Country rock
Jan 13, 2005 at 2:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

gloco

Only one ban in 5000 attempts!
eek.gif

Hehe, i've been reading Hifi+ lately and came across two reviews that caught my interest in their contemporary section which led me to pick up:

Tift Merritt: Tambourine

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...music&n=507846

Theresa Andersson: Shine

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...004051-8252723

I find myself listening more and more to both albums back to back. Something about their style has caught my interest (a little country, some rock and some laid back soul to boot), anyone listening to anything similar? Besides the music the sound quality is superb and i cannot wait to take both cds to the HE2005 show in midtown for a spin in some high-end speaker rigs. I definitely advise anyone that's interested to listen to some samples on the links above!

-George

Jan 13, 2005 at 3:57 PM Post #2 of 13
Here are some suggestions, I'll only list albums I own by the artist:

Tim Easton (a Wilco prodigy, of sorts, "The Truth About Us", "Break Your Mother's Heart)
Early Wilco ("Being There" and "AM")
Drive-by Truckers (I only own "Decoration Day" but am eyeing "The Dirty South")
Califone (more exotic, but I can vouch for "Quicksand/Cradlesnakes")
Jim White (again exotic, has a lot of fire and brimstone type imagery, a good starter is "No Such Place")

I certain I'm forgetting some of my favorites.

Jan 13, 2005 at 9:04 PM Post #3 of 13
I'm going to see Tift Merritt next month.
biggrin.gif

Here are few you might try.

Allison Moorer. The cd Miss Fortune is good.

Garrison Starr is another one to try. A couple that I like: Eighteen Over Me and Songs From Takeoff To Landing.

Neko Case - Her cd Blacklisted is very good and so is her new one, The Tigers Have Spoken (it's a live recording).

Jan 14, 2005 at 2:10 AM Post #5 of 13
Very cool guys! I'll start looking into the artists y'all listed over the weekend.

mr_superlove, i'll definitely check out Drive-by Truckers, i've heard of them and a lot of people seem to like them a lot.

mojoman, you are a very lucky guy to catch her live, i'm really digging "tambourine," i hope she pays nyc a visit sometime soon.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 14, 2005 at 3:08 AM Post #6 of 13
gloco,

I can highly recommend the Drive By Truckers too. These three are all excellent: Southern Rock Opera, Decoration Day, The Dirty South. I don't really have a favorite of the three, they're all great. Catch 'em live if you get the chance. Their awesome!

Mr Superlove has some good recommendations. If you like Jim White, his new cd "Drill a Hole Thru That Substrate and Tell Me What You See" (yes that really is the title of the cd) is excellent. Califone is good too, I like their new one called "Heron King Blues"

I'm sure Tift will make it to NYC sometime soon. Right now she's touring the west coast.

Jan 14, 2005 at 3:17 AM Post #7 of 13
I'd think about Whiskeytown as well...Ryan Adams' old band. They really put the "alternative" in alternative country.
biggrin.gif

The suggestions for older Wilco are also good...I've been listening to Wilco's AM album quite a bit lately.

If you get a taste for real country, I'd suggest Alison Krauss' live album. Aside from being a pretty good mix of tunes, the sonics are stunning!! DISCLAIMER - I'm not typically a fan of country music, but this stuff just does something for me. She's very talented.

Jan 14, 2005 at 3:35 AM Post #8 of 13
Good call on Whiskeytown! They were a local band and we used to go see them in the bars. Fame and fortune stole them from the local scene but if was fun while it lasted.

Jan 14, 2005 at 3:36 AM Post #9 of 13
Many do not like his more recent albums but Ryan Adam's first solo album "Heartbreaker" is one of my fave albums of all time. It has both uptempo country rockers and some of the best ballads of recent years. Very very good stuff.

Jan 14, 2005 at 3:38 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by silentperfection
Many do not like his more recent albums but Ryan Adam's first solo album "Heartbreaker" is one of my fave albums of all time. It has both uptempo country rockers and some of the best ballads of recent years. Very very good stuff.

A very good album...I'm also a fan of Demolition. His most popular album, Gold, IMHO is OK...it's probably got the most country twang of all of them, though.

Jan 14, 2005 at 12:57 PM Post #12 of 13
Here are a couple more suggestions

The Gear Daddies - Lets Go Scare Al , Bill'y Live Bait and Can't Have Nothing Nice

And then try Martin Zellar (singer/songwriter of the Gear Daddies) - Born Under his first solo after the Gear Daddies

Jan 14, 2005 at 4:17 PM Post #13 of 13
You don't hear too much about it, but the new one from the band Richmond Fontaine was one of the best albums in 2004, regardless of genre. It's called Post To Wire and is very good. I think Uncut magazine gave it 5 stars and so did the http://www.americana-uk.com/html/april_2004.html site in their April review section (I'll post the review below). Both also named it top 5 of the year. Classic alt-country of the highest caliber. Been enjoying it a lot and listening to it again this morning for the I don't know how many times but I do know it's a lot. If you like this latter day Uncle Tupelo mixed with Whiskeytown kind of stuff, don't miss it. Here's the americana.uk review below (which coincidentally references one of my favorites: Silver Jews American Water). Check their Features section 2004 writeup for many more ideas.....

Dear Fact Fans......... Post to Wire is a Gamblers term used to describe a horse that leads a race from start finish. Secondly, 'Richmond Fontaine' is the name of a band, not a person ( file under R not F... didn't you learn from Pink Floyd, Lou Ford and Ben Folds!!). The real Fontaine was a down and out that bass player Dave Harding met while hitch- hiking through Mexico. So, those are the facts you can live without. But can you live without this record….. It is a kind of Americana concept album (hold it, don't log off just yet). The concept is loose, held together by small spoken word vignettes called Postcards, but it is there just the same. Walt is travelling round the vast American mid west having ripped off his best friend Pete of his money and his parents wedding rings. Post to Wire chronicles the characters Walt meets on his travels.. most of them no good, or up to no good, but all interesting none the less. The small interludes tracking Walt's own less than impressive progress in repaying his fiscal and emotional debts back home. I am not the first, nor will I be the last reviewer to draw the literary comparisons with song writer Willy Vlautin's work. If Ed Hammill is roots music's answer to Paul Auster, then Vlautin is our Denis Johnson, Richard Yates or Dan Fante. The depth of character within each song and his sense of place really is quite astounding…. And these are three minute pop songs remember, a much more limiting format than a whole novel. Having created the salubrious cast to this piece, 'Richmond Fontaine' then score their own movie with all the touchstones we hold dear to Americana; It can be full on Cow- punk, as in Montgomery Park, 'Two Broken Hearts' sounds like it was left off Strangers Almanac and 'Barely Losing' could be Silver Jews. The whole production has that organic, demo feel that really puts you in the room with them. If this is a novel, it was written on a type- writer, not one of them new fangled word processors. Post to Wire truly benefits from listening to in one sitting, with minimum distractions. If it has taken them ten years to deliver this record then it was worth the wait. They are booked to open up for Caitlin Cary at the Borderline on 5th May... See you there if you know what is good for you. The best piece of music I have heard this year, so far. -- Peter Gow

Users who are viewing this thread

Back