cowon iaudio m3 good sound?depends from where
Jan 17, 2007 at 7:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

taran

100+ Head-Fier
ok i have had a revelation with my cowon iaudio m3 mp3 player.

for a while ive been reading how the m3 and x5 have bad line outs on them and when connected with an amp, it sounds very thin and like its missing the low end.

anyway, i kept reading that people use their x5's headphone out instead of line out. i tried this with my m3, via the remote and well i was baffled how they could say that. sound was awful.

i then had an idea today. i have 3 remotes for my m3, 2 m3 brown ones and 1 x5 black one. i compared them. basically the m3 remote i was using had a very noticeable sound difference when comparing it to the headphone out on the main unit.

i then tried the x5 remote and the sound was much closer to that of the headphone out on the main player. there still however is still a slight difference.

this is a problem for me as with the m3, the only screen is on the remote, yet the remote headphone out sounds crap.

its a very weird situation that i have found out. the funny thing is back when i baught my player i was looking for the best all rounder and for me that was the m3. it was a swiss army knife and could do it all, and ontop of that had one of the best SQ's at the time.

little did i know that 2 years down the line i would get into the hobby of headphones and amps.

i think i will stick with my player as the only players with a real good line out are the ipod and creative zen and i dont really want either.

i guess i will just leave keep with this setup and maby buy an amp with a DAC for my laptop as i mainly listen to music at home. when im out and about i dont want to carry an amp. i hope i can trade my penguin deluxe amp for a headphonia with a DAC.

anyway just thought id share this with you guys.hmmm

Jan 18, 2007 at 10:47 PM Post #2 of 6
Yes it is unfortunate that you have to plug your phones/amp into the remote, rather than plugging them directly into the player. I wish you could have the remote display plugged in and still run the sound directly out of the player.

Jan 19, 2007 at 2:21 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by taran /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for a while ive been reading how the m3 and x5 have bad line outs on them and when connected with an amp, it sounds very thin and like its missing the low end.

Wrong!

That used to be what I thought to until I tried it myself and deduced that the people who said otherwise were just writing loads of nonsense.

Jan 19, 2007 at 2:38 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wrong!

That used to be what I thought to until I tried it myself and deduced that the people who said otherwise were just writing loads of nonsense.

i think we're talking about bangraman's x5L lineout F response graph.

It may sound good to your ears, but then i don't think it's fair to slap "wrong!" straight to anyone without considering subjectivity.

Jan 19, 2007 at 2:50 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by TzeYang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think we're talking about bangraman's x5L lineout F response graph.

It may sound good to your ears, but then i don't think it's fair to slap "wrong!" straight to anyone without considering subjectivity.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=220044

I'm assuming RMAA results utilize a low-impedance intermediate connection.

It would be interesting to see what an in-line resistor would add to the graphs (or something of the sort; pardon, I'm not well-versed in circuitry).
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 19, 2007 at 3:03 AM Post #6 of 6
so what do you think is wrong in my case then?

ive tried all combinations that i have my hands on.

shure e4's, sony mdr-e888's, sennhesier hd595, cardas 6inch cable, stock line out cable bundled with the player, my current and only amp.

all different combinations and i still feel sound is missing, especially with e4's and hd595's.

that being said, when i have hooked the line out to my HT setup, i cant really notice any sound missing.

any ideas on what i could do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back