Covering for cables?
Jun 3, 2006 at 11:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

gigit

100+ Head-Fier
I recently recabled my Grado SR-225s with some extra canare starquad i had sitting around (i use them portably and needed a smaller cable with a 1/8 connector and absolutley hated grados Y connector), which works well and all, but i was thinking of getting some braided silver wire to redo it with higher quality wire and was wondering how/with what i should cover the calbes with, im not sure really what my choices are so while trying to search for possible solutions i didn't come up with much.

Jun 3, 2006 at 11:35 PM Post #2 of 9
some shoe-laces can EASILY be taken apart. these work superbly, as they stop microphonics quite well.

after that there is the ever popular techflex. easy to use, and usually looks good. also available in many colors. picks up EVERY sound in the cable (and especically the 2 halves of the 2 rubbing) and takes it straight to your ears.

for more options, there is the oft missed "how to build a cable" thread, and the thread in which people post photos of cables which they have built. look around in there....

Jun 4, 2006 at 12:17 AM Post #3 of 9
If you just want to cover the bare (insulated) braided wire, then any kind of cable braid such as tech-flex should work fine. If you want to make it look more like a traditional cable, try using plastic hose, like you might use for a fishtank! You can cover that with the techflex too.

Jun 4, 2006 at 2:37 AM Post #5 of 9
So many techflexes, but I hear techflex is a bit stiff. Maybe try some heatshrink?

Jun 4, 2006 at 3:09 AM Post #6 of 9
thanks for the responces, i think the nylong covering and heatshrink is what im looking for, i have a lot of extra techflex from making interconnects and recabling random things, it looks nice to me but its way too stiff and microphonic

Jun 5, 2006 at 7:20 AM Post #8 of 9
Seldom do people mention pasta. Anyone in a 1st/2nd/4th world country has water, and a spritzer bottle is common too. It would seem simple enough to just wet down the cable before each use to maintain flexibility, and it is very environmentally friendly. How many times have you found that you had accidental kinks in your lasanga? Paste is immune to these kinds of problems. Crossover distortion? Unheard of with pasta! Silver plating or teflon? Completely ridiculous with pasta!
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif

Jun 5, 2006 at 4:33 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by mono
Seldom do people mention pasta. Anyone in a 1st/2nd/4th world country has water, and a spritzer bottle is common too. It would seem simple enough to just wet down the cable before each use to maintain flexibility, and it is very environmentally friendly. How many times have you found that you had accidental kinks in your lasanga? Paste is immune to these kinds of problems. Crossover distortion? Unheard of with pasta! Silver plating or teflon? Completely ridiculous with pasta!
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif

Yeah, but how about the shorting issue you face with pasta insulation? The stuff is just so tasty, whenever I have tried it, I end up eating all the insulation off my cable, and then the sound goes out. Because of this, I feel pasta is much more suited as a dielectric in a capacitor. Who here can honestly say they have ever heard a complaint that the dielectric coefficient of a good lasagna noodle, and its so easy to wrap with the foil of your choice. Add a bit of wheat gluten, and it becomes self healing even!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back