Cowon Audio D2 and Shure SE530 Combo
Nov 9, 2008 at 3:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Cormega

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, I've been playing with the Jetsettings for that sparkling
confused_face(1).gif
sound but with the IEMs I've recently purchased, the sound gets very muddy without any spark to the treble. Overall the SQ is just horrific. My portable equipment consists of Cowon Audio D2, RSA SR-71A, and Shure SE530. I am also using a straight mini to stereo jack adapter with the Black Dragon interconnect cable.
My music files are 192kbps VBR MP3 and Classical, Rock, and Hip Hop are the main listening factors. I do prefer the sound of treble rather than bass. I have checked the iaudiophile.net forum with no success coming up with the right settings. If someone has a similar setup, I would appreciate some feedbacks. Thank you.

Nov 9, 2008 at 5:38 AM Post #3 of 9
The shure iem might be a bit too dark for your preference I would recommend you try an etymotic er4s or er4b. Also the 192k mp3 files might be too lo fi. Comparing my Cowon D2 to the sansa clip, I have noticed that the top end on the D2 might be just tad bit rolled. All these might be contributing to the lousy sound you are getting from your setup.

Nov 9, 2008 at 6:02 AM Post #5 of 9
Also, I set my D2's volume at 25 or 30, sometimes at 34 if the music requires it but not higher. And with either the Tomahawk or Pico, I set the gain to Hi. But my ER4S has a higher impedance than your SE530.

Nov 9, 2008 at 7:03 AM Post #6 of 9
Also, would there be any benefit in SQ by setting the EQ sliders to negative for increase volume rather than setting it high with a much lower volume. I hope this makes sense. Just thought that the Shure SE530 and the D2 was a match made in heaven.

Nov 9, 2008 at 11:43 AM Post #7 of 9
I love the SE530 with the D2. That combo works well with jazz, classical and rock. May be the SE530 sound signature is not to your liking and I would also recommend the Etys.

If you have been over on iaudiophile, check out some of the posts from 4ki re EQ settings. He explains them quite well. I don't EQ but understand that most settings would be set to a "negative" setting.

Nov 13, 2008 at 10:30 AM Post #9 of 9
yeh the se530 with D2 and negative EQ settings sounds lovely, i had an ipod before the D2 and this made the se530 too warm, the D2 however makes the se530 sound flatter and more realistic, mmmmmmmm i love em

Users who are viewing this thread

Back