CounterStrike 1.6 headset/soundcard?:D
Nov 5, 2009 at 5:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

heyheykuk

New Head-Fier
Hi
smily_headphones1.gif
im looking for a high end headset for CS 1.6
smily_headphones1.gif

been looking on Ath-ad700,sennheiser hd595. beyerdynamic dt 770 pro (80,32ohm).

what i want is good 3d positional sound like if i hear footsteps i know more precise where they come from and that they pick up sounds further away.
would like answers from ppls that have tried more than just 1 of them

im open for suggestions, but they need to be in the same priceclass and over ear headphones
smile.gif

Soundcard: Xonar dx, auzentech x-plosion, auzentech x-raider.
any of them good?(good positional sound
biggrin.gif
)
suggest another card if they aint much more expensive
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 5, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #2 of 37
I would suggest the HD555 instead of the HD595. They use the same drivers and only difference is in the housing. I use my HD555 for Counter Strike Source and it sounds perfectly fine and clear. Very comfortable also, you can wear it for hours. My ears don't get sweaty either.

Nov 5, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #4 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by bogdan03ady /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Correct me if I'm wrong but the headphones and soundcard you suggested are not meant for gaming. If you want that, try the Razer Barracudas along with an X-fi sound card like Xtreme Gamer or, better, Titanium Fatality.

ive seen that but heard that razer headsets are ok headsets but pretty overpriced, and that hd595 ath-ad700 are better for the price

is the x-fi better? uve tried? also heard that creative x-fi aint good but theres other x-fi cards too. like auzentech

Nov 5, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #5 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrKazador /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would suggest the HD555 instead of the HD595. They use the same drivers and only difference is in the housing. I use my HD555 for Counter Strike Source and it sounds perfectly fine and clear. Very comfortable also, you can wear it for hours. My ears don't get sweaty either.

aah ok thanks, but whats housing? ;D sry for being a damn noob ;((
fine and clear? is the positional sound good?

Nov 5, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #6 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by bogdan03ady /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Correct me if I'm wrong but the headphones and soundcard you suggested are not meant for gaming. If you want that, try the Razer Barracudas along with an X-fi sound card like Xtreme Gamer or, better, Titanium Fatality.

I disagree. Headphones are headphones, and the fact of the matter is that by all accounts "gaming" headphones tend to be of lesser quality than "music" headphones. they tend to be more cheaply made, and in my opinion they're pretty gimmicky.

I have looked into "5.1 headphones" before and for every person who says how great they are, there's another person who has owned decent music headphones who says that the 5.1 headphones are junk. When you're upgrading from your crappy $20 headphones that came with your mp3 player, you'll be happy with anything... that's what a lot of the people are upgrading to the 5.1 headphones from anyway.

That aside, I have an X-Fi Xtremegamer and it works fine for me. You're playing CS1.6 though, so I'm not sure the xtremegamer is going to do anything for you that the other cards you mentioned wouldn't do. basically anything that can do EAX could do just as well as the xtremegamer. CS1.6 is running on the half-life engine which is at this point about 10 years old! they will all do positional audio about the same. you could go debate that on some counter-strike forums, but take it from me- I have a 4-digit SteamID
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 5, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #7 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by heyheykuk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
aah ok thanks, but whats housing? ;D sry for being a damn noob ;((
fine and clear? is the positional sound good?

the driver in the headphones is the speaker, it's the thing that makes the sound.
the housing is just what the headphones are made out of. different types of plastics, metals, etc. I had the HD595 and I played a lot of counter-strike with them, they worked great for me then. I now have HD580s which I picked up on these forums. I mostly play Left 4 Dead now and I have excellent positional audio, I can tell exactly where people are coming from. I am often accused of hacking because I can hear where the enemy is and shoot in that direction, killing them behind walls and around corners and all that :p But the Source engine is newer and has sound features that are built-in.

