Could I use a DVD player as an improvised Hi-Fi CD player?
Mar 4, 2013 at 5:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

kingcrimson69

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone!

I'm about to finish my home setup with a JVC QL-A5 Direct Drive turntable, a Pioneer amp (not sure which yet), my PC (which will be connected to the amp), and the Beyer DT 880 Pro 250 Ohm headphones (I'll probably buy speakers later on). Apart from my small vinyl collection, I have tons of CDs and I'm not planning on spending more money on a CD player because of my PC, but because of the terrible Intel integrated DAC, CDs will sound horrible. So I noticed that I have a nice DVD player than nobody uses (it has HDMI, to prove that is relatively new) and I was wondering if DVD players could deliver decent sound with a CD as a source, using the RCA audio output into the amp and then into my headphones.

Regards!!!

Mar 4, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #2 of 4
People have been doing this for years with pretty good success.  As many will mention DAC performance is primarily about jitter as long as the DAC is capable of the desired sample and bit rates.

Mar 5, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #3 of 4
DVD and Blu-Ray players make excellent CD and SACD (though SACD is only supported by certain Blu-Ray players) players. I listened to CD's through my DVD player for ages with excellent results. At my home I have a Blu-Ray player connected to a Receiver via HDMI and the sound quality is far better than the flac files I have sitting on my computer.

Mar 5, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
DVD and Blu-Ray players make excellent CD and SACD (though SACD is only supported by certain Blu-Ray players) players. I listened to CD's through my DVD player for ages with excellent results. At my home I have a Blu-Ray player connected to a Receiver via HDMI and the sound quality is far better than the flac files I have sitting on my computer.

Thanks for the help! Right now I'm testing my setup with a Stromberg DVD player and a Nikko STA 7070 vintage amp and it sounds incredible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back