Cowon mp3 players vs Sumsung Galaxy and iPod
Apr 30, 2012 at 2:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 67

reticon

Head-Fier
So I see by the reviews that the Cowon is looked at as the best mp3 players, but is this because of the features it has or the actual sound quality when compared to iPod, Samsung Galaxy Player, etc?

Apr 30, 2012 at 2:36 AM Post #2 of 67

Quote:
So I see by the reviews that the Cowon is looked at as the best mp3 players, but is this because of the features it has or the actual sound quality when compared to iPod, Samsung Galaxy Player, etc?

Are you mainly concerned with portability and convenience or are you mainly concerned with sound quality? Because Cowons aren't it by a long shot (nor are iPods or Samsung). The thing is with some of the higher end players is the UI can be lacking or too simple. Will you be listening with Sensitive IEMs?

If you are looking for Convenience mainly I'd say iPod has the edge. Cowons do have a better amp inside them though and with that in mind, do sound a bit better from that perspective. Not sure about the Samsung but I've heard they are improving.

Apr 30, 2012 at 3:54 AM Post #3 of 67
Another vote for the ipod 5g or classic. They both offer decent SQ for resonable price.

As far as sound quality goes... Ibasso DX100 > Hifiman HM801 > Colorfly C4 > Hifiman HM603 > ipod 5.5g (based on my session with Shure se535 red)

I would advice stay away from Samsung Galaxy S2 & Note. They both have this really annoying background hiss when using any good IEM.

Apr 30, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #4 of 67

Quote:
Another vote for the ipod 5g or classic. They both offer decent SQ for resonable price.

As far as sound quality goes... Ibasso DX100 > Hifiman HM801 > Colorfly C4 > Hifiman HM603 > ipod 5.5g (based on my session with Shure se535 red)

I would advice stay away from Samsung Galaxy S2 & Note. They both have this really annoying background hiss when using any good IEM.

Also the Studio V and Rocoo BA could be a good option and are more affordable than the DX100/801/802

Apr 30, 2012 at 6:13 AM Post #6 of 67
A Cowon will and does sound better then a Ipod or a Samsung it is as simple as that. Is it the best thats a question and not as clear to answer. Price, size, price and sound a Cowon can meet these.

Apr 30, 2012 at 7:37 AM Post #7 of 67

Quote:
IMO A Cowon will and does sound better then a Ipod or a Samsung it is as simple as that. Is it the best thats a question and not as clear to answer. Price, size, price and sound a Cowon can meet these.

Corrected that for you.  Personally, I'd disagree.  I owned a Cowon iAudio7 (which was a great sounding player).  When shopping for a new DAP - I extensively tested both the J3 and an iPod Touch G4.  On SQ - without EQ - I preferred the Touch.  Add the other features - including gui - and then also add a parametric EQ app, and for my preferences - the Touch is better.  It was close though.

My portable set-up now is either iPod Touch G4 or iPhone4 + an Arrow HE 4g.  Couldn't be happier with it.

Are there better players out there - undoubtedly.  Are either Cowon or iPod anywhere near the best .... that depends on individual needs / criteria.

Apr 30, 2012 at 7:40 AM Post #8 of 67

Quote:

Corrected that for you.  Personally, I'd disagree.  I owned a Cowon iAudio7 (which was a great sounding player).  When shopping for a new DAP - I extensively tested both the J3 and an iPod Touch G4.  On SQ - without EQ - I preferred the Touch.  Add the other features - including gui - and then also add a parametric EQ app, and for my preferences - the Touch is better.  It was close though.

My portable set-up now is either iPod Touch G4 or iPhone4 + an Arrow HE 4g.  Couldn't be happier with it.

Are there better players out there - undoubtedly.  Are either Cowon or iPod anywhere near the best .... that depends on individual needs / criteria.

Exactly. It all depends on how the device will suite you. But from a sound quality stand point there is a lot better out there for portability. Even a heavily modded imod will get crushed when compared to some of the top offerings today.

But based on ease of use and the UI the ipod is still very much top notch.

Apr 30, 2012 at 7:48 AM Post #9 of 67
I guess if you add a whole lot of stuff onto a player it can easily improve that plater. You can also add a portable amp as well. For me the Ipod with no power and no EQ and over priced did not sound as good as my Cowon D2. I cannot say anything on the Cowon 7 but the D2 has 74MW and a nice EQ and its small. How about comparing the Ipod with a Hifiman or the iBasso DX100?
Quote:

Apr 30, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #10 of 67

Quote:
Exactly. It all depends on how the device will suite you. But from a sound quality stand point there is a lot better out there for portability. Even a heavily modded imod will get crushed when compared to some of the top offerings today.

But based on ease of use and the UI the ipod is still very much top notch.

Thanks Lee.  I guess it just peeves me a little when someone chimes in with a "this is superior" comment - when you're talking about two quite evenly matched DAPs.  I would have been happy with either - but in the end, I preferred the features on the iPod.  And this coming from a Linux user who now has to have iTunes dual booting win/lin on a netbook (my main PC is pretty much solely Debian).

Apr 30, 2012 at 7:53 AM Post #11 of 67

Quote:
I guess if you add a whole lot of stuff onto a player it can easily improve that plater. You can also add a portable amp as well. For me the Ipod with no power and no EQ and over priced did not sound as good as my Cowon D2. I cannot say anything on the Cowon 7 but the D2 has 74MW and a nice EQ and its small. How about comparing the Ipod with a Hifiman or the iBasso DX100?

Haven't heard either the HiFiman or the DX100.  How about comparing your Cowon with them ?

Again - this is subjective, and I did compare the J3 extensively with the iPod Touch.  I'll re-iterate, the Cowon may be better - for you.  It's incorrect to say it is flat out superior.  I thought the two were pretty close on SQ (flat).  And you don't have to add a whole lot to the player to get a decent EQ either - just an under $5 app.

Congrats on your Cowon.  Enjoy it.

Apr 30, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #12 of 67
I know this is off topic lol but Brooko are you from New Zealand? Although I've never heard that name (your location) I'm just guessing that is the location? Am I right? :)

Apr 30, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #13 of 67

Quote:
I know this is off topic lol but Brooko are you from New Zealand? Although I've never heard that name (your location) I'm just guessing that is the location? Am I right? :)

Yup - Aotearoa = "land of the long white cloud" = Maori name for New Zealand.

Apr 30, 2012 at 8:03 AM Post #15 of 67
Yep I have two cowons and the iBasso DX100 and I have tried the Hifiman 801 for 8 days and tried the 601 too. Ofcourse the DX100 is a hell lot better and its has a real amp inside with 245 MWatts. The Cowons are over 4 years old. I did have 2 ipods but I got rid of them due to no power and no EQ.
Quote:

Haven't heard either the HiFiman or the DX100.  How about comparing your Cowon with them ?

Again - this is subjective, and I did compare the J3 extensively with the iPod Touch.  I'll re-iterate, the Cowon may be better - for you.  It's incorrect to say it is flat out superior.  I thought the two were pretty close on SQ (flat).  And you don't have to add a whole lot to the player to get a decent EQ either - just an under $5 app.

Congrats on your Cowon.  Enjoy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back