’s “Contact”) and the ‘M’ re-created these with amazing realism. Cymbals had crispness and sustain, toms had reverb and the snare had snap. There was so much space and detail between all the instruments. I was a very happy camper indeed.

The JetEffects; well as we know there’s a myriad of pre-sets plus 4 user-definable sets. As I mentioned I’ve been use to just listening flat with no eq but since Cowon had gone to such effort I felt it’d be churlish not to take a tour. The BBE headphone settings proved to be my favourite, specifically number 2. It’s just raised everything in scale without sounding like an obvious addition. So far I haven’t turned it off. The reverb, chorus and flange settings I’ll save for when I’m feeling silly, although I think some of the reverb settings may work really well with some live recordings.

So, after all that gushing is there any negatives? Well, perhaps one or two. The lack of a case is a pain and I don’t mean just that the P1 comes with one and ‘M’ doesn’t, I mean that currently we really only have 3 options; the official Cowon leather case, the Dignis and the Tuff-Love wallet –style case. Although the Cowon looks nice, at £50 I can’t help but feel I’m being played just because I’ve bought an expensive DAP. I’ve bought leather bags that didn’t cost that much. I had a Dignis case for my DX90 and lovely it was too but again for the P1 you’re looking at around the same price. The Tuff-Love case was what I’ve compromised with at £34 but to be honest it looks a bit naff. Why would I carry around my credit cards and cash with my DAP!? It’ll do for now because I think it looks to offer the most protection. And that’s another slight pain, without a case the Plenue is as slippy as a bar of soap, which is a worry with such a high-value piece of consumer electronics. My last quibble is that it took me forever to work out how to get to the basic EQ settings. It is mentioned in the manual but it didn’t seem that clear to me.

Finally then, for me this is where I’ll be for the foreseeable future. The only thing on my list now is possibly the Oppo PM3’s but I’d need to know that they outperformed the HP50s some margin.

The Plenue M was everything I hoped it would be and then some. It’s added a level of detail and focus to my music that I always suspected was there but couldn’t see a way of releasing. DSD playback is fantastic, particularly its ability to play SACD ISOs. The processor has enough grunt to stream very high bit-rates (something that my DX90 struggled with at times) and to keep the UI moving quickly and smoothly. The addition of an SD to microSD adaptor should keep your storage qualms at bay. I’d happily recommend the Plenue M as a ‘just about affordable’ step up from the DX90 / X5. I guess we just need to see what iBasso and Fiio can’t do with their next flagship models, although it’s clear to me that Cowon have the expertise and infrastructure that has enabled them to produce and extremely professional DAP. I’m just looking forward to the next firmware.
Update: I've been using the 'M' as a DAC from my laptop over the weekend, using the optical-out and I'm extremely impressed! 100% simple to use (plug it in select the device via audio manager and away you go!), the SQ is, as you'd expect, considerably better than my generic Realtek HD soundcard. The only slight issue is when using with video due to the slight delay (4ms). That's easily fixable with VLC's track-sync function but not so easy with any web streamed stuff.

It's funny that the problems that vexed the DX90 so much (DAC function, gapless playback, not-great UI) works straight out of the box with the Cowon. To my mind that's the difference between a quality product and not-quite product. I wonder if the DX80 will resolve those problems?

So, it's been a couple of weeks with the 'M' now and I'm still really impressed.

Oct 12, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #82 of 203
Your readup almost confirmed a purchase from my side, especially when I did went thru the DAPs u mentioned, from DX50 to DX90. Before the DX50 I had played around with the Cowon j3 and sony x1060, both were good, but then came good mobile HP outs then I went back the portable way, now that I've my customs with a DX90, ur description of the Cowon sounds fantastic, especially the mids that i'm longing for.
But I do have a question, what different in sound signature do u notice from the Cowon M and DX90? Which is warmer? While I find DX90 a tad warm, I do feel its on the bright side as the details are particularly pronounced and mids isn't, to my ear, a very strong or distinct feature with the player.

Oct 12, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #83 of 203
Good review.

I am a long term Cowon fan, owning such DAPs as the D2, C2, i9 and i9+. I was a huge BBE junkie :D

These days I have 'moved on' towards the more boutique line of DAPs, namely the Alien Shozy started me on this path as well as my current go to toy the AP100.

