Cowon J3
Jan 12, 2012 at 9:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

skyline72

New Head-Fier
Hi experts here,

I recently bought this Cowon J3 and paired it up with Klipsch x10.

Just wondering if it is necessary to get another portable amp to make it better ?

Jan 13, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #3 of 13
I've been through a few amps with the J3, tho each made a subtle difference. In the end, I went with no amp because its just more convenient and not worth the extra cost. If you want that extra 5-10% sonic improvement, be prepared to pay an amount that doesn't quite balance out to the sound you are going to get. Meaning for sure, it wont be bang for buck, you will be paying more for a subtle improvement. 

Jan 13, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #5 of 13
I have a J3 and have sold my portable amps and just go with my J3 into Etymotic ER-4P phones.  I didn't have any amps over $150 (Fiio E11, a CMoy Bass Boost, Soundmagic A10, Meier Corda) but all they did for the J3 was amplify the sound some. 

All the above portable amps provided a significant SQ improvement with the Sansa Fuze, and some improvement with my old 30Gb Zune, but very minimal improvement with the J3.

The J3 already has powerful amp built in, and it has very good EQ controls in the JetEffect section of the J3.  With a combination of the EQ + MachBass, I can make my fairly flat response ER-4P sound very full and bassy (the ER-4P is not known for it's bass) with absolutely no degradation to the SQ of the J3.

Save yourself the $$.

Jan 13, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #6 of 13
yeah, the J3 is meant to be used without an amp. But try a budget amp just to fulfill your curiosity. 

Jan 13, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #7 of 13
Hi, I have the J3 and ER4P setup too. And I second the thought that by EQ, Machbass and Shure olives the sound is quite full bodied and slightly warm. I have tried converting to the ER4S via the 75 ohm impedance adaptor, and the J3 is not able to drive it to sufficient volume though (its audible in quiet environments, but not enough for the tube/underground). I think that would be a suitable scenario to get an amp. But for the X10s, I dont think you need the extra bulk, hassle. 

Jan 14, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #9 of 13
Personally i wouldn't use a cheap amp, if anything go all the way.

I used a lower end amp, and my S9 really hated it sounded horrible.

Yet plug in my P4 and it loved it.

Still better off finding a player with a line out mind.

Why not buy a cheap fuze, and fiio E11 that'll sound nice.

Jul 17, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #10 of 13
I realize this is an old thread but I'm trying to decide if I need an amp for my Cowon J3. I have Klipsch S4i's that I can listen to at 20-22 volume level. I am now going to start listening on my Grado SR225's and a new Koss Pro4s headphone. To get the equivalent volume on my Grado's, I need the volume level set at 34-36 (out of 40). At what point (% of total power out) would it be wise to add an amp. I'm looking at a Fiio E12 amp.

Jul 17, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #11 of 13
  I realize this is an old thread but I'm trying to decide if I need an amp for my Cowon J3. I have Klipsch S4i's that I can listen to at 20-22 volume level. I am now going to start listening on my Grado SR225's and a new Koss Pro4s headphone. To get the equivalent volume on my Grado's, I need the volume level set at 34-36 (out of 40). At what point (% of total power out) would it be wise to add an amp. I'm looking at a Fiio E12 amp.

Turn the levels up on the EQ, it will add the volume you need IMHO. I use 32 volume for my TF10, so I already use higher than you.

Jul 17, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #12 of 13

Turn the levels up on the EQ, it will add the volume you need IMHO. I use 32 volume for my TF10, so I already use higher than you.

I have't played with user settings (just reading on suggested settings in the forum). I was using Maestro and I don't know he EQ settings for it. I did say I am using 34-36 for my Grado's. which is closer to max. I was just wondering if you have to set it to 85-90% of the max output level, would you get distortion as a result.

Jul 17, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #13 of 13

I have't played with user settings (just reading on suggested settings in the forum). I was using Maestro and I don't know he EQ settings for it. I did say I am using 34-36 for my Grado's. which is closer to max. I was just wondering if you have to set it to 85-90% of the max output level, would you get distortion as a result.

I dunno, I got some clipping from my TF10, going a little higher on the volume. It was on certain tracks not all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back