Cowon D2 to Amp to Klipsch X10/X5?
Nov 18, 2008 at 11:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Fumoffuru

Head-Fier
Hey everyone.

I've been doing a bit of research on what to purchase along with the Cowon D2 I just ordered. I've searched and read through most of the pertinent threads regarding the X10 and X5 from Klipsch (those that showed up in search anyways) and I decided to ask here.

My collection is 192-320 CBRs, v0s, and FLAC. I'm working on completely converting to FLAC, but that will take a while. Also, headphones I've owned/currently own are Sennheiser CX300, Shure E3g, and Sennheiser PX100.

Anyways, because of the half price offer on Klipsch's IEMs, I was looking to buy either the X10 or the X5. I've read that the X10's are amazingly comfortable, but the rubber at the end of the ear piece tends to deteriorate. Has anyone had any recent experience with this? Also, I've read two different opinions: that the X10 has stronger bass, but are more fatiguing than the X5 and the complete opposite. With the understanding that it is subjective, is the difference in sound justifiable in one or the other purchase (ignoring price)?

Also, I started researching amps to purchase. I'm at the moment between the Fiio E5 (when it is released) or constructing my own (cMoy perhaps). Does anyone have experience with the X10/X5 amped?

Sorry for the long-ish first thread, and I appreciate any advice that can be thrown my way. : )

Nov 19, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #2 of 8
I saw that thread and did searches for info on the X10, and I stumbled onto this thread. I'm sure it'll be useful for you, http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/s...ess-up-338443/

Also, check the X10 Appreciation thread some on the front page, I think. it should give you a good idea of the X10s and the cabling problem.

Nov 19, 2008 at 6:20 AM Post #3 of 8
cowon d2 does not need to be amplified with most IEM's. just plug in play. plugging an amp in just boosts the line level (and noise) and may change the EQ. if your source files are recorded at low levels then running thru an amp may be justified to boost the output levels.

Nov 19, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

I saw that thread and did searches for info on the X10, and I stumbled onto this thread. I'm sure it'll be useful for you, Synergy between Portable Amps and IEMs - 9 IEM compared with 9 portable amps = 81 chances to mess up!

Also, check the X10 Appreciation thread some on the front page, I think. it should give you a good idea of the X10s and the cabling problem.

That link is fantastic, thank you.

Quote:

cowon d2 does not need to be amplified with most IEM's. just plug in play. plugging an amp in just boosts the line level (and noise) and may change the EQ. if your source files are recorded at low levels then running thru an amp may be justified to boost the output levels.

For what reason exactly does the D2 not require amplification? Most threads I've read state to amp it with very specific settings with regards to the EQ, BBE, etc... to achieve a simulated line out.

Nov 21, 2008 at 12:30 AM Post #6 of 8
I agree that the Cowon D2 doesn't really need amplification ... it already has pretty much the best inbuilt DAC of any available PMP.

I'm not sure what the benefits of using a really good amp would be (RSA Predator or the like) but I don't think a cheap amp will really achieve all that much.

I bought an iBasso D2 to go with my Cowon D2 and Westone UM2s and although I'm starting to notice a bit more separation and slightly more foward mids I wouldn't say it was a vast improvement on what I get straight out of the Cowon.

I might get flamed for saying this, as I know there are a lot of Fiio fans about, but the Fiio is a pretty low level amp ... I really can't see it doing anything to improve on the already impressive Cowon.

But it's your money ... if you really think you'll get something more out of it go for it and you can make your own mind up whether it really adds anything to the listening experience or whether it's just something esle to carry around.

Nov 21, 2008 at 12:45 AM Post #8 of 8
Can't speak for the X5, but the X10 is never fatiguing, and responds well to amping, both with the E3, and really well with the MiniboxE+. No better IEM at $175 when it comes to SQ/comfort ratio. My X10s are not having any fraying problems, but I see some others are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back