COWON D2 - Any one have one yet?
Jan 29, 2007 at 4:13 AM Post #16 of 42
Ergh... drooling over here. Do you think there'll be a HCSD firmware update? Oh, and where are you guys getting them?

Jan 29, 2007 at 7:04 AM Post #18 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockin_amigo14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the only place i know of right now that has them is Jetmall.net

right now, SDHC support is pure speculation/

HCSD is hardware, right? But I heard somewhere that a firmware update allowed a normal SD machine to read HCSD. Gaw... this is the one point that's holding me back from ordering one, although swapping out multiple SD cards shouldn't be that painful.

Feb 15, 2007 at 3:19 PM Post #19 of 42
Can anyone tell me how this player is for portable use (music only) on the go?
Everything looks great but the touch screen concerns me, is there 'play, stop, next/back' buttons on the sides so you can use it as an mp3player in your pocket without having to take it out and look at it?

Also, does it support VBR mp3 files as they are, with no converting to wma or solid bitrate mp3s?

Feb 15, 2007 at 6:23 PM Post #20 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnbon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone tell me how this player is for portable use (music only) on the go?
Everything looks great but the touch screen concerns me, is there 'play, stop, next/back' buttons on the sides so you can use it as an mp3player in your pocket without having to take it out and look at it?

Also, does it support VBR mp3 files as they are, with no converting to wma or solid bitrate mp3s?

i have one and absolutely love it. i haven't used my ZVM since my d2 arrived. excellent sound.

there are only three tactile buttons on the player: 2 volume controls and a menu button. the menu button is interesting. a quick press will take you back to the home screen. but, it can be customized. if you hold it down, it can do one of several things. right now, mine is set to 'skip track'.

VBR is accepted and works just fine.

Feb 16, 2007 at 8:10 AM Post #23 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockin_amigo14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have one and absolutely love it. i haven't used my ZVM since my d2 arrived. excellent sound.

there are only three tactile buttons on the player: 2 volume controls and a menu button. the menu button is interesting. a quick press will take you back to the home screen. but, it can be customized. if you hold it down, it can do one of several things. right now, mine is set to 'skip track'.

VBR is accepted and works just fine.

Darn, that stinks. Everything about this player sounded great except for that, it's a wonder why they didn't add more side buttons for an alternative. Sure this thing is intended for digital media in general, but it's potential for a great sounding, extremely easy to use 'drag-and-drop' mp3player is crippled by the fact you can't just chuck it in your pocket and go.

Big thumbs down to Cowon on that one
mad.gif
And now the search continues..

Feb 16, 2007 at 1:14 PM Post #24 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnbon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Darn, that stinks. Everything about this player sounded great except for that, it's a wonder why they didn't add more side buttons for an alternative. Sure this thing is intended for digital media in general, but it's potential for a great sounding, extremely easy to use 'drag-and-drop' mp3player is crippled by the fact you can't just chuck it in your pocket and go.

Big thumbs down to Cowon on that one
mad.gif
And now the search continues..

Sorry but what more buttons you would need ? If you can turn the volume up or down and skip the track without taking it out of your pocket, what more you could ask for? Maybe repeat, rewind or fast forward? If so yes this may not be your cup of tea.

However I doubte that a lock on screen touch control is ever present and this should be a main concern. To accidentally hit some function while D2 is in the pocket. Or is there a workaround ?

Feb 16, 2007 at 3:54 PM Post #25 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by calyx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry but what more buttons you would need ? If you can turn the volume up or down and skip the track without taking it out of your pocket, what more you could ask for? Maybe repeat, rewind or fast forward? If so yes this may not be your cup of tea.

However I doubte that a lock on screen touch control is ever present and this should be a main concern. To accidentally hit some function while D2 is in the pocket. Or is there a workaround ?

When you put the player on hold, it disables the touch screen. D2 is an amazing piece of kit, and cowon writes new firmware very fast
biggrin.gif

Feb 16, 2007 at 8:21 PM Post #27 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by calyx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Ihatepopupads. Great to know that. I will probably fail to listen to a Kenwood HD30GB9 (unavailability where I am) and will go Cowon (either X5 or D2).

I have a iaudio player (cw 200- 256 mb) that is 6 years old, I think, hell it might be older ? and still kicking. I think I paid 249.00 dollars for it
biggrin.gif
. At the time it was the s***, had more features and better sound than the competition. Not much has changed, the only thing I want from cowon is no more little joysticks- which they have delivered on the D2.

Feb 17, 2007 at 12:53 AM Post #28 of 42
Greetings all, this is my first post. I just took delivery of my d2 a few days ago. Overall, I am very impressed by this little wonder of technology and could not be happier with my decision. I also own the Iaudio M3 which the d2 is replacing because the m3 has developed a short in the headphone jack (now I just use the m3 as an external drive to store music for my 360). The battery for the d2 is like the energizer bunny!!! It just keeps going and going. I think the d2 may be slightly louder overall compared to the m3. They both sound about the same as far as sound quality. I also own a pair of V-Moda Vibez and some modified Koss Porta-Pro's.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 17, 2007 at 1:00 AM Post #29 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ichinichi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
will it drive higher impedance cans like HD580s?

I just got the d2 the other day and I think it can drive the HD580's alright. It does a better job than my creative soundblaster external soundcard, but I don't have any real amps to compare it to. So far the player has had good sound quality and has been easy to use.

Feb 17, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #30 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by darthdiddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Greetings all, this is my first post. I just took delivery of my d2 a few days ago. Overall, I am very impressed by this little wonder of technology and could not be happier with my decision. I also own the Iaudio M3 which the d2 is replacing because the m3 has developed a short in the headphone jack (now I just use the m3 as an external drive to store music for my 360). The battery for the d2 is like the energizer bunny!!! It just keeps going and going. I think the d2 may be slightly louder overall compared to the m3. They both sound about the same as far as sound quality. I also own a pair of V-Moda Vibez and some modified Koss Porta-Pro's.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Welcome, money will leave you like water flowing downstream when you get this "hobbys" bug
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back