Could use help choosing <$100 over-ear headphones for electronic music/gaming. I have 681 EVOs
Oct 9, 2013 at 5:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Frump

New Head-Fier
Hi guys. First post here, so I apologize in advance for any cluelessness.

I've used cheap in-ears for the past decade. My last set, Sennheiser cx200s, finally died and I'm ready to try something different. Portability is no longer a necessity for me, and having never owned a decent pair, I'm looking to try some cheap, entry level over-ears. I mostly listen to electronic music, including ambient, d&b, trance, house, chiptunes and hardcore edm (the latter where some decent bass is appreciated) so having cans well suited to some of those genres is important for me. These will be used just for fun, mostly enjoying music and playing video games. I don't have much anything in terms of a high end audio setup, so knowing how the headphones sound by themselves without an amp or external card (say, a phone) is also pretty good to know.

I'd also like to mention I recently purchased a set of Superlux Hd681 EVOs, and while I'm more than happy with the sound quality, they feel a bit dependent on equalization which might not always be an option depending on where I'm using them. It feels like they're not "fun" enough for my music out of the box. I have very little headphone experience, but to me they sound a bit neutral, perhaps not entirely meant for casual listening. I'm not exactly what you'd call a basshead, but I can't help shake the feeling that there could be a tad more. Is the reliance on the equalizer expected for these headphones? Maybe they need burn in? Maybe I just have to get used to them? The awesome velour pads they came with made them feel high value, though.

I've been looking at some other budget cans mentioned around here, like the MonoPrice 8323, JVC HAS400, Koss, and countless others I can't remember off the top of my head. I don't have a need for closed headphones, but I hear the resonance they cause can give a perception of more bass at the cost of muddying sound. Again, the sound on my semi-open EVOs is lovely, but I just can't get the nagging thought out of my head that there's cans out there better suited for my tastes. What do you guys think? Any suggestions for somebody like me? Should I just relax and keep the EVOs?

Sorry for the long post!

Oct 9, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #2 of 7
I'm assuming this audio setup is a Win PC?
What sources do you plug your headphones into?

Oct 9, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #3 of 7
Yeah. A decent sounding desktop running xp (plugged into the back) and a win7 laptop that has some underwhelming audio. I also use them with my tablet and phone.

Not sure if I have the extra cash at the moment for an amp and such. Maybe next paycheck.

Oct 10, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #4 of 7
  Yeah. A decent sounding desktop running Win XP (plugged into the back) and a Win 7 laptop that has some underwhelming audio. I also use them with my tablet and phone.

Not sure if I have the extra cash at the moment for an amp and such. Maybe next paycheck.

For the PC, you can get an Asus Xonar DG (PCI) sound card, $26 and there is a $10 mail in rebate.
The DG should improve audio quality any headphones used with the PC.

You could try an ELE El-D02 USB/DAC/Amp, it's only $20, ships from Asia (eBay), should work with the Win XP and Win 7 laptop, maybe it might(?) also work with the tablet.

Hopefully hours and hours of burn in time will improve the HD-681 EVOs.

Oct 10, 2013 at 5:16 AM Post #5 of 7

For the PC, you can get an Asus Xonar DG (PCI) sound card, $26 and there is a $10 mail in rebate.
The DG should improve audio quality any headphones used with the PC.

You could try an ELE El-D02 USB/DAC/Amp, it's only $20, ships from Asia (eBay), should work with the Win XP and Win 7 laptop, maybe it might(?) also work with the tablet.

Hopefully hours and hours of burn in time will improve the HD-681 EVOs.

Thank you, that's extremely helpful! I didn't think I could find basic stuff for so cheap, I'll be sure to look into these.

Hopefully I'm just being neurotic about the EVOs, since I really do like them. I suppose I'm curious of the sound signatures some other entry level cans have.

Oct 25, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #6 of 7
Bumping this since I'm wondering if anybody has experience with both the Superlux 681 EVOs and JVC HA-S400 / HA-S500. Considering my taste in music, which ones might fit me better?

Oct 25, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #7 of 7
I think the JVC s500's are perfect for you if you're okay with on ear. EDM sounds great on them imo. The only way I can describe them is a powerful sound with perfect highs mids lows proportions. It has what I call "vibrating" bass rather than boomy bass which is not fatiguing.  I haven't had the 681 evo's but I had the regular 681's and to me they were all about clarity and soundstage that was surprisingly good so you'll lose some of that moving to the s500's. The 681's were too screechy with the highs for long listening for me. That's just my experience with those two. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back