Cowon Plenue M
May 29, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #31 of 203
 Cowon should bring out a J3 sucessor, use some wolfson again, with 40+ hours of playback and 64gb internal memory (SD card support) with 3.3inch or bigger amoled display.
And a price point of $500, it will change the game.

Call me out dated, but i still love my J3.

May 29, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #32 of 203
I have a J3 and apart from the battery life (and the lack of bluetooth), the Plenue is miles ahead. I've got to say it's growing on me nicely and some of initial reserves I had initially are almost gone. I don't believe in burn in but I have to admit that the sound has now settled nicely. The battery easily last a day of use, so there's no complaint here either. 

Jul 12, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #33 of 203

comparing with the Cayin N6, you will be disappointed with the M
tongue.gif

This is where I call bs (no offence).

The DSP arrangement on Cowon devices is so strong that it is hard to imagine that (after awhile of tinkering) you could not get a sound signature that is extremely close (to the point of either not being able to tell two devices apart or that the differences are so small that neither sounds better or worse, just two slightly different versions of a sound that is similar). Where the Cowon may fall short is background noise such as my i9+ and C2 sound very hissy with certain IEMs compared with say the Alien Shozy which is deadly quiet (to the point that you cannot even tell if the device is on or off).

I have handed over DSP settings to other Cowon users which have blown them away, they are literally pissed off that they had not asked or come across such tweaks a year ago as it was 'wasted' listening!
No one should buy a Cowon and use it in 'Normal' mode, better deals can be sought after elsewhere if the listener has no intention to 'fine tune'.
But i stand by my initial point, I imagine (with enough patience and A/b switching) that the Cowon M could sound like any other player on the market, whereas the opposite may not be true. This IS the advantage of Cowon.

I am genuinely interested in the M, for the first time it appears that Cowon may actually have ticked all the boxes I care about;

- Black background
- Able to sufficiently take advantage and drive higher end IEMs
- Jet Effect DSPs (number 7 no less)
- Tagged Lyrics (and not just their silly previous LDB Manager fail system)
- Ability to rate a song (done by adding to Favourites (indeed providing 4 lists)
- At least 10hrs battery life
- Ample volume
- 128gb+

Previous Cowons don't tick all the boxes. The C2, i9+ (and likely the M2) carry quite a degree of hiss, worsened with high volumes and BBE/Jet Effect enabled. Oddly the little E3 is very black (even with some BBE settings enabled), but it doesn't provide loud enough volumes for my liking, caps at 16gb and of course has no Lyrics (at least tagged).

The last things on my mind are the following, if anyone can answer these points I would be very happy;

1) With adding Favourites, can you add entire albums or artists in one go? What file limit is it per Favourite list? (usually it has been 256 songs maximum, and the only way to add entire artists or albums in one go is navigate the music collection via 'Folders' and not using id3 tags.

2) Is internal and external memory combined in one database?

3) Is there a maximum file limit (in the past has been around 8000 internal, 8000 external, 16,000 maximum.

4) How is the background noise? Is it hiss free? Does the hiss increase with certain DSPs in effect?

Secretely I am hoping for a new 'non plenue' Cowon DAP that resolves these issues, as $1k is pushing it for my DAP budget. The fact that Tagged Lyrics has been added to the M's firmware is very hopeful for future models... fingers crossed.

Jul 13, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #34 of 203
This is where I call bs (no offence).

The DSP arrangement on Cowon devices is so strong that it is hard to imagine that (after awhile of tinkering) you could not get a sound signature that is extremely close (to the point of either not being able to tell two devices apart or that the differences are so small that neither sounds better or worse, just two slightly different versions of a sound that is similar). Where the Cowon may fall short is background noise such as my i9+ and C2 sound very hissy with certain IEMs compared with say the Alien Shozy which is deadly quiet (to the point that you cannot even tell if the device is on or off).

I have handed over DSP settings to other Cowon users which have blown them away, they are literally pissed off that they had not asked or come across such tweaks a year ago as it was 'wasted' listening!

No one should buy a Cowon and use it in 'Normal' mode, better deals can be sought after elsewhere if the listener has no intention to 'fine tune'.

