Cowon Plenue M
Aug 20, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #61 of 203
Hi all, i have a quick question regarding this plenue M. How does it against AK JR?

The Plenue M got my attention since it got discounted in my country, around $520 and the AK JR is around $499.

Im looking for details, clarity and separation. Mostly i hear mainstream music (forgive me for my taste of music haha); pop, alternatif and electro.

Thank you so much!

I cannot speak for the AK Jr. as I've never tried it, but for what concern the Plenue M is a very capable device in every aspects: details, clarity and separation.
As the Plenue P1, maybe, is not for treble head, this doesn't mean that it lacks in that department, it's just not sparkling. At least IMHO of course! :p

Moreover, consider that it should have a little bit more battery time, has it lasts around 8 to 10 hours...it depends on what kind of file are you listening to (mp3, flac, flac HR, DSD), while, for what I read, the ak jr is about 7 hours.

Aug 20, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #64 of 203
I cannot speak for the AK Jr. as I've never tried it, but for what concern the Plenue M is a very capable device in every aspects: details, clarity and separation.
As the Plenue P1, maybe, is not for treble head, this doesn't mean that it lacks in that department, it's just not sparkling. At least IMHO of course! :p

Moreover, consider that it should have a little bit more battery time, has it lasts around 8 to 10 hours...it depends on what kind of file are you listening to (mp3, flac, flac HR, DSD), while, for what I read, the ak jr is about 7 hours.

Yes, the longer battery life is a nice addition! I read on review (online French magz), the cowon got slightly less attack than AK JR, thank you so much for the response. Still digging reviews on the internet

Which country discounted it to being that price may I ask?

Its Indonesia :)

Aug 28, 2015 at 7:29 AM Post #65 of 203
Does anyone have any experience with the PM and the AK Jr?, coming from an X3 I'm sure both will be an upgrade but I can't find any comparisons between the AK Jr and the Plenue M. Is the Plenue M worth the extra £100 over the AK Jr?........Thanks!

Aug 28, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #66 of 203
Does anyone have any experience with the PM and the AK Jr?, coming from an X3 I'm sure both will be an upgrade but I can't find any comparisons between the AK Jr and the Plenue M. Is the Plenue M worth the extra £100 over the AK Jr?........Thanks!

Your question is similiar with mine few days ago. I have listened both few days ago.

Sound Quality
Both is very good in terms of detail, sound stage and separation.

AK wins on the attacks (slight) and it has neutral sound, tend to analytical.

And the M wins on accuracy of timbre and it has non fatiguing sound (a bit soft in a good way; can be forgiving for low bit rate music) and got plenty details. Cowon have amazing EQ here, you can tweak it to your liking! BBE, mp enhancement, 3d surround; all of them are great!

Build quality
Both good, premium feel. But AK is better on the design, the M is much better on the screen, double the resolution of JR.

UI
The M wins due to plenty themes, and also you can download more on their website. The M is fast, the AK is slow. This is very important factor for me due my pretty big library. The UI of JR is still pretty though.

Battery
The M wins by 3-4 hour. AK is upto 7 hours and the M upto 10-12 hours.

Other
The JR has bluetooth, cowon dont have one.

I went home with Cowon Plenue M. A happy camper here :)

Anyway you cant go wrong with both.

Aug 28, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #68 of 203
I bought an AK Jr when it first came out and I really like it. Last week, I got a Cowon Plenue P1 and haven't listened to the AK Jr since.  I really like the P1 UI and sound.  I like the AK Jr form factor and the sound is close, but the P1 seems to be a better all-around package.  Of course, I could change my mind next week.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 28, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #70 of 203
  Thanks for the detailed reply, I'm still not sure which one I'll get yet but it sounds like a win,win either way.

It would be best if you make an audition between them first. I bought Plenue M after I compared between them. The M wins in pretty much all factors (I love the SQ more, UI and battery)

Sep 1, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #73 of 203
I'm on the fence between the Plenue M, the AK100 II (Jr is out due to laggy UI) and the X5ii.  I've ruled out the DX90, AK Jr, ZX2 for various reasons. 

The problem is that I cannot find the Plenue M anywhere.  There are no listings on Ebay and Amazon appears to be out as well.  Is this likely just a supply shortage or something worse?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back