Could my Fiio X3ii hurt my Beyer T5Pii's?
Jan 21, 2018 at 5:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Matty87

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I hope everyone is swell.

In short, I am wondering if my Fiio X3 second gen could damage my Beyer T5p 2nd gens?

Reason I'm now curious about this is because the other day when I was switching between headphones on the X3 and left the volume at 105 / 120 at high gain (+ 9.2dB) when i plugged in the T5P's and played for approximately 6 or 7 seconds (it was very loud, and at a loud moment in the song too). They were plugged directly into the headphones out at the time, no extra amping.

I wouldn't usually be worried (and I can't seem to hear a difference in the headphones) but are my X3's capable of hurting the Beyers? What makes me nervous is the Beyers only have a power handling capacity of 300mW (also a max sound pressure level of 126dB, 32ohms).

I am having trouble understanding the Fiio X3ii specs. I am trying to figure out what output they may have been at when this happened... Output specs for 32ohms Fiio state: > 200mW (THD+N <1%).

All I understand there is that the Fiio is capable of delivering more than 200mW (unless I am severely mistaken). really do no have experience in DAP specs.

Does anyone here know the max Fiio output and from this the likelihood of them damaging my T5P drivers? Its the T5P max capacity of 300mW that has me concerned. I want to know not just because of what happened but for future reference as well.

Cheers for the help.

Matt

Jan 21, 2018 at 5:51 AM Post #2 of 4
No it can't hurt the headphones. The X3ii (I have one) will only put 200 mW into a 32 ohm load, and thats well under Beyerdynamics stated limits. The 126 dB they've stated is the loudness of a signal at 500 Hz if the full 300 mW was deployed.

Don't worry about it - they are designed to operate with the odd mishap. Probably more important that they weren't on your ears at the time :wink:

Jan 21, 2018 at 6:17 AM Post #3 of 4
No it can't hurt the headphones. The X3ii (I have one) will only put 200 mW into a 32 ohm load, and thats well under Beyerdynamics stated limits. The 126 dB they've stated is the loudness of a signal at 500 Hz if the full 300 mW was deployed.

Don't worry about it - they are designed to operate with the odd mishap. Probably more important that they weren't on your ears at the time :wink:

Thanks so much for the reply, that has made me understand more :)

Yeah as soon as I head the level of noise the first thing I did was remove them from my head - that's why they ended up playing at that volume for a few seconds. i already have tinnitus due to chemical exposure so I am very sensitive about contributing further damage to make it worse than it is.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #4 of 4
Ah - I feel for you. I have permanent tinnitus from a single event. Have had to live with it for the last 15 years or so. Not fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back