Could somebody validate the accuracy of this review (inside)?
Jan 14, 2008 at 6:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Iamgag7

New Head-Fier
review from:

Buy Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphones online at Musician's Friend

"I've read a lot of good things about the Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones. They are supposedly very accurate throughout the frequency spectrum with "no little white lies" according to their advertising. Nothing could be further from the truth. There is SO much 200 Hz bass emphasis it's ridiculous. The bottom end is positively portly. The high end is muffled and doesn't sound anywhere near the claimed 28 kHz. All in all, I was very disappointed in these headphones and returned mine. Save some money and get the Sennheiser HD280's."

from a reviewer who claims to be a recording engineer/musician.

From what I know, I've read you can't even hear past 16 Khz or so? so why would he claim that it doesn't SOUND anywhere near 28kHz? how can something sound 28khz if the music probably didn't have anything up to that range? just my speculation.

also... from what i hear, the HD280 lacks bass in low frequencies..so its obvious that if you jump to a phone that has relatively flat EQ or slightly bumped EQ in the lower frequencies..he would assume its Overdone, right?

also... it could also be he is a HD280 fanboy or didn't give the ATH-m50 time to burn in?

what do you all think?

Jan 15, 2008 at 12:32 AM Post #3 of 5
Some people have hearing up to 22KHz, but 20KHz is generally considered the normal range of human hearing, and that is with young, pristine ears. It's highly doubtful that many people who listen to headphones still have that kind of hearing left.

May 7, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #4 of 5
The ATH-M50 have lots of bass and all kinds of it. Deep bass, low-bass, mid-bass are there with full strength. They indeed sound like there is a hump around 100Hz ~ 200 Hz and the mids seemed quite scooped, while the treble sparkled a lot. I'd say the HD280 sounds more accurate, despite it's weirdness in the mids.

May 8, 2008 at 5:36 AM Post #5 of 5
This is a kind of old thread... but since it got revived, I'd like to answer the OP for the record, in case it gets searched again.

The person who reviewed the M50 in the link from the OP later revised his opinion and posted his opinion here on Amazon.

I just got some M50's and am still not sure what to make of them overall. They are fairly bassy, but whether it's a problem or not really depends on the way the music is mixed. Well recorded acoustic and classical music comes across better balanced; electric bass can be overbearing, especially if it's mixed forward already.

Bass goes very deep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back