Could you recommend me open-back headphones with a warmer sound signature?
Jan 23, 2019 at 11:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

KaiFi

500+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for open-back headphones that have a warmer sound signature. Doesn't need to be extremely so, not looking for bloated/muddy bass, but if there are headphones you consider to be warm/lush/smooth/musical, where the lows and mids are stronger than the highs, that would be great. I don't like harsh/piercing highs, don't care for anything considered "bright".

I know that closed-back headphones are often warmer, but I already have a good pair of closed-back headphones, so this time I'm looking for open-back. Preferably something not too hard to drive.

I can't afford anything over $800 or so right now. That would have to be my maximum.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2019 at 1:53 AM Post #2 of 11
I'm looking for open-back headphones that have a warmer sound signature. Doesn't need to be extremely so, not looking for bloated/muddy bass, but if there are headphones you consider to be warm/lush/smooth/musical, where the lows and mids are stronger than the highs, that would be great. I don't like harsh/piercing highs, don't care for anything considered "bright".

I know that closed-back headphones are often warmer, but I already have a good pair of closed-back headphones, so this time I'm looking for open-back. Preferably something not too hard to drive.

I can't afford anything over $800 or so right now. That would have to be my maximum.

I was about to mention the NightHawks - but then saw that you already have the NightOwls!
I have both, but honestly I would not recommend buying bothe, they are very similar, with the Owl being more puncha and the Hawk being a bit more natural, more open (soundstage) and having softer bass and treble.

You might look at the Sennheiser range, I think it was the HD650 that is considered the warm option.
ZMF also keeps getting recommended a lot

Jan 24, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #3 of 11

I know that closed-back headphones are often warmer, but I already have a good pair of closed-back headphones, so this time I'm looking for open-back.

Closed back isn't always "warmer," they just tend to be "bassier," which is not the same thing.

They can be bassier because of how more ambient noise is kept out by the closed cups while bass bounces around in there, but not warmer since the bass isn't the only thing that can bounce around inside that earcup. Without proper sound dampening you can end up with strong bass and strong treble.

Preferably something not too hard to drive.

Sennheier HD6XX plus a Darkvoice DV336se. Maybe buy some leather earpads for them too.

Alternately if you can spend on the amp separately there's the Audeze LCD-2C, then get the AudioGD NFB-11 to drive it.

Jan 24, 2019 at 11:32 AM Post #4 of 11
The HE-500s which I use tend to be considered slightly warm. They have a really wide soundstage with a notably punchy bass and exquisite mids that make it my daily. I got them for an absolute steal at $350, but you can for sure find one within your budget on the market. The stock cable I find to be oddly cheap feeling, the ones I got came with a nice replacement (Q audio French Silk).

Edit: forgot to mention that being planars, and having a metal headband, they are quite heavy. Many people have modded theirs for more comfort but personally I find them just fine stock and can wear them for extended periods of time with no discomfort.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #5 of 11
I was about to mention the NightHawks - but then saw that you already have the NightOwls!
I have both, but honestly I would not recommend buying bothe, they are very similar, with the Owl being more puncha and the Hawk being a bit more natural, more open (soundstage) and having softer bass and treble.

You might look at the Sennheiser range, I think it was the HD650 that is considered the warm option.
ZMF also keeps getting recommended a lot

I'm definitely interested in trying the Sennheiser 600 series. My only concern is that I'm going to have get a specific amp that can drive these since I know they're known for being hard to drive. But the sound signature sounds like what I'm looking for.

Closed back isn't always "warmer," they just tend to be "bassier," which is not the same thing.

They can be bassier because of how more ambient noise is kept out by the closed cups while bass bounces around in there, but not warmer since the bass isn't the only thing that can bounce around inside that earcup. Without proper sound dampening you can end up with strong bass and strong treble.

Sennheier HD6XX plus a Darkvoice DV336se. Maybe buy some leather earpads for them too.

Alternately if you can spend on the amp separately there's the Audeze LCD-2C, then get the AudioGD NFB-11 to drive it.

Definitely I don't want a "V-shape" sound signature. I see that a lot in headphone reviews and it's usually portrayed as a negative and I can see why. I don't think it would work well for classical either, which is most of what I listen to.

Audeze LCD-2 does also sound like what I'm looking for and I'm curious to see how planars differ from dynamics. At the top of the budget, but I won't rule it out.

The HE-500s which I use tend to be considered slightly warm. They have a really wide soundstage with a notably punchy bass and exquisite mids that make it my daily. I got them for an absolute steal at $350, but you can for sure find one within your budget on the market. The stock cable I find to be oddly cheap feeling, the ones I got came with a nice replacement (Q audio French Silk).

Edit: forgot to mention that being planars, and having a metal headband, they are quite heavy. Many people have modded theirs for more comfort but personally I find them just fine stock and can wear them for extended periods of time with no discomfort.

Yeah the heaviness of the HE-500 is a bit of a turn-off. Although I'm more picky about the "clamping" feeling than I am about weight.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #6 of 11
I would suggest keeping your eyes on the new ZMF Aeolus. Theyre slightly above your budget though. Perhaps look in the classifieds soon as theyve just began to be shipped. Occasionally ZMF sells B-Stock at a good discount.

Here is my review of them.

Jan 24, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #8 of 11
I had the Sennheiser HD 598/599 and liked the sound a lot. If I liked the 598/599 and also prefer a warmer sound, do you think I would like the 650 (or any 600 series)?

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2019 at 9:50 PM Post #9 of 11
I would suggest keeping your eyes on the new ZMF Aeolus. Theyre slightly above your budget though. Perhaps look in the classifieds soon as theyve just began to be shipped. Occasionally ZMF sells B-Stock at a good discount.

Here is my review of them.

So sexy!

Jan 25, 2019 at 8:32 PM Post #11 of 11
These:

i-cmcfKV6-X4.jpg

Porta Pro + Yaxi pads... less than $50 yet one of the most musical things you can listen to with great subbass impact, midbass punch, very forward mids yet relaxed highs, and one of the most non-fatiguing headphones. They absolutely disappear on your head and are much more comfortable than Sennheiser 6-series headphones.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back