Could use some amp recommendations for 3 headphones
Jan 14, 2016 at 6:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

MDPD

New Head-Fier
I have the following headphones:
Sennheiser HD518
Takstar Pro 80
AKG K7xx

I find that plugging straight into my receiver is no good. The Takstars sound just barely ok, but the other two cans sound horrible plugged into the receiver.

So I know I need an amp. I am looking for a good all around amp that well match up nicely with all three headphones,whichever I choose to use at any moment. I have read that the AKGs prefer tubes and this or that one prefer this or that amp, but I do not want to deal with that. I just want one Non-portable amp.
My budget is $100 to $200. I might be able to stretch a little, if it is something truly special. I don't care what size it is as long as it's not portable.
Right now I am leaning towards the Schiit Magni (tiny as it is), but I wonder if it will sound good with all three headphones? I'm definitely open to more suggestions.

Thank you

Jan 15, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #2 of 5
Ok, I guess my choices are:
1) The Schiit Magni taking a chance it will improve all three cans I have
or
2) Forget it and throw the cans in the can. (No point in having them if they don't work).

I'm leaning a little more towards #1, but a little concerned I could be wasting $100. I think I may find that it will not be wasted money though.

Jan 16, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #3 of 5
Have you thought about one of the garage1217 amps?  

Their Project Polaris is a state amp that is supposed to have a tube like sound for $250 U.S built, $215US for the DIY kit.

They also have a number of tube amps. I believe all their amps are built in the U.S. as well.  For a tube amp the Project Ember seems to get a lot of love, but it is $350 for the built version and $300 for the DIY version.

Also do you already have a DAC, what will your source be to the amp?

Jan 17, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #4 of 5
  Have you thought about one of the garage1217 amps?  

Their Project Polaris is a state amp that is supposed to have a tube like sound for $250 U.S built, $215US for the DIY kit.

They also have a number of tube amps. I believe all their amps are built in the U.S. as well.  For a tube amp the Project Ember seems to get a lot of love, but it is $350 for the built version and $300 for the DIY version.

Also do you already have a DAC, what will your source be to the amp?

I've never heard of Garage Amps until now. That said though, I'm not necessarily looking for tube sound. I'm more concerned about the amp bringing benefit to all three of my cans. I don't want a different amp for each headphone. That Project Polaris amp seems interesting, but I don't like places that hide behind email, have wonky websites and have no customer service, so I need to look elsewhere.

I do not have a DAC because I do not need one. I listen to vinyl and CD and the CD player has a dac as does my receiver. (I like the one in my CD player better. The dac set in my receiver was not implemented well).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back