Cowon D2 vs. Archos 5
May 21, 2009 at 1:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Bleuburd

100+ Head-Fier
I'm trying to find a player to replace my old 5.5 ipod. The D2 looks great, but the fact that it's got a 2.5" screen is kind of difficult for me to swallow. I mean, I want to use this thing with my fingers. 2.5" sounds like stylus only territory to me. Now, I know the cowon has a reputation for exceptional sq though. I guess what I want to find out is this: will the difference in sound quality make the D2 worth its tiny size? If not, the Archos 5 looks great. I know it has a hdd instead of flash memory, but will that be that big of a deal? The fact that it has wifi is another big plus. I've heard however that the D2 does beat it on sound quality. You can see I'm in quite a conundrum. If someone can tell me that the d2 is convenient and use-able with just fingers. Then Cowon's probably got my business. Any help is appreciated.

~Bleuburd

May 21, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #3 of 13
I've tried the Archos 5 back when I was considering it. Since I was mainly looking for an audio player, the Archos 5 was out as soon as I heard it through my headphones. It was on par with the iPod, and I wanted an upgrade with storage (which it definitely had, HDD haters be damned) and sound quality. That's not to say it's BAD, but if you're looking for an upgrade from your iPod's sound, I'm going to assume D2 is better based on what I heard from the Archos 5 and other people's opinions on that small device.

I would've loved the wi-fi, but when I'm at a hotspot, I'm either already on a laptop or I'm using my desktop, so unless it could be used anywhere, I had to let it go.

But man did that Archos 5 win in looks and everything else.

May 21, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #4 of 13
Ok, D2 is sounding more and more plausible here. Because, currently I listen through the line out on my 5.5G ipod amped with a ibasso d2 boa. It's pretty nice, but I wanted my next portable player to sound good with iems unamped. Say PFEs + cowon d2. But, what no one has told me if the D2 is easily operated with just fingers (no stylus). Is this possible (comfortable)?

May 21, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #5 of 13
D2 operation with you fingers can SOMETIMES be frustrating depending on how big your fingers are. For the most part it was pretty comfortable. I recommend getting a D2 and putting the D2+ firmware on it because the interface on the D2+ FW has larger virtual buttons making it easier to use with your hands.

May 22, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirby1356 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
D2 operation with you fingers can SOMETIMES be frustrating depending on how big your fingers are. For the most part it was pretty comfortable. I recommend getting a D2 and putting the D2+ firmware on it because the interface on the D2+ FW has larger virtual buttons making it easier to use with your hands.

x2 on the D2+ firmware. I modded my D2 and I think the improvment in SQ is noticeable, as well.

May 22, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #8 of 13
well sdhc is only used to store files, so as long as it's a) not false size and b) reads fast enough for flac it doesn't really matter whether it's fake or not. at least that's been my experience with the psp memory sticks, whatever they are called

May 22, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #11 of 13
Well, I really appreciate all the positive feedback on the d2. My wallet is aching now though. I just ordered my first real IEM, the phonak pfe. I'm firmly stopped from buying any other equipment for a while now though.

May 22, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #12 of 13
Is it only me that thinks the D2 has bass rolloff issues with IEM's??

This really irritates me but otherwise its quite a good player, you could also get the new Sony x series heard they go good with IEM's combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back