Cowon J3 or C2?
Jul 27, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #16 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Optimus Praim

Yeah right...

You need a proof pic or something? IMO the J3 felt cheapish because the plastic and the light weight was a bad combo. (again, IMO) It felt light and.. fragile. I like metal on my construction.

Sorta confused here, I forgot to put a "felt" next to the cheap. Is that why I'm supposed to be drunk? Obviously the 360000 won (350 USD?) sticker price is expensive...

@4DThinker I'm sure the interface for the C2 is usable as well, but with the smaller screen and somewhat unintuitive controls (I think the C2's original UI was on there) and the not-so-great touch response from the floor model made it unattractive vis a vis the J3.

JB

Jul 27, 2011 at 10:42 AM Post #17 of 25

Quote:
Quote:

[size=medium]
You need a proof pic or something? 
biggrin.gif
 IMO the J3 felt cheapish because the plastic and the light weight was a bad combo. (again, IMO) It felt light and.. fragile. I like metal on my construction. 

Sorta confused here, I forgot to put a "felt" next to the cheap. Is that why I'm supposed to be drunk? 
confused_face(1).gif
 Obviously the 360000 won (350 USD?) sticker price is expensive...

@4DThinker I'm sure the interface for the C2 is usable as well, but with the smaller screen and utterly unintuitive controls (at first) and the not-so-great touch response from the floor model made it unattractive.

JB

[/size]

I used a metaphore,i hope you are not offended man..
You know a great deal of headphones are made of plastic but you can't say that they feel cheap..
I understand that you like metal on your devices but if you own a J3 for a while you will realise that it has the exact amount of weight that you need in your pocket.
Personally i don't like to feel that i have a brick on me when i go public and j3's weight is ideal for my liking..
Also as i said before it very well build but i recommend you keep it inside a case to avoid any damage to the amoled screen in case you accidentally drop it..

Jul 27, 2011 at 10:56 AM Post #18 of 25
No hard feelings. :) it is nearing 11:50 pm as I write this.. I'm kinda sleep-deprived drunk?

Yeah, this plastic or metal thing is purely preference, and so is weight (to a point). I've heard that the J3's plastic can get scuffs, but so can metal surfaces (iPod Touch anyone?). Pick your poison.

'Night guys.
JB

Jul 27, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #19 of 25
so basically they sound the same and have the same settings but i need to decide if the extra 80 dollars is worth paying for the larger screen, better ui, and better battery life on the j3?  can the c2 drive re0?

Jul 27, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #20 of 25

Quote:
so basically they sound the same and have the same settings but i need to decide if the extra 80 dollars is worth paying for the larger screen, better ui, and better battery life on the j3?  can the c2 drive re0?

IMO $80 is worth the better battery life and the UI. When you say RE0's, if you're talking about the IEMS, then yes, they can be driven by the C2. Actually, anything can drive the RE0's.

Jul 27, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #21 of 25
i am also considering the J3. The C2 seems like not really what i'm looking for. Personally i'd love an ipod touch 4g but since I hate apple and since it doesnt support half the crap I like (eq disk mode, flac, etc. without a jailbreak) i'd go with J3. The only cause of concern to me is their BBE chipset. I really dont like things interfering with my audio, and while I understand that BBE makes bad bitrate songs sound better, I dont want it trying to make my lossless songs sound better.

Jul 27, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #22 of 25

Quote:
i am also considering the J3. The C2 seems like not really what i'm looking for. Personally i'd love an ipod touch 4g but since I hate apple and since it doesnt support half the crap I like (eq disk mode, flac, etc. without a jailbreak) i'd go with J3. The only cause of concern to me is their BBE chipset. I really dont like things interfering with my audio, and while I understand that BBE makes bad bitrate songs sound better, I dont want it trying to make my lossless songs sound better.

All the BBE effects can be turned off.

Aug 7, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #23 of 25
My first impression on C2 was a shrink down version of J3...but if you were to consider the fact that J3 is "thinner" then the c2, well, the factors are about the same. It is a bonus that u can watch video on the J3 whether you like it or not. Have not tried the SQ of the C2 so can't say much about it.

To compare the sansa clip with c2 was not a really good pairing either. Battery life REALLY does make a lot of difference, the clip only last (the most) 15 hours, where else the J3 last about 57 hours (at best); based on playing music files and without video. So i trust what cowon has to offer, it is stated that the c2 can last about 50+ hours, fair enough. Sound quality wise, i will totally trust cowon since D2, J3 did not give me any chance to criticize them about it. Anycase to sum up, it should be something like this:

Battery life (at best): J3 = 50h+      C2 = 50h+    Fuze = 20h+      Clip+ = 15h
Sound Quality: J3>=?C2>Fuze>Clip+ (all can custom their eq)
Price (from amazon): J3 16gb = $210      C2 16gb = $150      Fuze 8gb = $85      Clip+ 8gb = $54   
Cheap(ist) feel: Clip+>Fuze>J3>C2 (all of them contain plastic and metal
wink_face.gif
)

FYI: i own J3, sansa clip+ and a fuze.

Aug 7, 2011 at 8:53 AM Post #24 of 25
Nice comparison.

I have a question regarding the infamous Cowon bass roll-off though:

Can that roll-off be fixed with EQing, or is it an intrinsic problem that will simply always be there with low impedance headphones no matter what the EQ is set at?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back