Cowon A5/Z2, Hifiman 601 or Rocoo P
Oct 24, 2012 at 7:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

mck2530

New Head-Fier
Hi all, i'm obviously new round here and as you will see, very new to the audiophile scene, so please forgive my lack of knowledge. I've spent the last few weeks going from site to site, review to review always one step forward, two steps back lol. Though i have found it all very interesting (so much so that once my problem is resolved i will be looking at a setup for myself), it has left me in a bit of a daze.

It all started when we overheard our son telling his friends how much he would love a set of House of Marley headphones. At a loss as to what to buy him for his upcoming 18th birthday, we opted for the Destiny TTR Noise Cancelling headphones which arrived a few weeks back along with a nice MP3 player which i am still hung up on. He loves listening to Techno/House/Dub music through his Turtle Beach headset whilst gaming but is joining the armed forces in March which is why i have the Cowon in the list (Only looking at he A5 because its pretty much the same as the Z2 with bigger screen and memory for less money), giving him something more than just a good sounding player but is that at a cost in sound quality compared to the Hifiman 601 or Rocoo P?

My question really is, which of the three would pair best with the Destiny headphones and if needed, what would be a suitable amp? Or, is there something better i've overlooked in a similar price range?

Some specs for the headphones if it helps...

[size=small]Frequency Response: 20Hz - 20kHz[/size]
[size=small]Input Power: 100mW[/size]
[size=small]Max Input Power: 100mW[/size]
[size=small]Noise Cancelling: 90% @ 100Hz[/size]
[size=small]Nominal Impedance: 16ohm[/size]
[size=small]Sensitivity: 115dB[/size]
[size=small]Speaker Diameter: 40mm[/size]
[size=small]Cable Length: 3m[/size]
[size=small]Cable type: Cotton braided[/size]

Thanks in advance for any help.

Oct 25, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #2 of 4
Take a look at the reviews for Cowon c2, it apparently has similar sound quality to the j3 (which i own) and you can find it under $150 on ebay, buy a case for it, get a 64gb micro sd card (around $60 on ebay), format it to fat32 (http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68293) and you have a player with 68-72 gb for just over $200. Along with much better battery life

i own the j3 and rocoo P, i much prefer j3's interface and i prefer the sound, but rocoo P has more power, so you will have to check of the power output of the c2 is sufficient for the headphones, i have a feeling it should work fine.

if you think an amp is needed, then something like sansa fuze/clip rockboxed with a 64gb microsd + fiio e11 should do great at the cost of bigger physical size and lower battery life

good luck!

Oct 26, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for the reply but the C2 is way to small a screen for video, if i was to go with a PMP it would be the A5 over the Z2 purely for the bigger screen so the C2 is a none starter really.

Edit: Decided to go with the Z2 alongside Electric Avenues PA2V2. Looking forward to both arriving later this week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back