Could use some help with fixing my Fischer Audio DBA-02 mkII
Feb 8, 2015 at 6:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

TijmenK

New Head-Fier
My Fischer Audio DBA-02 mkII died again a while back, the right side is just fine but the left isn't doing anything. I had my first pair replaced under warranty with the same problem but the second pair died just a couple weeks out of warranty. At first they were willing to fix it, but now they're not replying to my e-mails anymore. I'm not too fussed because I lost most of my confidence in their quality and service a while back anyway, and apart from sounding great I didn't like them that much. 

So now I have a pair of broken IEMs that won't fix themselves gathering dust, I figured I could have a crack at it myself. I don't have any experience with any of this, so it's mostly a research mission without any hopes of actually fixing anything. My logic is that they're all passive components without too much risk of breaking, leaving a connection of some sorts to be the culprit. The plan is opening them up, having a good look at anything and, unless I see a clear problem, recabling them with cat5 cable and see if that fixes it.

Now I didn't start this thread to just document my heroic efforts, it's because I know nothing about any of this. I have two questions at the moment:

1. What would be the best way to open them up? Blast them with a hair-dryer and see if that will melt the glue? Attack them with a scalpel to the seam? 

2. What should I be looking for once I'm inside? Will it be obvious something is broken? Can I test something with a multi-meter?

Thanks in advance!

Feb 8, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #2 of 2
Not sure why I didn't think of this before but I just put a multi-meter to the plug and got some readings. Nothing earth shattering or conclusive, but I sure felt smart. Only got continuity from the ring to the sleeve, no continuity on the sleeve to the tip, nor on the tip to the ring (duh). Resistance on ring to the sleeve is about 27 ohm, and none measured on sleeve to the tip.

Would a broken driver still connect the two but with an abnormally high or low resistance or would the connections be burned / molten / whatever? If the first is the case I would only have to replace the cable, if it's the latter it's a write-off, correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back