The M is certainly very attractive, especially so seeing as their firmware seems more advanced (I have longed for Cowon to support tagged Lyrics =)

I've always felt Cowon were the top when it came to sound signature. The inclusion of BBE/Jet Effect meant that the user can pretty much steer the DAP to any sound they so choose. Warmer or colder it's all possible with BBE/Jet Effect. Close soundstage or further away etc. So my advice is to any would be potential buyer is to not overly focus on sound quality because with enough patience you can make it sound exactly as you like!
Focus instead on features etc.

The M is too overpriced for me, it sits at $999AUD, and the AP100 was my most expensive DAP at $330 (tho it came with a case easily worth $50).

In comparison I find the sound quality of the i9+ etc to be enough for me, it's just that these 'generic' DAPs are very hissy, especially when paired with my Yamaha EPH100 IEMs (it's when you connect these headphones to other sources such as the AP100 and Shozy that you realise it's not the headphones at fault per se but rather the source!).

I am hoping Cowon release another non plenue DAP, something in the middle ground, maybe priced around $300-400AUD that can take all the benefits of what the M has (new better firmware + decent parts that provide low level/no hiss) + something smaller and lighter with more battery life.

I'm not looking to drive cans, just IEMs so the M is likely overkill (in the same way the AP100 is most likely as well).

I find myself wanting (yet again) the product that doesn't exist. Something better than a 'generic' DAP (like a Sansa Clip/Cowon i9) but not quite as bad ass as a boutique DAP (that has enough grunt for cans but suffers in battery life).

Time will tell.

I'm glad yer enjoying yer M. Now take off that screen protector you big girl!!

Oct 13, 2015 at 4:55 AM Post #84 of 203
  "...what different in sound signature do u notice from the Cowon M and DX90? Which is warmer? While I find DX90 a tad warm, I do feel its on the bright side as the details are particularly pronounced and mids isn't, to my ear, a very strong or distinct feature with the player."

I have to say that I'm 46 years old have some slight hearing problems mainly due to too many nights in front of big speakers in clubs and so what I hear may be different to what you'd hear from the 'M'. Having said that, the DX90 was the first DAP that revealed the subtleties of some of my recordings. By that I mean that the clarity, soundstage allowed me to hear things I'd been unable to catch with the DX50 and the iPod before that. But to me the mids were always a bit veiled and the bass lacked punch. No such problem with the 'M' to me it sounds crystal clear in comparison. At first it took me by surprise and my first thought was that this may be a bit too forward and be tiring to listen to, but I quickly realised that all of the music was excellently balanced. Bass was very tight and fast, mids were so much more forward than the DX50 and the highs sparkled. In addition the separation was fantastic.

I took a gamble but it was a gamble I was confident would pay off. I'd read enough to convince me that the 'M' would be a marked improvement on the DX90 and for the extra cost I felt it was worth it.

I have to disagree with  BruceBanner though because to me the sound quality is the most important aspect. Features are just icing on the cake (and they are very nice features admittedly).

I would say if you can afford it and you love music as much as I do then I think you'd be hard pushed to find as good a DAP for the money.

Hope that was helpful but feel free to ask me any other questions.

Oct 13, 2015 at 6:54 AM Post #85 of 203

I have to say that I'm 46 years old have some slight hearing problems mainly due to too many nights in front of big speakers in clubs and so what I hear may be different to what you'd hear from the 'M'. Having said that, the DX90 was the first DAP that revealed the subtleties of some of my recordings. By that I mean that the clarity, soundstage allowed me to hear things I'd been unable to catch with the DX50 and the iPod before that. But to me the mids were always a bit veiled and the bass lacked punch. No such problem with the 'M' to me it sounds crystal clear in comparison. At first it took me by surprise and my first thought was that this may be a bit too forward and be tiring to listen to, but I quickly realised that all of the music was excellently balanced. Bass was very tight and fast, mids were so much more forward than the DX50 and the highs sparkled. In addition the separation was fantastic.

I took a gamble but it was a gamble I was confident would pay off. I'd read enough to convince me that the 'M' would be a marked improvement on the DX90 and for the extra cost I felt it was worth it.

I have to disagree with  BruceBanner though because to me the sound quality is the most important aspect. Features are just icing on the cake (and they are very nice features admittedly).

I would say if you can afford it and you love music as much as I do then I think you'd be hard pushed to find as good a DAP for the money.

Hope that was helpful but feel free to ask me any other questions.

