Cowon or Archos for FLAC player?
Jan 3, 2009 at 3:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

brianz

New Head-Fier
As the subject line indicates, I need a FLAC player for my on-order Denon AH-D 7000s.
L3000.gif

The most important features are:
  • High internal storage capacity, ideally 80 GB or more. I don't want to use external SDHC cards.
  • Support for sorting library by Vorbis Comment tags, not by folder structure as with some (all?) Cowon products. I really enjoy shuffling by the genres I've created in Foobar, so this is important.
  • SOUND QUALITY. I understand that the D2 is highly regarded, but so is Cowon's A3 from what I have gathered. The new Archos 5 and Archos 7 models have also made jumps in quality as well though I don't know how they compare to Cowon.

Does anybody have any info specifically on Item 2 above? I have read that the A3 and possibly the D2 don't offer support for sorting/filtering the library by tags, either Vorbis or ID3. Comments on Item 3 would be great too. I am willing to forgo storage, but not audio quality and true tag support.

The only other option is a Rockboxed iMod but that seems confusing and overcomplicated...

Thanks!
beerchug.gif

Brian

Jan 6, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #2 of 2
The D2 is flash only but the sound is supposed to be the best next to a really overly complicated Kenwood who's help instruction and forum are in Japanese. The D2 come with up to 16Gigs on board, plus the flash you don't seem to want to use. Why? No moving parts is good and you can get reasonable priced flash cards at 16gigs. and unreasonably price flashcards up to 32 and 64! The D2 has got a small amp built in but it's probably not enough for your big Denons. Good luck in your quest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back