Cowon D3 - We have contact...
Feb 3, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #361 of 380
Using the Poweramp app on my Droid X, I get great sound.  The only issue I have is that while running FLAC files, the OS gets very laggy, and the Droid X has a 1 Ghz processor.  The new Droid Bionic that is soon to be released has a dual core 1 Ghz processor.  If the D3 doesn't have at least a 1 Ghz processor and 512mb of RAM, then I worry that it will not have very good performance.

Feb 3, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #362 of 380
FLACs play perfectly fine on my 800MHz Archos 32. Of course they would, since the thing supports 720p video as well. It would be rather silly if an extremely easy to decode audio codec such as FLAC wouldn't play, but HD video would. Not to mention FLAC is easier to decode than even MP3. The ancient Cowon X5 with its 33MHz ColdFire processor has no issues decoding FLAC as well.

Now the D3 of course supports even 1080p video, so any audio related processor/specs stuff should be even more irrelevant.

It's probably not a hardware issue with your Droid phone, there's likely something else wrong. Maybe it's an issue with Poweramp, maybe try another player.

Nov 14, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #365 of 380

Quote:
It doesn't play 24/96... well Rockbox does, with linear interpolation. That should sound almost the same as the Hifiman, then. :p

All audio can be output via S/PDIF.

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ

One interesting fact is that there is a great number of arm - architecture processors that are not even capable of 24/96. In fact the i2s connectionin a lot of cases supports only 16/48.

On a sidenote. I think the sansa Fuze+ processor is capable of native 24/96. Hopfully this will be implemented into rockbox, which is in work I think.

Mar 27, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #367 of 380
I bought the last digital output cable for D3 that was available on US market (even before buying a D3 LOL, because there was only one cable I could found in US). However, I changed my mind.

Anyone wants to take this USB to Coaxial digital cable off my hands? I paid $18.13 usd for it at Amazon. Again, this one seems to be the last one available on US market.

I already have 3X iPhone 3GS (all with digital output docks), 2X Rockboxed Sansa Clip and 3 other coaxial digital output players (Archos 605 with dock). I guess getting another Cowon D3 does not make much sense, because my 3GS can do MOG very well and my Sansa can play FLAC and WAV very well.

Here is what the cable looks like:
http://www.amazon.com/COWON-TV-Out-Cable-V5/dp/B003AYZTA4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8
ir

Please see the FS thread listed in my signature for details, if you would like to buy this digital cable.Thank you.

May 9, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #368 of 380
I've heard that with the newest Firm ware updates that the D3 is running more smoothly than it used to? Have you guys been having the same experince. I'd hate for it to lagg with .flac or other loseless codecs -.- that would be pretty frustrating. Although running it with RockBox might be nice too

May 9, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #370 of 380
Quote:
I've heard that with the newest Firm ware updates that the D3 is running more smoothly than it used to? Have you guys been having the same experince. I'd hate for it to lagg with .flac or other loseless codecs -.- that would be pretty frustrating. Although running it with RockBox might be nice too

Amazon reviews suggest that Android OS upgrade enhances the smoothness in operation. I do not think D3 lacks flac or lossless support; even my ancient Cowon D2 supports those beautifully.

The beauty with D3 is that you can extract coaxial digital signal from it by using a single cable, while none of J3/S9, C2 or Z2 can do that. Once you extract digital signal out of D3, the sound quality only depends on your dac/amp and will get even better.

May 9, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #371 of 380
It's still slow as molasses, even with the latest firmwares. Almost unusable for basic stuff like web browsing. You can watch my video, comparing it to a lowly Archos 32, if you like: http://youtu.be/f4-CMYVpL4U

But this is irrelevant anyways since the D3 has been replaced by the Z2 in the meantime. The Z2 is still quite outdated low-budget Telechips hardware as far as Android goes, but it should be at least faster than the D3.

Either way, I'm done with Cowon's botched Android efforts, I got a Galaxy Tab 7.7 in the meantime - *this* is how an Android device should perform. Samsung knows how to build quality stuff when it comes to Android. And it sounds the same as the D3 as well.

May 24, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #372 of 380
Quote:
It's still slow as molasses, even with the latest firmwares. Almost unusable for basic stuff like web browsing. You can watch my video, comparing it to a lowly Archos 32, if you like: http://youtu.be/f4-CMYVpL4U

But this is irrelevant anyways since the D3 has been replaced by the Z2 in the meantime. The Z2 is still quite outdated low-budget Telechips hardware as far as Android goes, but it should be at least faster than the D3.

Either way, I'm done with Cowon's botched Android efforts, I got a Galaxy Tab 7.7 in the meantime - *this* is how an Android device should perform. Samsung knows how to build quality stuff when it comes to Android. And it sounds the same as the D3 as well.

Nice, part of me want's to like Cowon. I might look into the Z2 but the issue I might face is use a ZUNE, and the os is pretty seamless... it lacks features but there is no lagg... might w8 on getting a new andriod based Media player! I do have an old Andriod phone though, I can use that as an android based player in all actuality. Just need to get a bigger SDHC and get some apps via wifi

Dec 11, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #373 of 380
Cross-posted from anoher Cowon D3 thread.  Please ignore if you saw it there and/or possibly replied.

I have one [a Cowon D3] on the way.  Question to the owners or just in the know.  Does it recognize and decode 24-bit FLAC files, or do they have to be 16-bit?  Thanx.

Dec 12, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #374 of 380
Quote:
Cross-posted from anoher Cowon D3 thread.  Please ignore if you saw it there and/or possibly replied.

I have one [a Cowon D3] on the way.  Question to the owners or just in the know.  Does it recognize and decode 24-bit FLAC files, or do they have to be 16-bit?  Thanx.

It will probably play it, if not the android -music player itself, the ohter players will do it for sure. The problem is that those 24-bit files will be downsampled to 16-bit. Output is always 16/44.

Dec 12, 2012 at 2:36 AM Post #375 of 380
Quote:

It will probably play it, if not the android -music player itself, the ohter players will do it for sure. The problem is that those 24-bit files will be downsampled to 16-bit. Output is always 16/44.

Even out via the Coax S/PDIF?  :xf_eek:  I'm buying it to be a digital source to the FiiO E17 amp. That would be tragic if so!  Thanx for the reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back