1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Covia Zeal Edge - 24 / 192 Portable DAC Amp

Discussion in 'Portable Headphone Amps' started by parthabhatta, Nov 24, 2018.
  1. parthabhatta
    _20181124_174544.JPG _20181124_174721.JPG I bought the Covia Zeal Edge mini DAC Amp for use with a phone not having USB "C" as this DAC has a micro USB type input. Its constructed of metal with mat finish exterior. The input is through a micro USB cable coming out from the inside the DAC. On the other side of the DAC is the 3.5 mm jack port. Its 7/8 cm long, 2 cm wide and about 8mm high. Sides are beautifully curved and good to hold. There is a strong and sturdy spring clip marked "ZEAL" resembling a clip of a pen. The packet is excellently printed but most of the instructions is in Japanese. I bought it from ebay.com for 16 USD plus another 4/5 USD for shipping. The DAC is made in China.

Initially I listened to this with my wife's Redmi 4X. It worked but somehow there was a connectivity problem and one of the channel would only play if I pulled the earphone jack a bit (about 0.5 mm) outside. I was disappointed as otherwise this device is solidly constructed and has an excellent and solid finish. Today I tried to give it a go as I was enjoying a holiday. Unscrewed the case. The PCB was tightly fitted in a channel side the case but could be pulled out easily. On opening, I found a wire hanging loose (solder failure) and the Earphone female socket not soldered properly to the board. Poor craftsmanship of such an excellent device at least from its external appearance. I soldered them and put it back and fitted the case again. Connected it to Redmi 4X, started HiBy and wow sound came out from both the channels, and what a sound it was. I was blown away.

Exceptional clarity with minute details of 24/192 track hearable, open and airy, tight bass, excellent sparky treble, may be a bit sibilant and very good mids. I am loving the sound of this mini DAC Amp. I think its much better than my VE Odyssey, KZ USB C DAC Cable and at par with Hidizs Sonata 2, if not better. I feel the Covia Zeal reproduces a sound which I feel is more pleasure and lively to listen than Sonata. Wish to listen from experts who have both.

Overall an excellent buy for me now after I could fix it, although the item was defective on receipt.

Edit : One con which i forgot is - the device heats up quite a bit. Can hold it by hand but couple of degrees more and skin may burn.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018