Cowon iAudio D2
Jan 19, 2008 at 2:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

solarflare

100+ Head-Fier
do these support SDHC? anyone know if it makes a difference?

also what would you guys consider the best
Video
mp3
all in 1 player similar to this D2
for under 200$.

my eyes are bleeding from reading so much on them.

Jan 19, 2008 at 2:21 AM Post #2 of 14
yes it does support both SD and SDHC. SDHC is different from normal SD cards in the way the memory addressing work.

The D2 is a solid piece of device.

The Zen would come close, but Creative's got major firmware issues right now and the SD card is not integrated into the media library. I personally preferred the Zen UI, but the D2 UI is not far off.

I think you can get the 16GB Zen right now for $200. But it's a big gamble since Creative has made no announcement regarding fixing the SD card issue.

Another player offering SD card support is Sansa (duh, considering SanDisk is one of the biggest flash memory manufacturers)

Meizu and other players like the clix2 (slightly more expensive) are also fairly well received here.

The Sony players are now back in the spotlight after sony finally ditches sonicstage. The screen is a little smaller though.

The iTouch has seen its share of praises and bashes, but might also be good. Or the Samsung P2 would be a cheaper alternative.

You might want to give more information as to what you're looking for in terms of size and stuff, so that people can provide more info. Hope I helped.

Jan 19, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #3 of 14
I must say I used to be in your situation. Reading around so much, hearing many many praises for it. And as the result, jump to get the D2.
After a week using it, my opinion is that in term of features, it has everything you need in a DAP: build-like-a-tank, flash, expandable m/c, various codecs ...
However, the most important factor I felt uncomfortable is SQ - or more correctly sound preference. I really couldn't bear its sound signature. My favorite musics are rap/hiphop or sometimes pop. The D2 has one of the most analytical sound. It shows all the details of the song. Fantastic for classical, IMO. However, its dry,cold and lacking-bass discourages me so much. It's absolutely the brightest DAP I've used. And of courses, never fits my favorite musics. I have to turn my attention to the Sony, and feel like home with it
smily_headphones1.gif

So, if you are heading for the D2, the most important you must consider is whether its sound sig fits you or not. Don't worry about those features because it's simply one of the best right now.
After this, I draw an experience that when you look to a DAP review, just pay attention to their opinions about the features. SKIP their opinions about SQ. They are just the users/reviewers' personal likeness. It may fits their hobbies but may not you. Try your best to audition it before deciding to get it.

Jan 19, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #4 of 14
im in a town in northern Alberta so i wont get much auditioning.

i like alternative rock a-lot.
i really like collective soul type music if that helps any.

if it can use a SDHC card then GB doesn't mater i get sdhc cards at cost and they are ridiculously cheap for me.

i want to be able to play a movie if say its raining and im camping ect. i want a great sound stage. good battery life.

i don't use this stuff for jogging ect.

having first hand seen the nightmare of the nano release in a retail store im fairly turned off of ipods so unless something major has changed in there QC i just don't want to go down that road of insanity.

Jan 19, 2008 at 5:28 AM Post #5 of 14
I think the D2 answers most of your needs. It's very well-built, good sound quality and battery life and video quality should be good with the 2.5 inch 16 million (24 bits) colours screen, though I haven't watched any videos myself. Picture viewing is definitely good.

Jan 19, 2008 at 6:25 AM Post #6 of 14
bought it .. 175$ + 9.99 airship .. not bad i guess.

Jan 19, 2008 at 6:34 AM Post #7 of 14
NCIX had them for 165 before. Only 10 bucks of difference though.

BTW, congrats and enjoy! Report back on how you like it!

Jan 19, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #10 of 14
About SDHC support on the D2: Users have had success with the 2.53 firmware updated but the internatinal/Korean version (3.53) does not support SDHC cards that are 16gb or greater.

So what's the difference between the two firmwares? 3.53 version supports flash UIs while the other does not.

As always, be very careful when updating firmware esp if you're using the 8gb version of the D2.

Jan 19, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #11 of 14
Cowon has the best specs and hardware out there, the only drawback being the firmware. I've discovered through testing that in order to use id3 tags with 2.53 (or later, more than likely) you need to make sure all your tags are the same version or you will get missing tags, duplicate tags etc.

With that said, the D2 is my main portable player, with my X5l a close second.

Jan 24, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #12 of 14
Well i got it..

this player is great.. its everything i wanted..

only 1 thing i want tho.. i want to be able to put my own background in with a picture or something..

other than that really satisfied.

Jan 24, 2008 at 5:18 AM Post #14 of 14
nice.. now thats pretty hot..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back