Cowon J3 or Clip+ w/ some sort of amp?
Jun 22, 2011 at 11:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

fusedpro

100+ Head-Fier
First off, I want to mention that I am relatively new and inexperienced to this audiophile scene.

I currently own a 16GB Zune HD and love it. The UI is amazing, the sound is pretty darn good, and hell, even the software has grown on me. I've never bothered with the Zune Pass so no comments there. I have no complaints with it outside of the lack of expandable storage (or I should have just bought the 64GB model). That said, I might be looking to add another DAP to keep my Zune company and have narrowed it down to either the Cowon J3 or Sansa Clip+.

Cowon J3 probably has the better default sound of the two and will get even better with equalization (something I also have to learn). It also is more Zune-like in terms of UI. It does have the option for video playback but I can't ever see myself actually using that feature as I never have on my Zune. Downside is the cost.

Sansa Clip+ also has an equalizer. It probably isn't as good as the J3's but definitely more than adequate. It is also much smaller but the size of my Zune has never bothered me so I'd have to say this is moot. The Clip+ can also be Rockboxed. I have no idea what that does, but all information points towards improvement, so I'll be doing that if purchased. It is also nice and cheap but the downside here is the different UI (which I would get used to eventually).

Similarities between the two -- they are both highly recommended, have expandable storage in the form of microSD cards, drag-and-drop interface with no proprietary software needed (again, I actually like the Zune software but am completely okay with DnD), and both have FM tuners. I've read that the J3's tuner is better than the Clip+'s, but as long as it clearly picks up the three prominent stations that I listen to, I won't really care.

Amplifiers are completely foreign to me. I have heard certain amps could improve the sound quality when used so they also caught my interest. The price of the J3 + SD card(s) is already above what I would LIKE to spend, but that applies to any amount of money. The Clip+ (and cards) leaves some leeway for additional purchases, but which amp is unknown so I'm open to recommendations there. On a similar note, I have no idea what and where a DAC fits into the equation so if anyone wants to enlighten me, that would be fantastic. Same deal with LOD...

Some other notes about personal equipment. My listening equipment is nothing to marvel at. I own a pair of Sennheiser HD-280 PRO as my full-size cans. They are still burning in but sound amazing. For IEMs, I just recently upgraded from some Skullcandy Ink'd to MEElectronics M9s. Nothing huge, but still an improvement. Once I listen to these for awhile and determine the sound signature that I prefer, I will upgrade to another pair of IEMs. Which pair is obviously still undecided. I know improving this link will have the greatest impact (outside of source -- my library is a jumbled mess of formats ranging from 128kb mp3s to FLACs) on sound quality over amplification and whatnot, but I am interested nonetheless. 

I do listen to a wide range of music (very little rap/hip-hop though) but I would guess my main genres are rock, punk, alternative, and classical. Classical aside, some of my favourite artists are Jimmy Eat World, Say Anything, Relient K, House of Heroes, Andrew WK, SR-71, and The Classic Crime. Other artists that show up in my playlist -- Blink 182 and variations (Angels and Airwaves, Boxcar Racer, +44), Coheed and Cambria, The Fall of Troy, Dance Gavin Dance, Sugarland, The Dangerous Summer, The Dear Hunter, A Day to Remember, Enter the Haggis, Passion Pit, Straylight Run, and Four Year Strong. Probably not the best spread but that should help determine a good fit.

Some amps that caught my eye were the PA2v2 and the JDS CMoy. Any word on either of these based on my preferred genres/bands?

Anyways, any input would be much appreciated. Thank you for your time.

-- fusedpro

Jun 24, 2011 at 3:57 AM Post #3 of 6
I assume your starting point is to get the most bang with the bucks you have. IMO the best strategy is:

- clip+ and best IEM you can afford, or...
- best amp you can afford, with the Zune HD and HD280 that you already have

The rest would be IMHO detours, you have to decide if you want an ultraportable or transportable set up. To mess with multiple low end setup us IMO a waste of time and money.

Jun 24, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #4 of 6
Well, my biggest concern is having expandable storage so I can finally listen to a bunch of classical music that I haven't had room for. Bang for the buck is nice too, so the Clip+ wins in that regard. The EQ and ability to play FLAC are just icing on the cake. As such, I've pretty much settled on the Clip+ -- now to address the other concerns.

The HD280s are for home use only, I'm mainly wanting a good pair of IEMs and possibly an amplifier for when I'm out -- i.e. at work and probably walking around campus. I'll be using a cheaper pair of IEMs and no amp for the times when I'm at the gym or doing yard work. As for which pair to upgrade to, I'm unsure. I'm still clueless on the sound signature that I like so that makes things difficult. The only thing I have to go on is the type of music I listen to and, since that is decently varied, that doesn't even help all too much.

I've heard great things about the RE0 and RE-ZERO, but for all I know, those could be far too analytical for my liking or they might be right up my alley. I haven't explored anything too far beyond that price-range but I might consider going upwards of ~$150. At that price, there is no room for an amplifier like a cmoy or pa2v2, but I do not know if one of those amps + cheaper IEMs beat out the IEMs that are slightly more expensive by themselves.

Jun 25, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #5 of 6
Most here would agree that for efficient IEMs, the difference between amped and unamped would be little.

IME, when IEM paired with a decent amp, it generally tightens up, have a slightly bigger sound stage, and have a slightly better dynamic. However, the difference isn't huge. For lower end amp, you might even get less detail. The biggest difference is the sound signature that the amp imparts. So for a very neutral amp, it might be hard to perceive any difference, for a bassy amp, the difference would be noticeable. So generally speaking, a better IEM would beat a cheap IEM with a cheap amp, for headphones it might be different.

How does the HD280 sound to you? It is on the analytical side of things. Generally speaking, if you like it bassy look at the Westone line, If you like it to be less bassy look at the UE line, if you like your sound warm look at the Klipsch line, if you like detail and sparkle may be look at the Etymotic line and RE-0.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back