Cowon D2 w/ UE Triple.fi 10 and Klipsch Custom 3 IEMs
Nov 29, 2008 at 6:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

TJ Max

500+ Head-Fier
So I'm going to be getting a D2 next week, hopefully it will arrive Monday.
will I have problems with the UE Triple.Fi 10 Pros and the Klispch Custom 3 IEMs. I think they both have an impedence of 32Ohms will that be a problem with the D2?

Nov 29, 2008 at 10:04 AM Post #3 of 11
But how do they sound?
I am interested in the D2 too, 16GB + a 32 GB card means 48 GB which is enough for my library on FLAC. But I read some reports about how bad the D2 sounds into <60 Ohm headphones because of the bassrolloff.

Nov 29, 2008 at 2:24 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by dura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But how do they sound?
I am interested in the D2 too, 16GB + a 32 GB card means 48 GB which is enough for my library on FLAC. But I read some reports about how bad the D2 sounds into <60 Ohm headphones because of the bassrolloff.

that's rather subjective.. to some, headphones under 60ohms sound like bull with the D2, but you yourself might not, so if you can, try it first! see if you agree with what the reports say
normal_smile .gif

Nov 29, 2008 at 3:34 PM Post #7 of 11
How exactly does impedence effect the sound quality? Should'nt the larger impedence sound worst since more of the current is blocked? How does it work?

Nov 29, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #8 of 11
I didn't notice any bass roll off when I used my Triple.Fi's straight out of the Cowon, without any adapter. However, you are the only person that will be able to notice it. Different persons hear differently.
I liked the sound of that combo, but I need to sell my Triple.Fi's soon, so...

Nov 30, 2008 at 5:20 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ Max /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How exactly does impedence effect the sound quality? Should'nt the larger impedence sound worst since more of the current is blocked? How does it work?

I would just like to bump this question.

Nov 30, 2008 at 8:47 AM Post #10 of 11
The added resistor lowers the current. This lowers the volume a little bit, but also you get less hiss (because the DAPs amp doesn't heat up that much and therefore distorts less), the battery lasts longer (lets say the battery can store 1 Ah and you reduce the current from 0.4 A to 0.2 A, then the battery would last 5 h instead of 2.5 h), and also the bass roll off will reduce. Lower frequencies draw more current then high frequencies, and in moments with lots of bass the battery sometimes can't deliver enough current and then the bass notes are reproduced with less volume than pieces of music that are not that bass heavy. In car audio you add a big capacitor before the amp to buffer current for the moments when it's needed, but in a DAP there isn't much room and most manufacturers therefore don't put big enough caps in their DAPs.

Nov 30, 2008 at 3:51 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by E.B.M.Head /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The added resistor lowers the current. This lowers the volume a little bit, but also you get less hiss (because the DAPs amp doesn't heat up that much and therefore distorts less), the battery lasts longer (lets say the battery can store 1 Ah and you reduce the current from 0.4 A to 0.2 A, then the battery would last 5 h instead of 2.5 h), and also the bass roll off will reduce. Lower frequencies draw more current then high frequencies, and in moments with lots of bass the battery sometimes can't deliver enough current and then the bass notes are reproduced with less volume than pieces of music that are not that bass heavy. In car audio you add a big capacitor before the amp to buffer current for the moments when it's needed, but in a DAP there isn't much room and most manufacturers therefore don't put big enough caps in their DAPs.

This is what I thought, but I've been hearing people say that the lower the imepdence like 32ohm in the earphones produces a bass roll off. Should'nt earphones with higher impedence suffer from this problem more since there is more resistance? I keep hearing that the more impedence in the earphones the better it will sound. Its very confusing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back