Could my amp be picking up radio static?
Mar 19, 2010 at 3:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

1000+ Head-Fier
Static+something that could be a voice is quietly audible since I plugged my Audio Technica ATH-AD2000 into my Little Dot MK VII.
It could just be static, but I was wondering if anyone else has got radio on their amp before.
It's only on the left.

Mar 19, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #2 of 8
It happens with my heedcanamp with lo impedance phones. K 701, K 271 and you can practically listen to the radio with Grados when the volume pot of the amp is on 0 gain till 3o´clock. I don´t know why you hear the RFI on only on the left channel though. Could resolve most of the issue with a ferrite core attached near the stereo jack of the headphone´s cable. Hope it helps

Mar 19, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #4 of 8
I don't know if it's the same thing but...

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/tub...up-emi-478492/

Gently rest your finger on the left channel driver tube, see if the sound goes away.

Be careful depending on how hot it is. Or other reasons this might be a bad idea that I'm not aware of (finger oil on hot glass is never good). It should tell you pretty quick if the tube is picking up EMI.

Mar 19, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #8 of 8
No, I don´t think so (..but don´t quote me on this).
Try to get a ferrite clip in a size that is as close as possible to the diameter of the cable of your ATH-AD2000. If it fits loosely on the cable, loop the cable one or more times around one of the ferrite clip to anchor it before closing it.
Good luck
darthsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back