Cover art on iPod without getting files from iTunes?
Oct 7, 2008 at 8:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

steinba

100+ Head-Fier
I have a new iPod Classic on the way, and from what I understand, they're making a big thing out of this "Coverflow" feature. I have ripped, downloaded and otherwise aquired my rather substantial collection of music myself, and will probably never buy a single song from iTunes. So, I was wondering: What's the easiest/best way to get the cover art for my albums on to my ipod without buying it from iTunes? Surely there must be a way to get this working or free?

Also: Is the format of file and folder names very important for things to look good/right on the iPod? If so: How should it be arranged? Any quick fixes for that available as well?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Oct 7, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #2 of 13
You can search Google Images for album art, then copy/paste the picture into iTunes.
Or head over to Doug's AppleScripts, looking if you find a suitable script to automatize the process.

Oct 7, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #3 of 13
I'm finding that it's easier to find correctly sized album art on Amazon.com or (as a back-up) allmusic.com. With Google Images, there are almost too many choices, and some of them don't look quite right in iTunes.

Oct 7, 2008 at 9:01 PM Post #4 of 13
I'm using iTunes and I don't have to buy cover art. The album sits in my library, I right click on it and click "get cover art" and it gets the cover art. I haven't seen any charges on my card yet from iTunes, so hopefully it's free!

Oct 7, 2008 at 9:09 PM Post #5 of 13
If Itunes has the album you can get the cover art for free even if you didn't buy the music from Itunes. I think there's even an option to automatically get missing album art from itunes. I think you may need to register an itunes account though, can't remember for sure because I'm using J.River instead of itunes.

Oct 7, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #6 of 13
As long as you have an itunes account it will get your artwork for free. Of course, should you then click on buy they now have your payment details!

Oct 8, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #8 of 13
...or you can download covers from various websites like allcdcovers.com and cdcovers.cc

I prefer my Album art to be 500x500 and i'm really digging amazon allowing uploads of cover scans.

i've found though, a quick blast of photoshop is sometimes needed to resize and tidy things up.

Tag & Rename found at softpointer.com is a great way to get my tags right. I've had trouble with Media Monkey's tagging.

Nothing ruins a listen like the tag being all fubar'd.

I'm OCD like that.

Oct 8, 2008 at 11:15 AM Post #10 of 13
Oct 13, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #13 of 13
My sloth link has never failed me, I listen to some fairly unheard of bands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back