Counting Crows
Jul 10, 2002 at 1:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

YoNni22

100+ Head-Fier
I just purchased their new album. I'm pretty impressed with it. It ranks right up there with "August and Everything After". I own all of their albums except for "This Desert Life". Not as heavy as "Recovering the Satellites" and reminds me of their 1st album. If you are a Counting Crows fan, this album is a good investment.

Oh yeah...the name of the new album is "Hard Candy".

Jul 10, 2002 at 4:19 AM Post #3 of 10
The only Counting Crows song I am familiar with is Mr Jones. I really like that song. Is Mr Jones a good representation of Counting Crows? Or, is it not their usual style of song? If most of their work is similar I would buy an album.

don't bother answering
frown.gif

Jul 10, 2002 at 4:42 AM Post #4 of 10
This Desert Life is a better and more satisfying album than Recovering, IMO, and easy to find cheap used. It's a deeper album and more cohesive with fewer weak spopts than Recovering. However, August is still their best work. I'll have to check out the new one. My fear is that it's an attempt to "cross over" and is maybe artistically compromised to please the record company. Would you say it's more "pop-y" than the others? I've heard "American Girls" on the radio and while enjoyable i think it veers dangerously toward Tom Petty territory. (And I like TP OK, but that's not the point of counting Crows).

markl

Jul 10, 2002 at 11:39 AM Post #5 of 10
I don't think they are trying to cross over in this album. They sound like themselves. I have no complaints here.

Jul 10, 2002 at 1:02 PM Post #6 of 10
I don't want to start to fight, but I respectfully disagree about Recovering... In my opinion, it's the most listenable, solid album in their library. But to each his own. I'll pick up the new one today.

Jul 10, 2002 at 4:50 PM Post #7 of 10
Bought the album, listening to it right now.. So far, so good...
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW -- does your copy have weird rings on the CD? Maybe those mark the computer tracks -- I just hope there's not some copy protection scheme.

I finished listening... I'm impressed, I like it a lot. Of course I need a few more listens. I can see why you said it was of a return to the Augest style, but I don't think all that much. I would place it between August and Recovering -- it's just a bit heavier than August, and has the better musicianship (IMO) of Recovering. I enjoyed every song on the first listen through, which is a lot more than I could say for the last album.

Jul 11, 2002 at 12:52 AM Post #8 of 10
I also enjoyed every song on the first listen. That is the main reason why it reminded me of August. I ripped the cd into MP3s already so I dont think the rings are for cd protection.

Jul 11, 2002 at 1:39 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by YoNni22
I just purchased their new album. I'm pretty impressed with it. It ranks right up there with "August and Everything After". I own all of their albums except for "This Desert Life". Not as heavy as "Recovering the Satellites" and reminds me of their 1st album. If you are a Counting Crows fan, this album is a good investment.

Oh yeah...the name of the new album is "Hard Candy".

I heard some of the new one yesterday and it sounded wonderful and yes, it harkens back to their debut album. Recovering The Satellites had a lot of great songs, but I did find the production rather heavy handed at times.

Jul 11, 2002 at 2:43 PM Post #10 of 10
I liked August a lot.. My only real complaint is that it was a bit too minimalist for my tastes. If that's a criticism at all, it has certainly be resolved by their later albums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back