Covid Headphones
May 10, 2020 at 11:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Newguyuk

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I’ve just joined and I was hoping to get some advice about the best headphones for the current situation. I currently have soundpeat true wireless and they were doing a great job pre Covid.

However I am now not using them. Pre Covid whenever I went out for a walk I would always listen to music. I can’t now as they are too many people out and about not following social distancing rules and I now need to have situation awareness. I need to be able to hear cyclist and runners approaching.

I miss music. Walking without music can be boring. So is there any headphones that would allow me to hear people heading my way. I know there are some that will definitely allow traffic noise to be picked up but is there any that will let me hear cyclist and runners approaching from behind.

Thank you.
Newguy

May 10, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #2 of 19
Don't know your budget, but a pair of Koss KSC75s would probably fit the bill. They're open back so you can still hear things going on around you and they're also pretty lightweight. If you want something with bluetooth there's a wireless version of the Koss KSC35s that are similar.

May 10, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #3 of 19
Don't know your budget, but a pair of Koss KSC75s would probably fit the bill. They're open back so you can still hear things going on around you and they're also pretty lightweight. If you want something with bluetooth there's a wireless version of the Koss KSC35s that are similar.
HipHopScribe. Thanks for the suggestions. I’m definitely after wireless. I just had a quick look and the Koss KSC35 don’t seem to be available in the UK budget wise 200 max but would prefer to spend a lot less if anything fits the bill

May 10, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #4 of 19
I have the sound Soundpeats TWS (True Wireless) which are ok. As Hiphopscribe said, it would be helpful to know your budget.

Also do you want In Ear Monitors (ear phones wired) TWS (wireless earbuds) Over Ear (headphones).

My music listening experience during lockdown has been pure pleasure. It was by pure chance when I was browsing Ali Express in February when I saw a Tribrid IEM, TRI I3. What attracted me to them was the planar, dynamic, and BA combination of drivers. Having got the Blon B20 open back planar headphones, I realised how much I like the planar sound. I could not find any reviews on YouTube fortheTRI I3, but the reaction of the 3 people who had bought them made me take the blind plunge at £120. I got them just in time for the start of Lockdown. WOW! No regrets. They are "Ear Speakers" for £120, worth every penny. Lockdown has been much more bearable than otherwise. Check out the dedicated thread here on Head-Fi.

You ought to buy a silver (rather than copper) replacement cable, KB Ear cable is what I got. It is also worth using an amp. If portable consider Fiio BTR5. A dongle will do, as this hobby does punish the wallet!

Alternatively, Blon BL03 IEMs, good value and they sound OK. An improvement on Soundpeats.

TWS earbuds I love are Lypertek Tevi, great sound although a bit bass-light, I like them sound quality, for resolution, waterproof, 9 hours battery between charges, 30 hours altogether on the case.

KZ earbuds sound interesting, I don't have a pair so I cannot say from personal experience, but price looks good and if reviews are to be believed, they sound good as well.

Hope you find something you like.

May 10, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #5 of 19
Hi all,

I’ve just joined and I was hoping to get some advice about the best headphones for the current situation. I currently have soundpeat true wireless and they were doing a great job pre Covid.

However I am now not using them. Pre Covid whenever I went out for a walk I would always listen to music. I can’t now as they are too many people out and about not following social distancing rules and I now need to have situation awareness. I need to be able to hear cyclist and runners approaching.

I miss music. Walking without music can be boring. So is there any headphones that would allow me to hear people heading my way. I know there are some that will definitely allow traffic noise to be picked up but is there any that will let me hear cyclist and runners approaching from behind.

Thank you.
Newguy
Solution would be to wear a mask and googles when the chances be being near others is that high.

May 11, 2020 at 3:14 AM Post #7 of 19
thanks ChrisOc. My budget is a max of £200 but I would prefer to spend a lot less of possible. The two key requirements are that it needs to be wireless and provide me with situational awareness so that I can hear runners and cyclist heading my way. I don’t really mind I’d it’s TWS or over ear headphones.

Out of the ones you recommend the Lypertek Tevi look interesting but I suspect I will have the saMe problem as the sound peats and that not being able to hear people coming my way.

cheers

I have the sound Soundpeats TWS (True Wireless) which are ok. As Hiphopscribe said, it would be helpful to know your budget.

Also do you want In Ear Monitors (ear phones wired) TWS (wireless earbuds) Over Ear (headphones).

My music listening experience during lockdown has been pure pleasure. It was by pure chance when I was browsing Ali Express in February when I saw a Tribrid IEM, TRI I3. What attracted me to them was the planar, dynamic, and BA combination of drivers. Having got the Blon B20 open back planar headphones, I realised how much I like the planar sound. I could not find any reviews on YouTube fortheTRI I3, but the reaction of the 3 people who had bought them made me take the blind plunge at £120. I got them just in time for the start of Lockdown. WOW! No regrets. They are "Ear Speakers" for £120, worth every penny. Lockdown has been much more bearable than otherwise. Check out the dedicated thread here on Head-Fi.

