Could you live with a 48Khz DAC?
Jun 29, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #31 of 44
LC7816 ? According to the datasheet it's made by Sanyo and is a 2 pole - 4 function analog switch. Here's a link to that datatsheet http://pdf1.alldatasheet.net/datasheet-pdf/view/40969/SANYO/LC7816.html

I guess the DAC chips are located on the underside of the pcb since I can't really see anything else on that side that fits the bill other than the lone IC by itself. The PB and REC connections are the playback (PB) and Record outputs (REC) loops. PB is hooked up to your tape decks output jacks and the REC jacks are connected to your Tape input jacks IIRC. The digital loop is likely for a DAT machine.

I missed the link to the pics but caught it a second time around. This unit uses 4 x PCM56PK (K grade rating is the best spec) DAC chips !!!!...this is a terrific chip and should be an excellent performer for red book ! That is a definite bargain and a great pickup for the money spent.

Peete.

Jun 29, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #33 of 44
I've been using my Keces 151 now for nearly a year and I prefer over all the other dacs I've heard and it's "only" outputs at 16/44.1 

sounds terrific

I don't think I have any files that take advantage of the higher outputs plus when I ran my files in the other dacs through optical at 24/96, I still didn't hear that much of a difference.

Jul 1, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #35 of 44

Quote:
L
I missed the link to the pics but caught it a second time around. This unit uses 4 x PCM56PK (K grade rating is the best spec) DAC chips !!!!...this is a terrific chip and should be an excellent performer for red book ! That is a definite bargain and a great pickup for the money spent.

Glad to hear it. I'm certainly pleased as punch with this unit. The DAC compares very well to my DACMagic and in many ways surpasses it. Only the usefulness of the built-in filters give the DacMagic the edge.

In practical terms, what would you say the differences are between the PCM63K and PCM56PK chips?

Probably my biggest issue so far with the DAP-5500 is just the sheer number of ways to connect and output a signal. I keep forgetting what's hooked up to what.
It's worth noting that the DAP-5500 in those pics is the rare twin power cord version with totally separated power supplies. I think it was only ever available in the Japanese market. I want one.

There's currently a used DAP-500 on Ebay at a pretty good price. I've seen these things going for as high as $800.

Jul 1, 2010 at 11:46 PM Post #36 of 44

Quote:
Glad to hear it. I'm certainly pleased as punch with this unit. The DAC compares very well to my DACMagic and in many ways surpasses it. Only the usefulness of the built-in filters give the DacMagic the edge.

In practical terms, what would you say the differences are between the PCM63K and PCM56PK chips?

Probably my biggest issue so far with the DAP-5500 is just the sheer number of ways to connect and output a signal. I keep forgetting what's hooked up to what.
It's worth noting that the DAP-5500 in those pics is the rare twin power cord version with totally separated power supplies. I think it was only ever available in the Japanese market. I want one.

There's currently a used DAP-500 on Ebay at a pretty good price. I've seen these things going for as high as $800.

The 63P-K is 20 bit vs the 56PK being 16 bit. The 63 can over sample at 16X while the 56 can only handle 8X. They are both mono chips and constructed the same way (R2R IIRC) Some other notable updates to the 63 ( vs the 56 series ) is a better SNR/THD rating (-94 db vs - 108db) and the biggest difference being the 63 series uses dual dac sections vs the singular 56 series. I hope that helped a bit.

The 63 is a better chip (it should be since the 63 came a few years after the 56) but the 56 is no slouch compared to it SQ wise.

Here are the data sheet links for you to have a look at.... 

PCM56P-K   http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheets_pdf/P/C/M/5/PCM56P-K.shtml

PCM63PK    http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheets_pdf/P/C/M/6/PCM63P-K.shtml

I would think the DAP 5500 would blow away the DAC Magic in a few significant instances (massed strings and piano should sound noticeably more lifelike and correct with the older BB chips, much like the current production R2R ladder chip, the pcm1704UK is superior to the sigma delta types in this respect).

That being said the DAC Magic is very decent performer for what it costs (feature rich for sure). As for having various controls to fiddle with I soon get tired of such things and find the setting that sounds the best and leave it there (with the RE1 you can change a number of parameters via dip switches on the DSP1 board).

If you have any trouble figuring out how to efficiently route your gear through the DAP-5500 I can help you out with that.

Peete.

Jul 2, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #37 of 44
One thought that continually comes to mind is that this baby is the only component I've ever owned whose ass was infinitely prettier than her face.
:)

Jul 2, 2010 at 1:01 PM Post #39 of 44
So why the hell are we all buying new DACs?

Jul 3, 2010 at 2:20 AM Post #40 of 44

Quote:
So why the hell are we all buying new DACs?

I'm one of those people that don't believe DACs are very important in the chain of good sound.  Don't get me wrong, a bad source will mess up everything, but you don't have to spend a fortune to have a nice DAC and I kind of think the perceived benefits of 24/192 or 24/96 is blown out of proportion, but I bet there are plenty of people that will disagree with me, so be it.

Jul 3, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #41 of 44

Quote:
One thought that continually comes to mind is that this baby is the only component I've ever owned whose ass was infinitely prettier than her face.
:)

LOL
beerchug.gif

Peete.

Aug 29, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #42 of 44
The vintage Knob has updated their DAP-5500 page with some schematics and info on the D/A converters.

Oct 18, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #43 of 44
Audiogon has a great deal on a clean Denon DAP-5500. It's worth the price for the DAC out alone if you ask me.

Feb 21, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #44 of 44

somestranger26 said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes, since I don't notice any difference between 44.1khz and 96khz content, and upsampled 44.1khz just sounds more harsh and digital to me. Anything I listen to with regularity is also either 44.1khz (music) or 48khz (movies)

I understand this part, Many thanks to your description! It helps me out of the problem, It's good for reference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back