Counter-top Stereo/CD players
Oct 9, 2007 at 3:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

afphreak

100+ Head-Fier
My Mother's venerable Sony CFD-20S is slowly starting to go out after 15(!) years, its an all in one CD/Cassette/Radio stereo with build-in speakers. i'm sure i can pop in there and fix the problems(the motor that moves the optical head is catching on its track, and sometimes the volume just drops down to nothing on its own), but i'd rather find her something nice to replace it with...
smily_headphones1.gif

Since She doesnt like overly complicated things, i've decided to rule out boomboxes with separate speakers, and am looking for a clean design... At first, i was looking at the Bose Wave Music System, but... eh.. you know?
blink.gif

are there actually any mid-fi/hi-fi counter-top stereos out there?
confused.gif

Oct 9, 2007 at 3:45 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by afphreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Mother's venerable Sony CFD-20S is slowly starting to go out after 15(!) years, its an all in one CD/Cassette/Radio stereo with build-in speakers. i'm sure i can pop in there and fix the problems(the motor that moves the optical head is catching on its track, and sometimes the volume just drops down to nothing on its own), but i'd rather find her something nice to replace it with...
smily_headphones1.gif

Since She doesnt like overly complicated things, i've decided to rule out boomboxes with separate speakers, and am looking for a clean design... At first, i was looking at the Bose Wave Music System, but... eh.. you know?
blink.gif

are there actually any mid-fi/hi-fi counter-top stereos out there?
confused.gif

I really like the sound from my Tivoli. I don't have a hi-fi system, only one of their AM/FM table radios. It's made of really nice walnut. Here are some of their hi-fi systems. I don't think any of them have a cassette player, though. And the bigger hi-fi systems are pretty pricey, but probably no more expensive than the Bose wave radio thingy.

Oct 9, 2007 at 5:24 PM Post #3 of 6
you also might like a cambridge 740 easy to use and sounds great
especially if you use the stereo wide mode and the bass that comes
out of the small size of this thing will surprise you also alot cheaper
than bose ,boston acoustic,polk and tivoli of comparable sound and size.
i use one of these for bedroom listening.

Oct 12, 2007 at 9:36 PM Post #6 of 6
For an all in one solution, I would get a Tivoli. I doubt they have them with a cassette built in, though.

I have a T-amp with some small speakers in my kitchen, but you would need a separate CD player and that may over-complicate things for her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back