Covering up bad case work?
Feb 17, 2010 at 9:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Teal

New Head-Fier
So I messed up drilling some holes in slightly wrong places and needed to drill them a bit larger to allow the outputs to fit through. Now there's ugly openings that I have to do something about.

If its something that has a knob attached to it or an external knut that screws on, then that part covers up the holes quite nicely. But not everything has that.

Any ideas on how to cover up mistakes?

Feb 17, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #2 of 11
There are way too many kinds of mistakes for this to be an answerable question.

Most of the time, I'm inclined to re-make the part/panel rather than try to work around a badly-made one.

Post a picture of your chassis and I'm sure folks here will have helpful suggestions.

Feb 17, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #3 of 11
thisthreadisuselesswithoutpichers.jpg

Feb 17, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #4 of 11
Oh man, don't even talk about it.
frown.gif

I've just messed up a 10mm thick front panel for a HiFi2000 case because my drill bit snapped and hit the panel...

I was looking for a simple front design and now I'll have to find some way to cover my bad work. I really don't want to spend 30€ just to order a new panel.

Feb 17, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #5 of 11
Ugly wallowed out hole?

You might be able to dress it up with a nice stainless steel washer epoxied to the face plate that is sized to allow the output to pass through.

If you can't find a perfect sized washer, drill the inside diameter of a smaller washer to the O.D. of the output and then buff it up all shiny like with steel wool and compound and mount it over the ugly stuff.

Just an idea....
wink.gif

Feb 18, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #9 of 11
What about a washer around the components in question? That would cover up the widened hole and make it look somewhat finished.

Let's just say it's an RCA jack with an extra large hole. Get a plastic washer and put it underneath the jack. It will make it look like an isolated rca jack.

Feb 18, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #10 of 11
I don't have a camera on me at the moment. The original hole I drilled was the exact size of the RCA jack, but it wasn't centered right (I can't ever seem to center a large drill bit properly). To 'fix' it, I 'moved' the hole with the drill, so it's an oval shape now. If I put a washer behind the jack, it will still expose the weird shape of the hole. Also the panel is metal, so I'm not sure how well a plastic washer would fit into the look.

I also need to label the jacks, so maybe I could cover it up with an appropriate label. It would be nice if someone had pics of how they covered up their mistakes to give me some ideas.

Feb 18, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by pixeljedi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Toss some JB Weld in there and then sand it up. Might be better than visible holes
wink.gif

This is the only thing that I'd recommend short of replacing all or part of the panel. If you're going to spend any more effort to jury rig a fix, you may as well get a new panel or subpanel. You can even paint JB Weld so it doesn't show up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back