Cowon J3 vs. iPhone 4 + ALO Rx : best solution ?
Dec 6, 2010 at 7:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Parpadello

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I've been reading a lot of feedbacks concerning Cowon, a especially the J3 : it seems to have a great sound quality, nice EQ and a decent capacity (32 Gb + µSD slot). I'm not a big user of EQ, but the capacity and SQ are interesting.

I already own an iPhone 4 (and the sound quality appears to be very nice) with an ALO Rx plugged on it (through a Fiio L1). I use it with both my headphones (Audio Technia ESW9 Ultrasone HFI 780).

All these feedbacks just made me wondering :

- Can I expect a better SQ with a Cowon J3 "only" ? Will I hear a difference with my actual combo ?

I can't have 3 portables gears, so the choice would be << iPhone 4 + Cowon J3 >>  vs. << iPhone 4 + ALO Rx >>. I'm not sure that the Cowon has a LO anyway, to plug an amp on it.

Christmas is approaching, all your advices/opinions will be welcome 
rolleyes.gif

Thanks !

Dec 7, 2010 at 10:46 AM Post #2 of 6
I just found these prices, on Amazon and Exportprive, and even with the shipping cost to Europe, they remain very interesting.

The Cowon J3 is more and more attractive, but I'd have to sell my amp to get it. The choice is quite complicated, I'd definitely need advices on it.

So all the opinions are welcome 
wink.gif
 Thanks !

Dec 11, 2010 at 7:52 AM Post #3 of 6
A (last) bump for advices, and I'll let this post sink slowly 
biggrin.gif

I'm about to sell my ALO Rx to get a Cowon J3 and a 32Gb microSD, but I'd prefer to have some opinions first.

Thx

Dec 11, 2010 at 9:41 AM Post #4 of 6
Since no one else has chimed I'll basically say what I know, the Cowon J3 as a standalone player is much much better than the iphone. However, I'm no expert at the technical stuff, but I think you might have some trouble playing full size cans through just the J3, i.e. you would probably need an amp, which you currently have with the iphone. I'd sell your iphone and keep the amp 
wink.gif
 I may be wrong though so its probably better if someone who knows more about amps chimes in

Dec 11, 2010 at 11:37 AM Post #6 of 6
Thanks for your both opinions Daanish, qDiii,

I don't want to sell my iPhone for now, I use it for many things aside from the music part. I was more concerned by the choice "ALO Rx vs. Cowon J3" in fact, for the sound quality.

I'll maybe search for a DAP to pair with my amp, if I want a better quality and more storage.

Thx !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back