Cosmic with or without the Reference Module?
Jul 8, 2002 at 9:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Lilac_Wine

100+ Head-Fier
I am probably going to upgrade my supreme to a new cosmic. Is it worth the extra $150 to get the reference module? I will probably not get the base station right now, but may get one in the future.

Thanks.

Jul 9, 2002 at 12:39 AM Post #2 of 21
Since the Cosmic is already a bit extreme for portable use, getting the reference version would really be a bit much. However, if you plan on using the Cosmic with non-portable components and you have an extra $150, you may want to consider the reference version.

Jul 9, 2002 at 12:44 AM Post #3 of 21
I agree with DeanA 100%. The regular Cosmic is overkill for portable use. With a home deck I'm not sure too many ears could hear the difference.

Jul 9, 2002 at 1:17 AM Post #4 of 21
From what I have read, the cosmic is a big step up from the supreme mostly as a result of better DACs. I primarily use my system either while travelling (plane, hotel, etc) or at work. I use ety 4s and a portable panasonic 469 player. Once in a while I use it at home with better sources.

Will upgrading to the cosmic make a big differnce through a portable cd player?

Jul 9, 2002 at 1:38 AM Post #5 of 21
It will make a big difference through your home system, especially with the Etys (I use the same combination, although not all the time). Are you using an amp now?

I've only tried the Cosmic once with a PCDP (Sony D-66). The sound seemed to have more body and overall extension, but the results were not dramatic. I suspect the limitation was with the Sony, not the Cosmic.

Assuming you don't have an amp, and your primary use is with a portable, might you consider one of JMT's amps? I have the CHA47, and the results with the 4Ss are magic.

Jul 9, 2002 at 1:42 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Lilac_Wine
I am probably going to upgrade my supreme to a new cosmic. Is it worth the extra $150 to get the reference module? I will probably not get the base station right now, but may get one in the future.

Thanks.

Sorry, I didn't see your first post. I have not heard the Supreme, but I can tell you that it has been a fairly large step up from my old Little/More Power to the Cosmic. Since I believe that the Supreme is somewhat similar to the Little, I suspect that you will hear similar results.

Jul 10, 2002 at 5:13 PM Post #7 of 21
FYI also, Mike over at Headroom advised me to go with the regular Cosmic, and that the RM could be bought separately and modded on without difficulty or loss in sound quality; that may be a route to take.

Love the cosmic btw.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 10, 2002 at 5:32 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Jaggers
FYI also, Mike over at Headroom advised me to go with the regular Cosmic, and that the RM could be bought separately and modded on without difficulty or loss in sound quality; that may be a route to take.

Yes, that certainly is an option. But that upgrade will be a lot more than the $150 difference a new one cost.

Jul 10, 2002 at 5:34 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Jaggers

Thanks for the tip. I did not know that they could go back and add it later.

I think I may go with a regular Cosmic. It seems that the RM may not add that much to the sound.

Jul 10, 2002 at 6:49 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

The HeadRoom travelling show is coming to the bay area this Saturday,

I thought they were going to be in the Bay Area on Sunday.

Jul 10, 2002 at 7:07 PM Post #12 of 21
The tour will be here on Sunday, but I will be out of town. Talk about bad luck
rolleyes.gif

I am still up in the air. I wish I could go to the tour. The thread on the meta42 vs the cosmic has me wondering about going that route.

To many things to check out - To little money.

Jul 10, 2002 at 7:59 PM Post #13 of 21
Well I did it.

I just ordered the cosmic with the reference module and a pair of DT831s. Sometimes I need a bit less isolation than my 4s. It should be here tomorrow.

When the amp arrives I will do a comparison with my Supreme and let you know what I think of the two. I figure that with headroom's return policy, if the amp does not make a big difference, I can return it.

Jul 10, 2002 at 10:25 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

I think I may go with a regular Cosmic. It seems that the RM may not add that much to the sound.

Quote:

Well I did it.

I just ordered the cosmic with the reference module and a pair of DT831s.

I see you went through the same decision process I did. I convinced myself I only needed the regular Cosmic, then I order the Reference model.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 10, 2002 at 11:14 PM Post #15 of 21
At least this way you never have to wonder if it would have sounded a "little" bit better.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back