Cowon: D2 vs iAudio 7?
May 2, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #16 of 61
You really have to trust your own ears. I know many others who use the D2 with an amp, and find the sound quality to be nothing short of excellent. All I know is that when hooked up my Tomahawk and Predator, the sound is just as good as if I was using the Predator's digital DAC via USB. That's pretty darn good, in my books.

Even when I was using just the HP out, I've been nothing but pleased with the SQ of the D2. The D2 may be cold, but with warmer headphone such as the SE530 or Atrio's, they balance each other out. If you use something as cold and detailed as Ety ER-4P, then I imagine you would have issues with its sound signature.

May 2, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #17 of 61
Which music do you guys listen to?

May 2, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #18 of 61
Another thing worth mentioning, Cowon's been improving the sound quality of the D2 throughout their firmware releases. 3.53 and the newest 3.55 has resulted in significant jumps in sound quality. 3.55 almost makes my neutral D2's HP line-out sound better than the USB DAC of the RSA Predator.

May 3, 2008 at 4:02 AM Post #20 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by siresmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Shpongle"? lol. is that a joke? Im not even going to google it.

Thus a prejudice is quickly born ...

Shpongle – Listen free at Last.fm

May 3, 2008 at 5:48 AM Post #21 of 61
I have the D2 and can't like it any more..I had the sony A818 b4 the D2 but ultimately returned it cause the sound was over bass driven and very polished basically it was very synthetic..

May 4, 2008 at 7:18 AM Post #22 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by robojack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually find the D2 to sound quite neutral, provided you don't use any Jeteffects and EQ. When used as a psuedo-lineout source, it sounds near identical to my Predator's DAC component.

That's pretty good! Have you tried the i7 as well? For now it seems that I have two opinions: D2 sounds very good, and i7 sounds better than D2. Outside of SQ you have the i7 size but somewhat poor operability vs the D2's somewhat better operability but bigger size. If the SQ was precisely the same, that would count in i7's favour, though not by a large margin.

So SQ ... have you auditioned the i7?

May 4, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #23 of 61
I have, and with all Jefeffects off, and I can that it sounds very, very similar to the D2.

It's worth noting that Cowon has been continuously making improvements to the D2's sound in their recent firmware releases. Firmware 3.52 had greatly improved the SQ of the D2, and the latest 3.55 firmware (released last month), which I had not installed when i wrote my last post, makes the D2 sparkle even more! In fact, after applying the 3.55 firmware, my D2's pseudo-lineout is even more exciting at times to listen to than my Predator's DAC.

So to all D2 users who haven't upgraded their firmwares: UPGRADE TO FIRMWARE ver. 3.55, and be awestruck by the D2's enhanced SQ.

This kind of continous impnrovement in SQ (not just gimmicky features, although there have been those in their firmwares) really demonstrates Cowon's dedication to the D2, which has been selling like crazy all over the world.

May 4, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #24 of 61
Solan, don't complicate your choice! Both players are very good and will sound quite similar to an "average ear".

I personally like controls of i7 much better then D2, 'cause it's much easier & faster to operate comparing to touchscreen design. It will take just couple of days to get used to, just like any other device.

As I said before, if you want to watch Videos & to have SD slot for storage expansion - go D2! Need something small just to play music files? Cowon i7!

End of story! :wink:

May 4, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #25 of 61
If it's as simple as that: i7. I use big, external HDs for music storage, and never, ever watch videos on the run. I'll probably be using a pair of Argos (rather inexpensive; cost $20 in Norway) or Grado 325i, depending on the circumstances. I discretely (though obviously not secretly) also lust for the ATH-ESW9 ...

May 5, 2008 at 10:52 AM Post #27 of 61
Amps always improve things, but both Cowon models have pretty powerful amps built-in, so if you wonder whether they are capable of driving your headphones, I would say yes unless they're AKG K701 or Sennheiser HD650. That said, it would be ultra cool to walk around with a pair of HD650 in public! (which reminds me I need to add team Nerd-Fi to my .sig.)

See also this link: Audio Compare: D2 verses X5 or X5L - abi>>forums

May 5, 2008 at 12:49 PM Post #29 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amps always improve things, but both Cowon models have pretty powerful amps built-in, so if you wonder whether they are capable of driving your headphones, I would say yes unless they're AKG K701 or Sennheiser HD650. That said, it would be ultra cool to walk around with a pair of HD650 in public! (which reminds me I need to add team Nerd-Fi to my .sig.)

See also this link: Audio Compare: D2 verses X5 or X5L - abi>>forums

Capable of driving? Yes. Capable of driving WELL? Not really. An amp is needed, as you'll need to crank the volume far higher than with IEMs. Cowon's amps can barely drive cans, and really require an amp to shine if you're going to use that configuration.

May 5, 2008 at 12:57 PM Post #30 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by robojack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Capable of driving? Yes. Capable of driving WELL? Not really. An amp is needed, as you'll need to crank the volume far higher than with IEMs. Cowon's amps can barely drive cans, and really require an amp to shine if you're going to use that configuration.

For those of us who think t-shirt + jeans are proper attire, that should mean i7 in one pocket + cmoy amp in the other. Or both in the same pocket?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back