Could These Be Sennheiser HD580/600/650 Phone Connectors!?
Jul 20, 2007 at 12:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

firefox360

500+ Head-Fier
I was just reading the Westone 3 thread, when I came about a link to a company called "Plastics One" that makes the cables for Westone IEMs, Etymotics IEMs, and the LiveWires IEMs. I checked the site out and was messing around with their "Build a cable" page, when I came across some of the connectors that they provide, and stumbled upon this particular connector:

7.jpg

http://www.plastics1.com/CCS//Item.php?item=321

This connector looks pretty similar to the earlier HD580/600 connectors that have been so sought after by DIY'ers. They come in 12 different colours, and here is one in black:

7gr2.jpg

This connector is polarized (hence one pin is larger than the other).

Not sure if this info is of any use to anyone. The connectors are molded along with the cable, however in their "Build your own cable" section, there are options to supply your own cable.

Sorry if this has been posted before.

Jul 20, 2007 at 12:20 AM Post #2 of 6
Unfortunately, the pins may be a bit small. They seem to be the same type as those found on the ER-4Ps. Here is a comparison pic, although it may be hard to see the difference. The difference in pin diameter, however, is apparent when in hand. Whether these are equivalent to those you have found, I am unsure.

DSC_3117sm.jpg

Jul 20, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #4 of 6
I've had excellent results with the method of melting the pins out of an old cable, and threading the new cable through to solder the pins in and glue the pins back into the connector. Looks great, no heatshrink.

I think that's the best looking method until somebody makes DIY connectors...

Jul 20, 2007 at 2:52 AM Post #5 of 6
Do they custom make these? Would it be possible to just tell them the diameter of the pins we need and have them make them? Would that work?

I emailed them.

Jul 20, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by kyleisgreat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do they custom make these? Would it be possible to just tell them the diameter of the pins we need and have them make them? Would that work?

I emailed them.

Unfortunately, its not that simple, there are a lot of start up costs that go into manufacturing such an item. The tooling and the equipment would have to be customized. Its just not feasible for them to sell a custom made product in small amounts, they'd want to sell you thousands of them.

The plastic mold itself can cost thousands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back