But i stand by my initial point, I imagine (with enough patience and A/b switching) that the Cowon M could sound like any other player on the market, whereas the opposite may not be true. This IS the advantage of Cowon.

I am genuinely interested in the M, for the first time it appears that Cowon may actually have ticked all the boxes I care about;

- Black background
- Able to sufficiently take advantage and drive higher end IEMs
- Jet Effect DSPs (number 7 no less)
- Tagged Lyrics (and not just their silly previous LDB Manager fail system)
- Ability to rate a song (done by adding to Favourites (indeed providing 4 lists)
- At least 10hrs battery life
- Ample volume
- 128gb+

Previous Cowons don't tick all the boxes. The C2, i9+ (and likely the M2) carry quite a degree of hiss, worsened with high volumes and BBE/Jet Effect enabled. Oddly the little E3 is very black (even with some BBE settings enabled), but it doesn't provide loud enough volumes for my liking, caps at 16gb and of course has no Lyrics (at least tagged).

The last things on my mind are the following, if anyone can answer these points I would be very happy;

1) With adding Favourites, can you add entire albums or artists in one go? What file limit is it per Favourite list? (usually it has been 256 songs maximum, and the only way to add entire artists or albums in one go is navigate the music collection via 'Folders' and not using id3 tags.

2) Is internal and external memory combined in one database?

3) Is there a maximum file limit (in the past has been around 8000 internal, 8000 external, 16,000 maximum.

4) How is the background noise? Is it hiss free? Does the hiss increase with certain DSPs in effect?

Secretely I am hoping for a new 'non plenue' Cowon DAP that resolves these issues, as $1k is pushing it for my DAP budget. The fact that Tagged Lyrics has been added to the M's firmware is very hopeful for future models... fingers crossed.

I'll try to answer to some of your questions.

1) you can add songs to your favourite even browsing by artists for instance. Not only by folders
2) yes, you get United idtag database
3) don't know I have 3000 songs right now
4) no hiss at all with my westone um pro 50

Jul 13, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #35 of 203
I'll try to answer to some of your questions.

1) you can add songs to your favourite even browsing by artists for instance. Not only by folders
2) yes, you get United idtag database
3) don't know I have 3000 songs right now
4) no hiss at all with my westone um pro 50

That is good news. I'm more hopeful that the firmware is ported onto other new Cowon devices (don't see why not, it looks very much like a fancier X9 firmware). I would (for example) snap up an X9 if it could somehow have this firmware, even if it hissed more, it's not an overly expensive DAP.
Usually the manual refers to a maximum file limit, perhaps it says something in there? I can always try and dl the manual myself and have a look..

I really like the M, but at $1k it is an outrageously expensive DAP for me, hard to really justify. I would be using it for work (I am a sole trader cleaner) and I would be very worried about scuffing it up, it's one of the reasons I am mostly content with the Alien Shozy, no screen, no scratch marks. And at the end of the day the Shozy costs $200. But then I hate not being able to look down and see the odd Lyric, or if listening to new music I am not able to identify the track or the artist (and not be able to rate said song).

Jul 18, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #38 of 203
That is good news. Damn this seems like a fine DAP, but prolly overkill for me (both in terms of sound power and price).

I'm currently turning my attention to the AP100, see if it ticks all the boxes I am after...

Jul 20, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #41 of 203
Hi how is the battery life. My Plenue M last me about 7-8 hours only playing Flac. I love the player, but bit disappointed with batter life, according to specs 10 hours

Give it a few charge cycles :)

Also I don't know how long you have had it, but I noticed that once I got over the new dap syndrome and store fiddling, eg. Less screen on time etc, battery life improves.

That said, when I had the p1 it never changed because I was forever playing with eq lol

Jul 20, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #42 of 203
I have it for about two months now, playing every day with my SE846. Perfect combo. Battery lasts between 7.5-8 hours. Also I can feel it being little bit warm, I have leather case on it. Maybe this is normal.

Jul 21, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #45 of 203
To me M sounded more exciting/ aggressive then P1. I also prefred design of the M model. I almost purchased P1, but I'm glad that I've waited. I've auditioned P1 couple of times, but I didn't like it that much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back