Couple quick questions from an amateur.
Jan 31, 2010 at 7:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

GMRghost

New Head-Fier
Hey Head-Fi-ers,

Being new to the audio world, my knowledge of equipment is very limited. I'm currently in need of some new headphones to replace my old Bose Quiet Comfort 2s. Browsing around, I've noticed a certain apathy for Bose and understand there are much better products out for cheaper. I'm looking to spend around $150-200 on a new set. I plan to use them for music, obviously, and gaming.

Are headphone amplifiers usually needed? Does it vary from set to set? What exactly do they do? What would be a good one for my price range?

Thanks a ton guys,
Justin
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Edit: Left some details out. I won't really bring them outside. Something large and bulky would be fine if they produce good sound quality. I listen to rock music, so whatever would be good for that. Being comfortable is a must.

Jan 31, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #4 of 10
Well, you're asking this in the portable audio forum so you're going to get a lot of in ear phones suggested to you. I would say get a pair of Grado sr125i and a basic amp. They're great for rock and good for the money.

Jan 31, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #6 of 10
Ask in both forums and see what you get. Maybe an IEM would be fine for you. Btw the Grados are over ear full size headphones.

Jan 31, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #7 of 10
Will do. Yeah, those Grados look really nice and they're right on price-point. Only thing: I'd prefer a full cup over my ear instead of something that just rests on top of my ear, if that makes sense.

Edit: Circumaural headphones is what I mean.
confused_face.gif

Jan 31, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by GMRghost /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will do. Yeah, those Grados look really nice and they're right on price-point. Only thing: I'd prefer a full cup over my ear instead of something that just rests on top of my ear, if that makes sense.

Edit: Circumaural headphones is what I mean.
confused_face.gif

Check out the Headphone Buyer's Guide in the full-size headphones forum, where some circumaurals/closed cans are recommended.

Also, take a look at Joker's review thread (only some of these are circumaural):
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/s...9-09-a-433318/

Jan 31, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #10 of 10
How much are you willing to spend? The Fiio E7 (E9 too I think) are coming in March or maybe a bit later, if you can wait (they'll be good budget amps hopefully). You might want to ask in the amp forums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back