Cowon J3
Jan 21, 2012 at 1:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Watagump

Twizzler King
I have a Clip Zip, using TF10's. Been looking at the J3 and reading all the great reviews. So is this the player to get based on sound quality only? I use 320 bitrate MP3's but of course could go to FLAC lossless, I want the best sound I can get.

Jan 21, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #2 of 8
I used Cowon S9 (same sound quality with J3) and now i have a clip zip.
If you want better battery life and more storage buy J3.
To compare sound quality : without rockbox S9 wins , with rockbox it is hard to say which one is better.Both of them sounds great.
smile.gif

Jan 21, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #3 of 8

Quote:
I used Cowon S9 (same sound quality with J3) and now i have a clip zip.
If you want better battery life and more storage buy J3.
To compare sound quality : without rockbox S9 wins , with rockbox it is hard to say which one is better.Both of them sounds great.
smile.gif

You are using Rockbox on the zip? I have looked at it but have been waiting for it to be a little more mature.

Jan 21, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
You are using Rockbox on the zip? I have looked at it but have been waiting for it to be a little more mature.

I have three of them with Rockbox.....asides from the limited amount of themes available right now, it works beautifully.

Jan 21, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
I have read different opinions if Rockbox makes a difference in SQ, whats your take? I do use the Zips EQ to tailor the sound to my liking.

The Zip sounds no different in OF than in Rockbox, if the EQ is off. But the Rockbox EQ is vastly superior.....you can set the frequency of each of the five bands, etc.  Also, the battery life is better with Rockbox.

Jan 21, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #7 of 8
The Cowon J3 has a superb EQ, great battery life and high storage capacity.
But if you haven't tried Rockboxing your clip yet, you have to at least try it first. Rockbox is the one thing i miss from my old iPod.

Jan 21, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #8 of 8
Coming from an owner of a clip+ and S9 I prefer the Cowon. I use both players with a flat eq, to my ears the Cowon just sound fuller even though it doesn't have as much bass. If you want to upgrade just for sound quality I'd suggest saving your money because both sound good to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back