Cowon D2 and ATH-A700
Oct 27, 2008 at 1:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ajstark

New Head-Fier
I am new to headphones and daps.

Can the Audio Technica ATH-A700 headphones be used with Cowon D2 without using an amp? My Audio Technica ATH-A700 is arriving next week and I will be using it initially with PCDP.

I only listen to classical music. I would like to rip my CD to the flac format. I want to use flac on the Cowon D2. I am concerned that the MP 3 format and WMA format will not have sufficient sq for classical music.

What is the largest external SDHC memory card that can be used with the Cowon D2. I have 100 to 200 classical cd that I would like to store on the device.

How is the FM Tuner on the Cowon D2? Does it have good reception? Does the additional electronics in the tuner interfere with the SQ of the music play back.

Thank You

Al

Oct 27, 2008 at 8:00 AM Post #2 of 5
The ATH-A700 is 64ohm, it will work fine w/the D2. The 37mw per channel is more than enough to drive them.

Oct 27, 2008 at 8:18 AM Post #3 of 5
The FM tuner is 'OK' on the D2, ie. good in strong signal areas, not quite so good elsewhere. I don't think the electronics interfere with playback, the D2 is quite heavy for its size, so maybe has good shielding. I've actually got the DAB/FM version, and the DAB is surprsingly good, int terms of reception. I normally prefer to use DAB rather than FM.

I'm using a SanDisk 32GB SDHC card, which works fine, and combined 48GB is plenty for my needs. There's nothing that says that higher capacity won't work (as far as I can tell), if indeed you can get higher capacity cards.

Oct 28, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #5 of 5
DAB = Digital Audio Broadcast, doesn't work everywhere, only certain countries. As for the FM tuner, it SUX!!! I have the 8gb D2, and I live in NY. The reception is shoddy at best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back