Cowon D2 - regarding bass roll-off
Sep 24, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what bothered me more than the bass rolloff (as most players have it) was the crosstalk which gave me a headache. even with resistance it only performs about as well as most other average performing players.

my nano without resistance puts out 65-70db crosstalk and does not give me a headache but does have a similar bass roll off.

had it been that the stereo performance was better than this audiophile piece had gapless, i might ahve kept it

I do not understand you. so are you saying that the Cowan is giving you headaches because of its crosstalk.

Sep 24, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #17 of 25
well, I don't understand him as well. -56.1 dB @ 80 Ohm ain't bad. Most full size amps don't give you more than -60 dB channel separation ...

Sep 24, 2008 at 5:47 PM Post #18 of 25
my nano without an amp gives 65db. the d2 and nano 3g are very similar sound wise with my music but the crosstalk performance without an amp (how i used it) was attrocious enough that i sold it as i prefer to go ampless.

when i used the er4p to s adapter, it made a huge difference but it was already too late as i had an ipod touch that had gapless and did everything better for my music.

Sep 25, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #22 of 25
yeah, my um2 did far better with an amp: but i sold them after even my d2 with its very quiet amp, hissed.

but, no matter that they have bass, they have no resolution in bass because of the roll off and that caused me to change phones and eventually find that no phone i went for sounded good unless they were larger high ohm phones. there is no definition as the roll off occurs before the rumble or the deep resonances.

the phones that worked great with added resistance are the fx500, the atrio m5 and pretty much anydynammic based iem.

Sep 25, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #23 of 25
I would not say there is no resolution in the bass with the D2 + UM2. There is plenty of bass quantity, and yet quality is not sacrificed.

It is unfortunate that most of the high end BA iems are so sensitive and low impedance, since it makes them unusable with many amps and players. And of course, adding resistance just destroys the sound.

On a brighter note, I have found that my X5L has remarkable synergy with the UM2, with minimal hiss.

Sep 25, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #24 of 25
I can't speak for the UM2 specifically but every IEM/HP I tried with the D2 lacked the bass sub-melody present in a lot of rock/metal songs. By which I mean you literally could not hear them, and if they were there, they were smothered by the rest of the spectrum. The D2 has bass, but it's not deep bass, it's more centered towards the middle of the spectrum.

I never ended up trying an impedance adapter, but if that fixes this problem, I'd highly recommend it.

Then again it all depends on the sound you're looking for.

Sep 25, 2008 at 1:26 PM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by toughnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so Punnisher, there's no need to add impedance between D2 and UM2? i was thinking of getting one haha

As for strictly sound, there's no reason. It has a very full spectrum sound because of the dual driver of the UM2.

However there is hiss. Much less hiss than the 5.5g ipod, less than the 3g nano, less than the Clip, but a little more than an X5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back