Cowon iAudio X5L.
Nov 9, 2005 at 10:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

kurt_fire

100+ Head-Fier
How is this player? What are the differences between the X5 and X5L? I know that the battery life is much longer (14 hrs vs. 35 hrs) with the X5L, but what other differences are there? Where can I buy a new one for the cheapest? I am not wanting to use this to play back video really. Primarily MP3, WAV, and FLAC music files.

I was just reading CNet's review for the X5. The cons are as listed: Must plug in an adapter to attach AC, line-in, and USB cables; so-so control layout; can't autosync music with a PC; can't browse by artist, album, or genre; must convert videos to a special format before playing; no slide-show mode or music while viewing photos; no autoscanning presets for FM radio.

Do these ^^ problems still exist with the X5L? Can you not really browse by artist or album? Also, how good do .FLAC files sound on it?

Also, is it completely drag-and-drop, or do I need to install drivers/software onto my PC to put music onto it? How is this company's customer service? If it broke, would they repair/replace it for cheap?

All in all guys, I'm very interested in picking up this player. I refuse to buy and Ipod because I refuse to use Itunes. And this player seems to beat out the Ipod in sound quality, battery life, and FLAC support. I just read that a 60 gig version is just now coming out. Does the 60 gig version have the long 35 hr battery life, or only the 14 hr? Is there anywhere that's selling this other than Ecost?

Nov 9, 2005 at 10:31 AM Post #2 of 13
a) IGNORE CNET'S REVIEW*

b) X5 is true darg + drop and uses folder view - how your music is on your PC is how its gonna be on it

c) do some searching for past threads

d) consult iaudiophile.net forums, X5 section for good info

e) IGNORE CNET'S REVIEW*

*Not just for X5, well everything

Edit: The iPod Video needs to convert to a "special format" - that didn't stop cNet's blatant favouritism. What do they expect? Put your vids already on your PC and your X5 will magically be able to shrink the image down to fit on a screen obviously smaller than your PCs?

as for autosyncing - its not rocket science to drag + drop a few folders here and there
600smile.gif
wink.gif

Nov 9, 2005 at 11:05 AM Post #3 of 13
YES DON'T LISTEN TO CNET
Also the thickness of the x5L is thicker sizes as followed:
iAudio X5 20GB 103.7 mm X 60.8mm X 14.3mm/18.3mm 145g
iAudio X5L 20GB 103.7 mm X 60.8mm X 18.3mm/22.3mm 180g

iAudio X5 30GB 103.7 mm X 60.8mm X 14.3mm/18.3mm 145g
iAudio X5L 30GB 103.7 mm X 60.8mm X 18.3mm/22.3mm 180g

*Off a x5 review on iaudiophile.net*

My friend has the 20gb x5 and to sum it up in one word...WOW... that piece of machinery is ever so awesome. The video's run quite smoothly than what I had expected and the size of it is great. This portable player is great and from my limited listening time with it, sounds great. Don't hesitate to buy this!!!

P.S- I heard the x5 has id3 tags now? If just a rumor, many of the folks at iaudiophile.net say that id3 tags will be coming in the filmwares to come.

Nov 9, 2005 at 11:31 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by kurt_fire
I was just reading CNet's review for the X5. The cons are as listed: Must plug in an adapter to attach AC, line-in, and USB cables; so-so control layout; can't autosync music with a PC; can't browse by artist, album, or genre; must convert videos to a special format before playing; no slide-show mode or music while viewing photos; no autoscanning presets for FM radio.

1.Yes, but it is not as bad as they make it out to be.
2.The control layout is fine, better than the ipod if you ask me(how the hell anyone can hold the ipod in one hand and still make there thumb turn in a perfect circle is beyond me)
3.Once again cnet is full of it! You can use programs like J.River mediacenter to autosync the X5, or you can just use a windows briefcase folder.
4.Most ripping programs will put files in artist-->album folder format, also there is an update on the way to add metadata browsing.
5.Mute point, there is only one DAP/PMP which I know of which does not need VOBs off a DVD to be converted.
6.It is true that you can not view slideshows or play music while viewing photos, but you can set a photo as a wallpaper on the now playing screen.
7.That is true.

Quote:

Do these ^^ problems still exist with the X5L? Can you not really browse by artist or album? Also, how good do .FLAC files sound on it?

1.The X5L is just a X5 with a bigger battery.
2.As above.
3.FLAC sounds exactly the same as a wav.

Quote:

Also, is it completely drag-and-drop, or do I need to install drivers/software onto my PC to put music onto it? How is this company's customer service? If it broke, would they repair/replace it for cheap?

1.It is full drap and drop.
2.Sorry, I can not answer that.
Quote:

All in all guys, I'm very interested in picking up this player. I refuse to buy and Ipod because I refuse to use Itunes. And this player seems to beat out the Ipod in sound quality, battery life, and FLAC support.

I have had the displeasure of using itunes, trust me when I say drag and drop is a godsend.

Nov 9, 2005 at 11:57 PM Post #5 of 13
I had an X5 with a bad battery, and the tech support was great for the replacement, a little tough to get a hold of.

When I tried to call, sometimes I would get forwarded to a message saying that no one was there or that everyone was busy, and then I would get disconnected. Usually just hanging up and calling back once or twice got me through to a real person.

They were GREAT about giving me RMA's, they replaced my battery the first time and sent me a shipping label to print so that I wouldn't have to pay for shipping. The battery replacement didn't work and withouth much hassle they agreed to ship me an entirely new unit, and again provided a shipping label. This was a relatively new experience for me, not being sent on a wild goose chase before getting any real results, I was really pleased with it.

Nov 10, 2005 at 3:29 AM Post #6 of 13
Well, it looks like I am going to go with the 30 gig X5L; unless there are plans to release a 60 gig with the 35 hour battery life in the near future.

Also, which would you guys says has better sound quality: the Ipod video or X5L?

Nov 10, 2005 at 7:36 AM Post #8 of 13
I doubt they'll do a 60GB X5L, as they'd have to manufacture an even bigger casing, and it probably wouldn't work out economically. They can only do the regular 60GB one economically because it can fit in the X5L case, I think.

Nov 10, 2005 at 9:01 AM Post #10 of 13
When did the XL5 come out? Are there any plans of an "upgraded" version sometime soon?

Nov 10, 2005 at 4:44 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by The D
Quote:

If it broke, would they repair/replace it for cheap?

2.Sorry, I can not answer that.

Let me try this one: My U2 died due to firmware update. I sent them an email months ago and re-sent them a couple of times as I don't have any anwser. I'm very happy with the sound quality of U2 but I don't think they know how to program a firmware and if you have a problem, they never anwser email to anybody. You can check the forum at their website to see how the others think about the support.

U2 is definitely my last iaudio product. There is IRiver sounds as good after all.

Hope this can help.

Nov 11, 2005 at 8:00 AM Post #13 of 13
Just wanted to add my two cents. I've had my 30gb X5L for maybe a month or so, and it gets a lot of attention. Here are some of my favorite aspects of it:

-Drag and drop
-Looooong battery life
-Surprisingly good EQ & sound quality
-I've dropped it down a flight of stairs and it still works perfectly

And maybe one or two negative points:

-The subpack used for charging, transferring files, etc. is annoying
-It would be cool if you could look at pictures while listening to music

But overall, still the best DAP I've used!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back