You ought to buy a silver (rather than copper) replacement cable, KB Ear cable is what I got. It is also worth using an amp. If portable consider Fiio BTR5. A dongle will do, as this hobby does punish the wallet!

Alternatively, Blon BL03 IEMs, good value and they sound OK. An improvement on Soundpeats.

TWS earbuds I love are Lypertek Tevi, great sound although a bit bass-light, I like them sound quality, for resolution, waterproof, 9 hours battery between charges, 30 hours altogether on the case.

KZ earbuds sound interesting, I don't have a pair so I cannot say from personal experience, but price looks good and if reviews are to be believed, they sound good as well.

Hope you find something you like.

May 11, 2020 at 3:18 AM Post #8 of 19
Solution would be to wear a mask and googles when the chances be being near others is that high.
SilverEars

Totally get the comment and fully makes sense. Currently the advise from government here is to only wear a face mask when shopping and when using public transport. The problem is that it’s very difficult to get proper face masks. Yes you could get home made ones from Etsy but that seems to be it. I could just use a scarf but not sure that would help much.

most people are simply not wearing face masks. A few did at the start but not really any more.They probably ran out.

May 11, 2020 at 3:55 AM Post #9 of 19
thanks ChrisOc. My budget is a max of £200 but I would prefer to spend a lot less of possible. The two key requirements are that it needs to be wireless and provide me with situational awareness so that I can hear runners and cyclist heading my way. I don’t really mind I’d it’s TWS or over ear headphones.

Out of the ones you recommend the Lypertek Tevi look interesting but I suspect I will have the saMe problem as the sound peats and that not being able to hear people coming my way.

cheers

You are right, the Lypertek Tevis are more for pleasure listening.

Spending a lot of money on a workhorse is not ideal. You want something for a practical purpose which is rugged. My advice is to check out Amazon UK for good value noise cancelling headphones but they must be "Active Noise Cancelling" which usually come with the option to hear your surroundings or shut out external noise.

TaoTronics are said to be a good brand with good sound quality and good value £50 to £60. I have not used them before but I believe they have noise cancelling and the option to hear your surroundings. Check them out and carefully read the buyers reviews for comments on your specific needs.

I suggest Amazon because you can return the item you buy with little or no hassle. That would give you the opportunity to check that it serves your purpose, otherwise it goes back.

Good luck.

May 11, 2020 at 7:42 AM Post #10 of 19
Has anybody got any experience with Sony WH-1000XM3. I was expecting them to be a lot more expensive but if I stretched my budget I would be able to get a pair.

Apparently they allow you to hear the real world. For those that have got them are we talking traffic noise e.g cars or would I be able to hear runners and cyclist approaching.
thank you

May 11, 2020 at 8:10 AM Post #11 of 19
SilverEars

Totally get the comment and fully makes sense. Currently the advise from government here is to only wear a face mask when shopping and when using public transport. The problem is that it’s very difficult to get proper face masks. Yes you could get home made ones from Etsy but that seems to be it. I could just use a scarf but not sure that would help much.

most people are simply not wearing face masks. A few did at the start but not really any more.They probably ran out.
I see them more available on Amazon. I thought more in supply with production ramped up.

Also, Hifiman is sending them for free as long as you pay shipping. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/face-mask-free-giving-by-hifiman.928711/

I'd get the protection equipment as they are more urgent.

May 11, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #12 of 19
Has anybody got any experience with Sony WH-1000XM3. I was expecting them to be a lot more expensive but if I stretched my budget I would be able to get a pair.

Apparently they allow you to hear the real world. For those that have got them are we talking traffic noise e.g cars or would I be able to hear runners and cyclist approaching.
thank you

Yup, they are priced well now, the XM4 version is about to go out. You are correct, some wireless headphone have a function where they mix outside noise with your music so you are aware of your surroundings. Could be exactly what you need. Quick attention mode and smart listening modes I think they are called on the XM3.

It's about as good as it gets for wireless noise cancelling headphones.

May 11, 2020 at 7:18 PM Post #13 of 19
I luv my AirPods Pro, but maybe much beyond your budget. Transparency mode sounds so natural. I've heard many TWS with transparency modes, and they all sounded boosted in the treble, sounding unnatural, but not the APP.

It's a very likeable TWS imo. That and your mask and googles, you are all set!

May 12, 2020 at 3:41 AM Post #14 of 19
Thanks all. I’m still not a fan of how the AirPods look and I think I would much prefer to go with the Sony ones. I don’t think I’m they bothered that a new model is coming out. I would never spend 350 on headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back