Cowon D2 Song browing
May 25, 2008 at 10:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Envoy of Light

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I was wondering about the song browsing method used in the Cowon D2. Heard it uses a folder based song browsing system, and that's cool, but can I also browse through my songs in ID3 tags? I worked pretty hard on retagging all of my songs with mp3tag..

Thanks in advance
wink.gif

Have a good day!
Envoy.

May 25, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #4 of 12
ID3 browsing is far from optimised. Only came out on fairly new firmware[.4X]. Latest is .57.

May 25, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ID3 browsing is far from optimised. Only came out on fairly new firmware[.4X]. Latest is .57.

Oh, that bites.
Does it mean I won't be able to use flash skins made by other users and use ID3 browsing? Because I've heard that you can install flash skins only on various 3.xx firmwares..

May 25, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #6 of 12
May 26, 2008 at 1:05 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Envoy of Light /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, that bites.
Does it mean I won't be able to use flash skins made by other users and use ID3 browsing? Because I've heard that you can install flash skins only on various 3.xx firmwares..

The 3.xx firmware can be installed on ANY D2.

Yes, you can use flash skins and ID3 browsing.

I don't understand why the other guy said that ID3 tagging is far from optimized. The ID3 tagging is only messed up for OGG files. Hopefully that will be fixed sometime.

May 26, 2008 at 10:35 AM Post #8 of 12
^ Ummm, the 'FOLDER' & 'ALL' boundaries have been messed up on ID3 browsing.

Shuffle is far from good either.

May 26, 2008 at 10:38 AM Post #9 of 12
ID3 browsing has been out for a long while, I'm not sure where you got the info from Chris but it came out mid last year sometime - it's better now than it ever was. 3.57 is pretty solid from what I can tell.

It's a little picky with versions of tags but a few minutes with mp3tag will sort that out no problem and you might be ok anyway.

And although 3.XX can be installed on any, if you have a DAB D2 (UK only - I don't know where you're from!) then you might as well use 1.XX - flash skins etc while retaining the DAB function.

EDIT: Fair enough with the boundary/shuffle although I've never had a problem with the boundaries (I don't use the shuffle)

May 26, 2008 at 1:20 PM Post #10 of 12
I did not say it was new or old, read. I said it came out in 4-series firmware, which it did.
There is 2-series firmware, so 4 is not comparatively hugely improved.

It actually says COWON have had ample opportunity to alter the boundaries then.

I do not use shuffle, but the ID3-browsing does not work as it should for me.

I'd like to play all audio files on my D2/Card by playing entire albums continuously/alphabetically in tag browsing.
It should just be a case of setting the boundary to 'ALL' and browsing by albums, but doing this it just plays Album#1 through and depending on repeat-mode it'll start playing Album#1 again.
Same as 'FOLDER'.
frown.gif

May 26, 2008 at 2:40 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did not say it was new or old, read. I said it came out in 4-series firmware, which it did.

It did, but the X.4X firmwares were released at the end of Feb 2007 (around when the D2 was released in the UK - I bought it on release) and there have been a fair few firmware revisions since then. I'm just saying that the comment that it's in a recent firmware is wrong/misleading, not trying to be picky. (and yes, I can read
wink.gif
)

But yes, it should've been done right back then!

That's a pain, I thought I'd left it on FOLDER but alas it was on ALL. I was going to suggest using the DPL but that doesn't work in ID3 either. Damnit! Thanks for pointing that out, ruined my afternoon...

May 26, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #12 of 12
^ I'm just annoyed the D2 won't do it. Not even able to, it is an easily-fixable error...so Feb 2007, that was 15 months ago.
confused.gif

foobar plays that way by default...i.e. it plays anything in playlist in order. Essentially I want every album on my D2 to go in the playlist and play.

edit - m3u.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back