Ah... wait a sec, I think you missed what I was trying to say. Allow me to clarify.

Of course Sound Quality is important, it's THEE most important thing in all things considered 'audiophile'. But what do we really mean when we say 'Sound Quality'?

Take for example the Alien Shozy, a screenless DAP with no DSPs (Eq's etc), it is very much a case of WYHIWYG (What You Hear Is What You Get). But even then the story changes depending upon what pairing of headphone is used with the DAP, and then what kind of recording is used.

My point with the Cowon M is that BBE and Jet Effect have been around for such a long time now and have such an excellent reputation, this in combination with the components used in the M (as well as it's suggestive price point) all point to the promise that they WILL deliver in providing excellent sound quality.

Unlike the Alien Shozy, the Cowon M has a intricate and vast array of DSPs to 'play' with, allowing the user to tweak any component of the already excellent sound quality more towards their individual preference.
I am also getting on a bit (36yrs old) and what I have learned is that there is no such thing as one sound quality that trumps all others. That is... some users like a little more Bass (Bass heads), some like more sparkling treble, some (depending upon the music genre) might prefer a more colder analytical response, others warm.
There really is no one set point to please all (which is why EQ's have presets for various genres, albeit they are often exaggerated in Frequency Response markings, the point is being made that this particular genre might sound better with a more V shaped signature than Flat etc etc).

And we haven't even gotten to the part about various headphones that are steered in a particular direction of sound, an eq/DSP allows for such tweaking as to compensate for any sound that is not quite to the liking of the user of said headphones.

I write in great detail in the AP100 review (linked above) about how the dedicated EQ button is incredibly handy for this reason. Shuffling all my collection (which can be quite eclectic) allows for toggling between different subtle boosts or reductions (in the FR) where needed thus satisfying my need to hear each and every song to the best of it's ability as its being listened to (with ease). More often than not this is to compensate for bad recordings, the majority of newly recorded work is fine flat.

So when I'm saying 'don't worry about Sound Quality' from the M, I am meaning to say it will undoubtedly be excellent with the addition of arguably the best widest array of DSPs known to a DAP to cater to something that is more to your liking if that is even the case.

FWIW I recall you saying you liked the BBE Headphone presets, you remind me a lot of my experience with the i9 I owned a few years back as it was Headphone 1 and 2 I also enjoyed the most.
I then began researching other threads of other users who had Cowons and discussing other peoples BBE/Jet Effect settings. It was then that I stumbled upon a guy called (something like) mdwright1032, he shared his settings and I tried them. WOW.... they were incredible and BLEW AWAY any BBE Preset Cowon had to offer. They made Headphone 1 and 2 sound dull in comparison.
Just this very year I shared a slight tweaked version of those settings on 'anythingbutipod' forum to some other users and people were responding like "Are you ******* kidding me?!! I have been using my i9+ for a whole year and only NOW do I find this amazing configuration!!!!"

My point is not to brag, that I somehow hold the holy grail of Cowon dsp settings, who knows, if u tried them u might find them horrid, artificial and unnecessary, because it all depends upon the user, genre and other equipment being used.
What I am trying to say is there is a massive scope for changing the sound signature with Cowon that I find it hard to imagine anyone being dissatisfied in getting what they want to hear from it.

Not all EQ's are equal. From what I gather the AP100 is excellent (because it's hardware based), the Fiio X3/X5's not so great (due to being Software), and despite the BBE/Jet Effect being software they do have an excellent reputation. I can't comment on the DX50/90 as I have never owned.

IMO too many people talk about 'Sound Quality' and never enough about EQ/DSP settings, it's as if it's heresy to drift away from Flat/Normal!! Nonsense! If the DAP lacks punchy Bass then give it more via the EQ! With the Cowon range not only are you treated to BBE settings, MAch3Bass settings, you also get a good 7-10 FR bands to **** around with! How can u not steer something to being more 'punchy' or whatever with those kinds of tools.

Anyway... im ranting now... getting.... angry.......<shirt ripping>...... uh oh........ RAWR!!!!

Oct 15, 2015 at 3:46 AM Post #86 of 203
Easy there Green Guy! After a couple more days of mucking about with the EQ/DSP settings on the 'M' I find that I have to agree with what BruceBanner says. Although you can find it a bit overwhelming due to the amount of variables (the 10 band EQ is almost on a par with Rockbox's parametric), the settings are easy to navigate and allow a level of customisation I think you'd be hard pushed to find on any other DAP and even then the quality of Cowon's BBE+ and JetEffects are very, very good indeed. There virtually no lag between changing the settings and hearing the result.

