Could someone please describe how the Ultrasone HFI-2200 sounds?
Dec 20, 2008 at 3:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

i_don't_know

1000+ Head-Fier
I like something that is very fun to listen to (deep punchy bass, soundstage, rich and full sounding, etc.), and I hate harsh highs, sibilance, and a fatiguing sound (my ears are very sensitive to those sorts of things).

So, could someone that owns or has heard these please describe to me how they sound? And if there is anything that would suit me better for the price, I will take suggestions. I love the look of the 2200, though.
beyersmile.png

And can these be fully driven unamped, straight from the headphone jack of a DAP (Sony S639F)? This is very important to me, because I never plan on spending money on an amp, unless it's just a cheapo Fiio E5 or something.

Thank you so much. It's between these or the Sennheiser IE8 for $300, or the Shure SCL4 for $80 (or whatever suggestions might pop up that I'm actually interested in). From what I've read so far from Google, these seem fantastic, but I thought I'd ask you guys before cutting down on spending to save up for these.

Dec 20, 2008 at 4:30 AM Post #2 of 12
I know someone must have something to say.

Is Head-Fi really void of HFI-2200 owners, or even people that have just heard them?

Dec 20, 2008 at 4:51 AM Post #4 of 12
Okay.

One more thing I forgot, though. The music I listen to. I listen to a lot of Oasis, Muse, Devendra Banhart, Andrew Gorny, Jack Johnson, and Matthew Santos. I'm kind of an Oasis addict right now, though, so that's what I'm listening to the most.

My sound signature preference still stands, though (in other words, don't let my music preference influence suggestions of a different sound signature you think I might enjoy. it's okay to use it in conjunction with what I already described to get a better idea of what I'm looking for, but please keep it to the general sound signature I described in the first post).

Dec 20, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #5 of 12
Anyone?

Dec 20, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #6 of 12
Hey IDK

Just caught this thread now. The HFI-2200 has to be the least talked about phone here. I had to PM a member to describe it's qualities before I purchased them...I love them. They are balanced across the spectrum while still retaining the Ultrasone bass. Soundstage is big. Fit is comfortable.

I guess since they are "labeled" movie phones in several places, a lot of people don't give them a shot. I have yet to watch a movie with them.

In reference to no amp- when I burn my phones in I plug them into a PCDP. They do sound fine, however, an amp makes them shine. They are 75ohm.

Hope this helps...

Dec 20, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #7 of 12
HeatFan, thank you for replying! I'm a bit skeptical on these, though, because I recently found this review that says they are not very good for $300. I'm going to keep looking, but these are still on my list. I made another thread to alleviate the search, if you'd like to check it out.

Dec 20, 2008 at 10:50 PM Post #8 of 12
Rare to see a thread with this title.

Strange that they are at least cost wise top of the hfi ultrasone range but dont get much coverage. They were my first head-fi phones and i still use them for travel and portable listening. Theyre not bad, bass is very good but i'm a bit spoilt with the electrostatics.

I do however remember that they blew me away when i first got them i'd never though music through headphones could sound that good i think there is a thread in here somewhere with a little review I wrote.

I've just had a little listen to them playing a bit of jack johnson and the sound stage isn't that open or airy but the bass is still good if not a bit flabby on comparison with my main phones.

They are a good headphone it's a shame more peeps haven't given them a try.

Dec 21, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #10 of 12
A good sounding pair of phones. Good bass, solid mids, but to my ears, bright in the highs when the volume is turned up. Because of that, they get little listening time and will end up for sale eventually. Sound great at lower listening levels.

Dec 23, 2008 at 1:10 PM Post #12 of 12
The edition 9 looks to me like a hybrid of the pro 2500 and the 2200ule - the drive is similar to the 2500 at least specification wise the pro has 40ohm impedence whereas the ed9 has 30ohm. I haven't heard the ed 9 although i would love to but you can't go on numbers alone. If its in your price range you could do a lot worse than the 2200. The looks aren't everyone's cup of tea and I find that the headband gets very uncomfortable due to lack of padding in the very small pad on the top. Also the cable if far to long and gets in the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back