Cowon D2 and Sony S630; my reviews
Oct 24, 2008 at 12:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

toughnut

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys, i already using S638 8gb for few hours and still testing it. So far i can only AB with my D2 using UM2. Here's a summary of what i think bout both players.

Intro:
S638 is new Sony player, identical to S738 but without noise canceling function. D2 need no introduction, already in the market for 2 years and still a favorite among head-fiers.

Hiss:
I really afraid of the hiss as people complaining about the it on A720, A820 and even more on older Sony. But i CANT HEAR ANY HISS on S638!!! Seriously, i heard more hiss on my D2! [S638 1 - D2 0]

SQ:
With both players' EQ set to flat and all enhancements off, first impression is that both performs EQUALLY GOOD. Quite obvious that Sony sound warm while Cowon is cold. But further listening reveals that S638 actually has more details and more depth in soundstage. The low end of S638 are a lot better than D2, tighter and with more presence. The instruments separation is better on S638, making D2 instrument sound a bit stacked and mushed up. [S638 2 - D2 0]

SQ Enhancement:
I havent played much with EQ but Sony 5 bands EQ a bit limited, only +-3 on each band compare to 12 on D2. Other SQE on S638 are VPT, DSEE and Clear Stereo while on D2; BBE, 3D Surround, Stereo Enhance, MP Enhance, Pan and Play Speed. S638 has 2 custom EQ while D2 has only 1 custom EQ BUT WITH 10 JetEffect profiles.

*with ClearBass Level 1/3, UM2 sound like a subwoofer O_O beating even Mach3Bass at MAX level. ClearBass is definitely sound better than M3B, at least on UM2.

[S638 2 - D2 1 but ClearBass definitely make me wanna use it
smily_headphones1.gif
]

Video:

D2 has advantages for bigger screen and easier timeline control due to touchscreen. Both play videos equally good and need video conversion to work. Another function i barely use. [S638 2 - D2 2]

Size:
No contest, Sony win in term of look and size. But reduction in size meant smaller screen (refer VIDEO). [S638 3 - D2 2]

Build quality:
Both equally built but S638 give better impression of higher quality player. Fit assembly, no creaking and excellent finishing. [S638 4 - D2 2]

Navigation:
Circular navigation pad VS touchscreen, obviously touchscreen are better imho. Faster and straight to the point once u get hold of touch interface. Maybe i need to get use to S638 navigation and menu arrangement. I really like how D2 tactile buttons work. Has different functions depending on HOLD state. On Sony, once u LOCK it, all button render useless, like it supposed to be. For now, D2 get the point. [S638 4 - D2 3]

*UPDATE*
After getting used to S638 menu layout, the navigation is quite swift and fast. S638 exhibits no lag between menu and very responsive. On D2, sometimes touch are not registered and quite annoying. I will give both players a TIE. [TIE]

Theme Modification:
S630 series are the first flash memory Sony Walkman capable of changing theme and wallpapers? correct me if i'm wrong. S638 has 10 themes and capable of custom wallpapers. D2, on the other hand, is fully skinable. [S638 4 - D2 3]

Output power:
Just as extra info, S638 at volume 10/30 is identical to 15/50 on D2. i have no idea how to test it which output is higher but judging from the %, it should be identical. I dont bother as at those mentioned volume, it's already quite loud for my ears. [TIE]

Storage Expansion:
D2 has SDcard slot. Case closed
smily_headphones1.gif
[S638 4 - D2 4]

Battery Life:
Sony rated 40 hours songs, 10 hours video playback while D2 52 hours songs and 10 hours video. With D2 playing songs off SDcard, the battery life are around 40+hours so it's another TIE. [TIE]

Connectivity:
D2 use the tried and proven miniUSB connector for data transfer and another custom USB connector for extra connections such as LineIn and VideoOut. Advantage of easy availability. S638 uses own Sony connector which the cable are hard to get but can be bought from Sony. The advantage is the Sony connector design allow very slim profile and therefore very slim design. Connector are used for USB data tansfers, docking base (LINEIN, LINEOUT) and other accessories such as bluetooth transmitter. [TIE]

Extra:
SenseMe is extra features of S638, interesting way of making automated playlists but time to scan albums and generate it take quite a while. D2 has notepad, dictionary, drawing pad, flash games, text viewer, etc but not really utilised by me haha. Both players are podcast ready. [S638 4 - D2 5]

That's all. Any point i missed?