The only minor nitpick I have is that you're not able to see or edit the pre-sets. It'd be nice to take one of the settings as you baseline and then tweak it a bit. Maybe I can find out what the pre-set settings are and recreate them. But, with up to 16 user pre-sets you can create a huge range of variables. I'd also add that BruceBanner is right about being able to enhance your phone's output. The DX90 never really made my Westone W40s shine (didn't have enough bottom end, even with EQ) but on the 'M' I've got those things singing like canaries!
I'm off to trawl for other users settings now ;o)

Oct 15, 2015 at 5:25 AM Post #87 of 203
  Easy there Green Guy! After a couple more days of mucking about with the EQ/DSP settings on the 'M' I find that I have to agree with what BruceBanner says. Although you can find it a bit overwhelming due to the amount of variables (the 10 band EQ is almost on a par with Rockbox's parametric), the settings are easy to navigate and allow a level of customisation I think you'd be hard pushed to find on any other DAP and even then the quality of Cowon's BBE+ and JetEffects are very, very good indeed. There virtually no lag between changing the settings and hearing the result.

The only minor nitpick I have is that you're not able to see or edit the pre-sets. It'd be nice to take one of the settings as you baseline and then tweak it a bit. Maybe I can find out what the pre-set settings are and recreate them. But, with up to 16 user pre-sets you can create a huge range of variables. I'd also add that BruceBanner is right about being able to enhance your phone's output. The DX90 never really made my Westone W40s shine (didn't have enough bottom end, even with EQ) but on the 'M' I've got those things singing like canaries!
I'm off to trawl for other users settings now ;o)

Haha Grrr....
This is also a funny thing you said because about 2-3yrs ago I posted the exact same question/point on anythingbutipod.com to see if anyone knew of what the BBE Presets actually were, because certain ones like Headphone 1 and 2 were good but could of possibly been slightly better if I could have tweaked them. Unfortunately that thread turn up jack ****, but it did prompt me to go hunting (just as you are now) for other settings to explore. Believe me... better sounds can be had from own customization than what the presets have to offer!
In my Hidizs AP100 review I wrote how one of the great things is that you can actually alter the 5 or so presets they have (Rock, Jazz, Classical etc). I have owned a billion DAPs in my time and this is actually quite a rare thing to be able to do, I can't recall a single other DAP that allows for tweaking presets... can you?
FWIW the AP100 doesn't get enough love imo, previous fiio owners have ditched their X3's and X5's in favour of the AP100 as well as kicking the DX50 and 90's to the side! It's my DAP I reach for most and I have two decent Cowon players sitting in the DAP drawer lol.

Anyway, try these settings, see how you go (bare in mind I only have 5 bands to tweak);

1 (Bass heavy)

7 80 wide
-1 220 normal
5 1.4 narrow
6 3.0 normal
7 11.7 wide

bbe 10
mach3 8
3d Surround 2
mp enhance on
steroe enhance 3
reverb off

2 (Similar but less Bass)

7 80 wide
-1 220 normal
5 1.4 narrow
5 3.0 normal
6 11.7 wide

bbe 10
mach3 off
3d surround 3
mp enhance on
stereo enhance 3
reverb off

Oct 21, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #88 of 203

I didint find many cases for cowon PM beside official cowon case and dignis, but i found a case for Blackberry that fits the player. Quite snug and good quality. I bought the official case for around $20 in my country.

Anyway, share us your thoughts about the player!

Is that a Blackberry Q10 cover? I'm looking for a cheap ass cover for the Cowon M (not gonna pay 40+ Euros for a cover, sorry, the 749 Euros price tag for the player is more than enough for me)...

Oct 22, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #90 of 203

Is that a Blackberry Q10 cover? I'm looking for a cheap ass cover for the Cowon M (not gonna pay 40+ Euros for a cover, sorry, the 749 Euros price tag for the player is more than enough for me)...

Its Blackberry Q5, the size of Q10 is smaller and thinner, had hard time getting out the plenue off the Q10 pouch.

Thanks for the heads-up!
Will buy a cover (5-10 Euros) and pair it with the Cowon....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back