You can't go wrong with any card that has an x-fi chip or is x-fi compatible, and some comfy headphones. I love my Sennheisers for gaming, I use my Sennheisers for gaming all the time, every day. I play 40-50 hours per week, so I think you can trust my opinion on that.
biggrin.gif

Nov 5, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #8 of 37
For gaming you want a closed pair of phones. The DT770 is a good option! I heard the DT770 pro today and they sure sound great! Better than the 595s imo (have not heard the AD700).

Nov 5, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #9 of 37
I have used both closed and open 'phones for gaming, I don't think either one is better, not considering environmental factors. By that I mean, if I were at a LAN party or somewhere where I needed to block outside sound from coming in, then yeah I'd want closed headphones. If I'm just sitting at home in my room, and it's not really loud around me, it doesn't matter and I prefer my open 580s to my closed 280s. Actually, for long gaming sessions I prefer my open cans for comfort.

Nov 6, 2009 at 6:41 AM Post #10 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by meatwad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the driver in the headphones is the speaker, it's the thing that makes the sound.
the housing is just what the headphones are made out of. different types of plastics, metals, etc. I had the HD595 and I played a lot of counter-strike with them, they worked great for me then. I now have HD580s which I picked up on these forums. I mostly play Left 4 Dead now and I have excellent positional audio, I can tell exactly where people are coming from. I am often accused of hacking because I can hear where the enemy is and shoot in that direction, killing them behind walls and around corners and all that :p But the Source engine is newer and has sound features that are built-in.

You can't go wrong with any card that has an x-fi chip or is x-fi compatible, and some comfy headphones. I love my Sennheisers for gaming, I use my Sennheisers for gaming all the time, every day. I play 40-50 hours per week, so I think you can trust my opinion on that.
biggrin.gif

ok thanks, couldnt find hd580 in norway :O lame -.-
so ill think i get auzentech x-fi card
smily_headphones1.gif
heard that theire better than creative.
Tried asus xonar?

Nov 6, 2009 at 7:08 AM Post #11 of 37
Quote:

ok thanks, couldnt find hd580 in norway :O lame -.-
so ill think i get auzentech x-fi card
smily_headphones1.gif
heard that theire better than creative.
Tried asus xonar?

yeah, the HD580 is no longer in production, so I got it used from someone on the forums here. They are basically the little brother of the HD600. I'm sure you would be happy with the HD595 or HD555, like I mentioned I had the HD595 and they were my first nice pair of headphones, I can recommend them from personal experience! I haven't used the Xonar personally but they look like great cards that I'm sure you would be happy with.

Also since you're looking at a nicer pair of headphones, you should consider getting one of the sound cards that has a headphone amplifier built in, or purchasing an amplifier separately some time. I think pretty much anyone on Head-Fi wouldn't hesitate to tell you that your headphones will sound better with a dedicated amplifier. I did not have an amp when I was using my HD595 and I'm not saying they sound bad without one, but they could have sounded even better.

The Asus Xonar Essence STX, as well as the HT OMEGA Claro Halo come to mind as well-liked sound cards with basic X-Fi support and built-in headphone amps. But it might make more sense for you to just get whatever sound card and purchase an amp separately. That's what I'm doing :p

Nov 6, 2009 at 7:13 AM Post #12 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For gaming you want a closed pair of phones. The DT770 is a good option! I heard the DT770 pro today and they sure sound great! Better than the 595s imo (have not heard the AD700).

dont think i need closed headphones. im not that often on big lans. only like 2-3 times a year. but im often at lan at friends but theres usuallt quiet when we game so thats not a problem
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 6, 2009 at 11:00 AM Post #14 of 37
Quote:

dont think i need closed headphones. im not that often on big lans. only like 2-3 times a year. but im often at lan at friends but theres usuallt quiet when we game so thats not a problem
smily_headphones1.gif

OK, but even then. Consider the DT770 80ohms. They are great for gaming!

Nov 6, 2009 at 1:08 PM Post #15 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, but even then. Consider the DT770 80ohms. They are great for gaming!

ok thanks
smily_headphones1.gif
why are they great for gaming? can u hear sound far away from u like picking up weapons, steps, reloads etc. and is the audio positional sound good?
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back