Althought D2 has a point more than S638, that doesnt meant it's a overall better player. I actually like S638 due to the 4 points it acquired: SQ, SIZE, Noise floor and BUILD QUALITY. imho, that's what matter in a music player
smily_headphones1.gif

Now, should i get Sony S639 16Gb or Cowon D2 16Gb? Since this player doesnt belong to me and my D2 8GB are sold and gone
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 24, 2008 at 1:31 AM Post #2 of 27
well, actually, I can hear hiss from my S638 with SE530, but only at quiet environment during quiet passage of songs. Still, huge improvement from Sony A808!

Oct 24, 2008 at 1:49 AM Post #3 of 27
on S638 with UM2, i can only hear noticeable hiss when i crank the volume to 20/30 with no music, faint hiss at 10/30. on D2, even 5/40 i can start hearing hiss. Maybe UM2 is less sensitive than SE530?

Anyway, updated the score for S638 Navigation. Actually once u get hold of the control, it's quite easy. Too bad u cant adjust the scan speed like D2. FF/RW in a song is very slow.

Oct 24, 2008 at 5:16 AM Post #4 of 27
I'm a Cowon FanBoi and I gotta' say the Sony players are the best IMO. All they need to do is add an sd slot and they'd be #1 in my book!!!

Oct 24, 2008 at 6:10 AM Post #5 of 27
nywytboy68, i dont think sd slot is any useful for u. u already have enough storage with 5 DAPs!
biggrin.gif

yeah, a flash memory slot will definitely put Sony on par with D2 as all rounder.

Oct 24, 2008 at 4:16 PM Post #6 of 27
Another update.

I returned S638 since it's a loaner. Using back my soon-to-be-gone D2, i played around with EQ. with 11.7k band +4, 3.2k +2 and 80k +2, D2 actually sound similar to S638. More details can be heard from UM2 compare to flat EQ. D2 also sound more airy compare to dark sounding S638, which i dislike since UM2 is already a warm IEM.

I guess the high of UM2 is not rolled off, just masked by the MID. I think D2 is a KEEPER!

Nov 22, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #7 of 27
From my experience D2 was terrible, in terms of UI, sound quality, and the viewing angle of the screen.

I've tried the EQs from different MP3s, Sony, Cowon, samsungs, and Kenwood.
In my opinion all of their EQs sound terrible, and unusable, except the one on Kenwood(HD20GA7). The EQs only adds distortion to the sound, but not the one on Kenwood.

For the sound quality I prefer Sony and Kenwood MP3 players to the Cowon's.
I'm not saying that the Cowon's don't have enough power to drive some earphones, but their tonality of sound is just bad, and is way too dry.

Verdict: I will choose Sony S639

Dec 1, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #9 of 27
Toughnut, from your impartial account of the key areas there, I think you've already made your mind up on the Sony.

Dec 1, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #10 of 27
I'm pretty sure all Sony's are quite underpowered and the D2 would win in that category. I think every other category is well done though. I would personally go for the S639 for tactile controls, no bass roll-off, size, and build quality.

Only reason I would consider the D2 is for expansion, but I'd prefer the Fuze for that anyways for its wonderful flat response.

Dec 30, 2008 at 3:24 PM Post #12 of 27
hmm this is the dilemma i find myself in.. the sony is on its way.. porbably in my hands jan 10.. (ack too long!) but i could probably get the d2 in less time.. guess a side by side thing its the only way for me to truly decide.

my main hangup for the d2 however, is how to get napster/rhapsody to work. i like the subscription deal..
frown.gif

Dec 30, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #13 of 27
sometimes, i can hear my sony strain to drive my iems where certain tones become hollow. my d2 never had that problem but had too many other points that bothered me to care for it. size, battery life (claim versus real), codec support (i don't care for open source codecs), looks, wma recording only, so so radio, massive bass roll off, silly eq.

it was however one of my favourites in the whole slew of players i have tried. indeed, compared to iriver and some meizu, i do prefer it.

Dec 30, 2008 at 5:04 PM Post #14 of 27
The bassroloff is what keeps me away from my D2; even if my current fav (Sleek SA6) might be fine with the D2s, what aboujt my next IEM?

BTW, bass rolloff seems to me an easy way to claim a much stronger amp with higher watt-figures; and then as soon as things get troublesome -low tones into real-world portable headphones- giving no power at all.
The thing is, kids fall for it; how often I've read here that Ipods/Cowons are better then Sony's only because the claimed amp power are higher...being able to see one number is bigger then another is not all there is to it...

Dec 30, 2008 at 5:21 PM Post #15 of 27
can someone describe rolloff? Sorry < newb.. I'm guessing I've heard it but didnt think anything of it..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back