Could anyone who remembers some pre-calculus please help me?
Feb 9, 2005 at 2:39 AM Post #16 of 20
Got it...

so B and b are given

you have this:

sin(17)/10 = Sin(A)/a = Sin(B)/19

you can bring 19 over to find to the left

so u got the left hand side = sin(B)
now just evaluate that, and thats = to Sin(B) so take the arcsin
u got B

A will be whatever degrees you have left. You can play with those values
and get similar triangles as long as they agree with equality above. Sorry i made this overly complicated at first : /

Feb 9, 2005 at 2:39 AM Post #17 of 20
I don't mind if you they don't allow us to use cal or not. By now I used to doing Cal without any cal and it has never been a problem to me. Problem comes when they give us to solve 12 problems within 50 minutes. I know in University I am supposed to be fast and be able to do such things within time limit. Its just happened that this time I was able to complete the test 3 minutes before my instrutor called time. In a class of 60, four were able to complete the test on time. I did ok but the instructor ended up giving 10 points to everyone cuz he realized that he made the test too freaking long. About Series & Sequences, well we had that in high school but I never paid any attention to that and because of that I will have to start from ground zero.

Feb 9, 2005 at 2:41 AM Post #18 of 20
i hate to say it, but with series and sequence stuff, you either know it or you dont.

Thats why i think calc 2 was all about memorization. Most of calculus is mechanical, no thinking if you memorized how to do something. My school is the same way, that's why they grade on the curve.

Feb 9, 2005 at 3:41 AM Post #19 of 20
Man, any of you guys that get to use calculators, open books, or notebooks on exams have it easy. There are very few classes in the math department in my school where you can use a calculator, and virturally none of them allow notes or open books. I went through Calc 1, 2 and 3 without a calculator. Right now I am in Diff Eq and Linear Algebra and we cannot use calculators in either of those classes on exams. Luckily for me I think Diff Eq is easier than both Calc 1 and Calc 2 (most people I talk to have the extreme opposite feelings). Linear Algebra is somewhat easy but EXTREMELY tedious.

Feb 9, 2005 at 5:07 AM Post #20 of 20
hah yea,

i hated linear algebra, you have to be really tidy when you show all of the row operations, and one false step and your computations are useless.

Calculaters should be useless on an exam, if the teacher is asking for a question so heavy in calculation, rather then the concept, he is pretty lousy. Exam should test how well you know materials.

Linear algebra isn't really an easy topic, when they get passed the basic matrix operation stuff it gets pretty involved and theoretical. I know upper division linear algebra courses are supposed to be killer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back