Couple of newbie tube questions not answered by FAQ
Nov 30, 2005 at 9:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

sjt78

100+ Head-Fier
I have a tube amp, Optimized Earmax Pro (Morgan Jones), that takes 3 6DJ8 tubes. I have a couple of questions as this is my first tube amp. First is about tube rolling. Can someon walk me through the process of tube rolling? How long do you wait before taking the tubes out and installing the tubes you want to try next? How long do you let the tubes warm up before seriously listening to them? Is the on and off cycles of comparing tube rolling really bad for the tubes, or do people not worry about it? For example, in an evening is it ok to switch between sets of tubes multiple times, or should I allow the tubes to stay in the amp to "settle in" for a while before making comparisons? My second question involves a rattling/buzzing noise. I get a buzzing noise when I install one set of my tubes, but get no noise when the other set is installed. Is buzzing the sound of a faulty/dying tube? How does one get a tube tested locally? Or do I need to send the tubes out to an online tube vendor to be tested? Thanks in advance for your help.
-Steve

Nov 30, 2005 at 10:12 PM Post #2 of 2
I'll give a very brief reply as I know there are many bottleheads out there who can further enlighten you. The buzzing you hear is most likely the tube. It may be bad, it might settle down, but it probably should be replaced if you can.

I would not recommend tube rolling at the frequency you have described. Most people would say that new tubes take a number of hours before they settle in and sound at their best. Having said that, remember that tubes have limited life, soI would personally not recommend leaving them on all of the time. Yes, turning them on and off is not good for them as well. The compromise - turn them on when you plan to listen, and turn them off when you are done. For example, if you plan to listen all weekend long, turn them on Friday evening or Saturday morning, and turn them off Sunday night. Just do not turn them on and off many times in a short period of time.

Also, some tube sockets hold up better than others regarding tube rolls. Too much action and your socket and/or board might develop some cracks. Try and stick with some tubes for a few weeks so you get a chance to know them better. Some changes may be significant, some may be more subtle. Some may bring no change at all. Remember, its about listening to the music!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back