Cost ideas on fixing iPod 5.5g HP out
Oct 24, 2008 at 3:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

tstarn06

Banned
My daughter's iPod video 5.5g (30GB) has lost sound in one channel via HP out, and as I suspected, when I hook it up to my MiniboxE+ via my new LOD (thanks Lil Knight) it still sounds great via line out (does this put to rest the notion that the iPod LODs do bypass the HP amp circuitry?).

My question is, does anyone know how much it might cost to repair the HP out? Ballpark? Is it worth it? The thing is scratched up (she never used a case) but on balance, still works and sounds fine (I am blown away how good it sounds using the LOD/Minibox combo). Not sure if I should sell it for salvage to a DIYer, or fix it to use myself.

Of course, she couldnt't stand the idea of being iPod-less, so Xmas came early and she got a Touch 2G (32GB).

Oct 24, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #4 of 8
I actually bought one of those headphone jack/hold switches from jigmasta, I definitely recommend them if you are going to buy one. At first I accidentally ordered the wrong one, told them and no questions asked they mutually canceled the transaction and pointed me in the right direction.

Oct 24, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #5 of 8
Already ordered the 30GB model, and found someone to do the repair. I paid my daughter fair market value for the iPod (since she bought with her own money) based on ebay sales, and restored it. Adding my music to it now, and may even keep it as part of my stable of DAPs. Sounds pretty good via the LOD/Minibox, so not sure I made the right move (maybe I should just use it around the house, with the amp/LOD. Oh well, I can always resell it on ebay once it's fixed. People are getting like $120-$140 for used of this model.

Edit/update: Now that I have restored the iPod video and added my music, I am blown away by the LOD/Minibox combo, really. I am listening to shuffled tracks with the amp, LOD and Sleek SA6s, and I can't believe the sound. I had always dissed iPods, based on listening via the HP out jack, but this new cable has really brought out the SQ. Now I'm kind of sorry I spent $265 (w/Amazon coupon) on the 16GB Touch. I could send it back, but... Anyway, I think it's a keeper, and I may not even bother with the HP fix. I can always hang on to the replacement part if I decide to fix it later. This way, I got a 30GB iPod for cheap. I only wish my aging iBook 4G (another hand-me-down from my teenager) had more HD space, so I could load up the iPod.

Oct 24, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #6 of 8
you could pick up an external HDD (or these days even a big USB stick) you can get a TB for about $150 external

Oct 25, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #7 of 8
Funny you should mention it. I have three USB HDs sitting around, a 500GB (my main onsite storage HD), a 160GB (mostly music) nd an 80GB (mostly video). I completely forgot. Can you include tracks on the USB HDs in the iTunes library (so they are on the music list)? Always thought you had to have the tracks physically on the iBook HD. In other words, can I move music from the USB HD directly to the iPod via iTunes?

Oct 25, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #8 of 8
I believe so, can't hurt to try. What you need to do is set up your itunes library to be on the external. When you sync it should work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back